XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

I have a 2010 Jaguar with a wire harness issue and I'm mad about it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have a 2010 Jaguar with a wire harness issue and I'm mad about it.

My wire harness is trash. The design, improper routing, or perhaps the wire harness manufacturer went cheap on the insulation. At this point I don't really care, I just don't think a 2010 Jaguar XF should be having this issue. I've owned a Tahoe for 20 years and never had an issue with the wire harness so I wouldnt think that Jaguar should either. If there are others of you out there who have had an issue with their wire harness i.e. wires breaking let's join together to make some noise. Perhaps we can get Jaguar to take responsibility and fix this issue. I have a 2010 XF with a wire harness issue and I'm mad are you?

Last edited by Max's dream car; 07-21-2017 at 06:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
russmdva2000 (12-26-2020)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Never heard of this before. Use forum Search and see how many have had it and post the results but I suspect you're the only one or one in a tiny few.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you expand on the issues you are having?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

A 20 year old tahoe has nothing in the way of technology and need for hi speed communications that your car has or even newer ones. Wiring harness issues can be a problem in any car, well except the ones with pedals for kids. Elaborate. You can always repair a harness with a overlay and not replace the entire thing (expensive part and labor)

Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by elysiumhunter
Yes, gladly. The common failure is the trunk open light remains on when the trunk is closed. However recently the video wire for my camera has broken too. So far I have repaired the trunk wire but I have not successfully repaired the video wire.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by elysiumhunter
Originally Posted by JagV8
Never heard of this before. Use forum Search and see how many have had it and post the results but I suspect you're the only one or one in a tiny few.
I did the first time it happened that is how I was able to fix my trunk light issue. Never the less, I still feel that the wire harness should not break. I am glad to hear that you have not experienced this issue perhaps I am part of a small group with this issue.

Last edited by Max's dream car; 07-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
A 20 year old tahoe has nothing in the way of technology and need for hi speed communications that your car has or even newer ones. Wiring harness issues can be a problem in any car, well except the ones with pedals for kids. Elaborate. You can always repair a harness with a overlay and not replace the entire thing (expensive part and labor)
The wire harness quality is my concern. I thought that since I'm having this issues others may too and if so our collective voice screams louder than my singular voice. I have repaired the break before and it broke again but this time the video cable wire broke too. Since I have worked with wire harnesses while serving in the military I tried to determine why the wires are breakingby examining the area. All that I can see that might cause the breaking is a poor quality wire shielding as the cause coupled with harness routing. Thanks for your help

Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

We had a Camry a decade ago that the wires that run along the trunk hinge broke because of the stress of repeated opening and closing of the trunk. Looked it up on the web and found it was extremely common on Camry's and a whole bunch of other cars too. Is that what's happened on yours?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
We had a Camry a decade ago that the wires that run along the trunk hinge broke because of the stress of repeated opening and closing of the trunk. Looked it up on the web and found it was extremely common on Camry's and a whole bunch of other cars too. Is that what's happened on yours?
That was my first thought. If this is the case then it is a design flaw. If it's a design flaw I don't think that I should have to pay for the repair. If Jaguar can show me how my way of closing the trunk is causing this reoccurring wire breakage then I will gladly pay for the repair. Otherwise I think they should have a recall and fix their design flaw. Thanks for responding.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

This is a very common and very well known problem on XF Jaguars, and as mentioned it is caused by the constant flexing of the wires as the boot/trunk is opened and closed. Yes, you could argue it is a design flaw, and I have read elsewhere that it's partly due to the way the harness is secured at each end. I have also read that a little effort to relocate the harness securing points usually prevents the problem from reoccurring.
Disclaimer - despite owning two 2010 XFs for a number of years I never had this problem with either of them.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Max's dream car
That was my first thought. If this is the case then it is a design flaw. If it's a design flaw I don't think that I should have to pay for the repair. If Jaguar can show me how my way of closing the trunk is causing this reoccurring wire breakage then I will gladly pay for the repair. Otherwise I think they should have a recall and fix their design flaw. Thanks for responding.

Recalls are for safety issues. This has nothing to do with safety.

Your cars is 8 years old and is long out of warranty. Older cars wear out and break. Forget factory support, irrespective of who made the car and what it cost when new.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

+1

The same kind of flexing broke similar wiring on my previous car (which was not a Jaguar). It was 9 years old by then. A recall? No chance!!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This is a very common and very well known problem on XF Jaguars, and as mentioned it is caused by the constant flexing of the wires as the boot/trunk is opened and closed. Yes, you could argue it is a design flaw, and I have read elsewhere that it's partly due to the way the harness is secured at each end. I have also read that a little effort to relocate the harness securing points usually prevents the problem from reoccurring.
Disclaimer - despite owning two 2010 XFs for a number of years I never had this problem with either of them.
Thanks for your input, I knew I couldn't be the only one. I've also thought that rerouting the wires would prevent this from happening. Perhaps Jaguar will know how best to do that. If this issue is not addressed and corrected it's possible that at some point every owner might experience the same issue. I was hoping to locate some owners who have repaired their cars and others who are considering replacing their wire harness at their own expense to stand with me. Together as loyal XF owners we can help improve our cars and future production models. Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Recalls are for safety issues. This has nothing to do with safety.

Your cars is 8 years old and is long out of warranty. Older cars wear out and break. Forget factory support, irrespective of who made the car and what it cost when new.
I agree that recalls are for safety issues but they also recall for design flaws. This design flaw can be an engineering or cost out issue. If it's an engineering or cost out issue the responsibility of the issue falls back on Jaguar. I assume that you are a proud XF owner and if so, would you rather Jaguar or yourself pay for their design flaw?

Cost out: When a company pressures a supplier to reduce cost to increase profit margin, or supplier reduces quality of their product but believes it still meets design capabilitues to increase their profit margin. In eirher case there is risk associated with the cost out but in the end the customer is the one who suffers.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

And the way the manufacturer looks at it, cars are designed for about a ten year useful life. The first owner is supposed to lease the car for one to two years and they'll bend over backwards to keep that owner happy enough to lease another one. The second owner is supposed to keep it to five years old and they MIGHT consider keeping that owner happy enough to come back and buy another lease return. After that, cars get wholesaled to a note lot and the car is fully expected and specifically designed to fall apart by ten years old (its called planned obsolescence). After all, they've got to be able to sell replacement cars in order to stay in business. If you drive yours past that, its by sheer luck or extraordinary maintenance but they couldn't care less about you because they don't stand to make a profit from you except maybe by selling the last few closeout parts to clear their shelves and make room for parts for the new models.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I too was disappointed by the quality of the wiring harnesses on my '07 XKR. I had read years ago about manufacturers using lighter gauge wire but was surprised to see so much unprotected wiring int he engine bay and under the chassis. While wrangling with my exhaust one of the hangers got tangled up in a bundle to tore two wires before I realized it. Not a horrible repair but every other car I've owned from '68 on has had better protection.

What I've found on hinges is to make the wire bundle twist vs. bend at the pivot point. Making a loop or changing what part of the harness flexes will relieve the stress on the wires.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Max's dream car
I agree that recalls are for safety issues but they also recall for design flaws.
No, that's a 'campaign' and is introduced by a TSB (technical service bulletin) when cars (usually only those still under warranty) are experiencing issues in significant numbers. There may or may not be commercial support for the parts/labour involved in the TSB for those outside warranty. It is applied to individual cars in response to owner complaints or as routine service as directed by Jag.

Pretty much all OEMs are the same in this respect.

Jag may revise/improve parts as the model series progresses but minor stuff like a wiring harness would not be offered as a campaign.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I too was disappointed by the quality of the wiring harnesses on my '07 XKR. I had read years ago about manufacturers using lighter gauge wire but was surprised to see so much unprotected wiring int he engine bay and under the chassis. While wrangling with my exhaust one of the hangers got tangled up in a bundle to tore two wires before I realized it. Not a horrible repair but every other car I've owned from '68 on has had better protection.

What I've found on hinges is to make the wire bundle twist vs. bend at the pivot point. Making a loop or changing what part of the harness flexes will relieve the stress on the wires.
Thanks for your response. It appears that I'm caught between a rock and a hard place should I stand up for myself and others or should I listen to the nay sayers who will in turn benefit from my efforts. What quality should a person expect from premium car ownership? I disagree with those who believe electrical wiring is a minor issue. To me that's like saying your veins and arteries are a minor part of the cardiovascular vascular system. Without good quality wiring all the great tech in the world cant keep your XF up and running to spec. I'LL hang around a bit longer to see I can get some momentum but if not I am prepared to tackle this by myself. Thanks again for your thoughts on how to relieve street from the harness.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I don't see people arguing it's minor but I do see people saying it's not a recall one.

At the age of most of the cars which are not suffering this, you'll need some luck to get anywhere.

Here, the wiring probably meets the sufficiently "durable" standard easily but I realise USA is very litigious (and I suppose that puts up the cost to car makers who pass it on in the price).

Old 07-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Compared to 4.0L engines self destructing due to design issues of cam chain tensioners, a wiring issue with a trunk lid is indeed minor.