XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone have paint protection film wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Anyone have paint protection film wrap?

What make do People have wrapped for stone chip protection?

I looked into what the market leaders are at present and I opted to go for XPEL to be applied to the front nose bumper. Reviews were good and meant to have self healing properties unless the film is compromised.

The nearest dealer was an hour away and I looked at some impressive high end super cars with it on with impressive results as hard to spot.

Just been to pick mine up and unfortunately not the same experience for me

Basically a bad fit with edges shown and two really obvious joins at either side of the reg number (looks like scratches) and further to that, the lower lip was only half covered so little protection.

To be fair, the guy was a good bloke and wasn't going to charge. It isn't cheap as well. He blamed it on the template supplied by XPEL and said as its a 2008 car, it's based on a paper template not laser cut? He could have just messed it up I guess?
He offered to take it all off so it's now back as it was! Ha ha

Does anyone else have XPEL fitted? Good fit? Happy?

There is also Suntek but heard their templates aren't good either?

I was looking at a ceramic coating for the rest of the car as to do the whole lot in film is way over 3k!

Last edited by Swisstone; 05-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have XPEL Ultimate. Yes, it's a good fit. It's supposed to have a little extra so that it tucks in and around edges. You can only see my seams when you're literally 2 inches in front of it. But standing upright and looking at the car normally, it's not noticeable.

Also, since you have a 2008, I hope you had it applied on a fresh bumper. 10 year old paint will be very unleveled, have rock chips and nicks, and such that would make the job look mediocre. My 2012 had a few minor imperfections on its bumper that can be seen upclose - so that is normal.

The following users liked this post:
elindo (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 AM

Hi Arnold, so yours is a 2012 with it on? I ask because the bumoer will be different to mine at the fog light area won't it so may be a different template. Do you have any vertical joins?
Im just trying to work out if it's worth going somewhere else or if they use the same XPEL template it will be the same fit? I've also been told that the suntek template for this year are even worse?

Annoying eh as I've seen so many other cars with it on and it looks great and hard to spot.

No I haven't had it re-painted first but it's only done 19k miles so very few stone chips and none on the main upper nose bit before the bonnet thankfully.

Did you get any other bits done?

cheers

Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

You want a shop that can do it custom; not from a template. I had StarShield on the Lotus and it worked well, but a custom shop could've done better than Lotus did at the US Importer... Shop around. Often these shops are promoting at car day / car shows. Find a fancy car with the shielding applied and find out where they had it done.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Yeah sounds like the answer but no one seems to do that in uk anywhere within reasonable distance anyway. Weird as loads of places do full wraps so isn't this the same? Will keep looking.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Swisstone
Yeah sounds like the answer but no one seems to do that in uk anywhere within reasonable distance anyway. Weird as loads of places do full wraps so isn't this the same? Will keep looking.
I smell a business opportunity.
Any place that does a full wrap can do the 3m clear film, its easier than wrap.
I have had it on my car since it left the showroom.
I have myself applied the film to the headlights.

The hardest part in the past was cutting the film, thus they would cut it on a plotter and then apply it. Mine was done that way, and the fit is fantastic. Nowadays they have special wire that allows you to cut the film on the car itself.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Yeah they are missing a trick eh. I have contacted a couple of places but not sure what other film is ok apart from XPEL/SUNTEK as everyone who is their franchise will have the same template? I could buy just 3M film on eBay and have a go but can't think i will be able to do a complex bumper very well! So many different film qualities I guess.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Need for Template is obsolete.
Watch this video- you will completely understand. Just get 3m Pro- I know it to be fantastic and the latest.
p.s. you owe me a pint.

pwpacp (06-15-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:21 PM

Many thanks for that! Very interesting. I would fancy having a go at the bonnet as one flat slab but think moulding it around all the bumper angles would be too tricky for me to make it a good job. It certainly works well for a bonnet but not sure how it could work next to the grill without a rounded edge? Amazed all the local wrappers aren't doing this though?? Same them a fortune being tied to expensive franchises I recon!
Cheers

Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Need for Template is obsolete.
Watch this video- you will completely understand. Just get 3m Pro- I know it to be fantastic and the latest.
p.s. you owe me a pint.
https://youtu.be/lnSSEfBQyMo
Spot on. The best places do not use templates and in some applications, the film can go under the bend, so there is "nothing to cut" in a way.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:27 PM

Yeah I do like it when when it's wrapped round the edge so you just can't see any line that can eventually get polish and dirt trapped but danger of it lifting I guess. Seen a few astons at local shows with absolutely amazing job that you just can't tell. I can't see the point of half bonnet wrap with the line across. I'd have to have the whole bonnet covered! With a very tight single garage, just wish a local expert could do it! Ha ha

Old 05-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Surely the 'wrap' guys in your neck of the woods know about this tool.
If they can wrap a car, they can apply this for you.
Worry not about the edges, its an amateur's worry.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:43 PM

Thanks bud, yes I'll have to speak to some local wrap guys and see what they can offer but none of their web sites currently mention PPF. I travelled an hour for the XPEL guy but look what a mess that was! Ha

Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

What you need is someone with wrap skills- show them the video.
Basically, there is no difference now between vinyl wrap and protection film in terms of the application. Some would say that film is easier since it allows you to use liquid.
Get the film for them, avoid xpel- you had bad experience.
If the film cutting wire is not available in UK, I can send you some.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:01 PM

What a star! Many thanks for all the advice. I will certainly be looking into it and speaking to some wrappers. just one last question, does that 3M Pro actually have a make? Had a quick look on eBay but can't see any but others with various brand names. Just want to make sure I get the stuff that's hard to spot is on and self healing properties like XPEL. I guess you can't just buy Xpel as only licenced retailers?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

In a bizarre coincidence- that video I posted is apparently a British outfit.
Better yet they have all the things you need. They have an installer around you. The drive to Bristol is not too bad- in worst case.

Ask them for what film they recommend, they carry several.
This one looks comparable to the 3M Pro, which apparently is not in the UK yet.
https://shop.spandex.com/en_GB/produ...?q=:popularity

Old 05-29-2017, 04:22 PM

It gets better then! Great help. I'll let you know how I get on. There is a local wrapping place to me so I will speak to them first and maybe if I can buy the wrap then might be able to sort something. Always the other option.
Are you an ex Pat btw and emigrated to USA?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My guy didn't use a template and it turned out wonderful on my 2007 XK coupe.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, moved from London proper. Times were real bad under Maggie, if she had only warned us about the dementia before she made decisions that affected us all.

Have your headlights done while you are at it, it far more important than the paint, if you crack your lens its a grand a piece and more.

elindo (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Yes, moved from London proper. Times were real bad under Maggie, if she had only warned us about the dementia before she made decisions that affected us all.

Have your headlights done while you are at it, it far more important than the paint, if you crack your lens its a grand a piece and more.
Sounds a good move if settled now! Let's hope Trump does you proud then! I didn't think about the headlights so might have to think about that as should be easy to do.