F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I knew Jags had a reputation for electrical problems, but this is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I knew Jags had a reputation for electrical problems, but this is crazy!

Hey guys,

3rd day driving a brand new F-Type and on the way to work the AC cuts off, the screen goes black, and the blindspot / camera system stops working.

On my screen it says "Camera system fault". It came back a couple times and then shut off again, it works whenever it feels like it. Restarting the car doesn't fix it either.

Anybody experience this? Any quick fix or do I need to take it to the dealer? I'm assuming it will be covered under warranty so I won't have to pay and can expect a loaner car?

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Newer Jags the past several years have gotten allot better and electrical gremlins are a distant memory. Seems like you have a one-off issue. Take it in for warrant work and let us know what the issue was. I've had my 'R' for a bit over 2 years now and has been very reliable with no electrical gremlins.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Many Jag electrical problems are caused by a dud or flat battery, or poor battery connection(s).
The first thing I would check are the battery terminal connections and especially the earth connection (running from the negative terminal to a bolt/post on the floor of the trunk).
If they are all good and tight it is possible the battery itself is faulty, maybe a crook cell.
Just because it's a new car doesn't always mean the battery is 100% OK.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That's just bad luck. I have had 2 Range Rovers and the F-Type. Never had any problems.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes as they said. The Jag "British" "Lucas" electrical reputation is from history and not current but any new car can have some one off faults that need attention. Dealer will sort this out for you.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just to note, there are a few of us who have had major electrical problems indicating that the British Gremlin is not quite dead. Saying that, after a few warrantied repairs, it does look like my car has settled down and now appears reliable.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Typically, electrical problems in modern cars including Jaguars are related to battery weakness. And by the way, restarting the car will sometimes clear some issues, however, you need to lock the car with the key fob after the car is off, then restart.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
Hey guys,

3rd day driving a brand new F-Type and on the way to work the AC cuts off, the screen goes black, and the blindspot / camera system stops working.

On my screen it says "Camera system fault". It came back a couple times and then shut off again, it works whenever it feels like it. Restarting the car doesn't fix it either.

Anybody experience this? Any quick fix or do I need to take it to the dealer? I'm assuming it will be covered under warranty so I won't have to pay and can expect a loaner car?
I have had it happen to me a few months back. They ended up replacing the main computer or something. Took about a week. Got a nice Hyundai Santa Fe as a loaner

Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigdaddy, where did you end up purchasing your Jag? Was it athe Greenville or somewhere else?

ajn

Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

You could also try disconnecting the battery for a bit to reboot the system.

jaguny (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Same thing happened to my friend F-Pace. They ended up replacing the whole computer module for the infotainment system. The electronic gremlins are more common than people on this forum want to admit. His battery was fine.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Based on my huge sample of one vehicle- Beemers have 10X the electrical problems of Jags, and I am unanimous in this opinion.

rtcosic (07-27-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Based on my huge sample of one vehicle- Beemers have 10X the electrical problems of Jags, and I am unanimous in this opinion.

I've had 3 BMWs: 1984 E30 320i, 2001 E38 740i Sport and 2011 E90 328i.
Save for the E90 ALL had pretty bad issues, especially the 7-series. Lots of fun to drive and as far as the sport-luxury sedans are concerned pretty much the best, but boy oh boy was I happy I purchased a warranty...

Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 PM

I called the dealer and they first said that they would not be able to take my car for 3 weeks. They then said that they won't be able to give me a loaner until 3 weeks from now if I bring it in....

Is that normal? This is really inconvenient.

Originally Posted by Nowakoaj
Bigdaddy, where did you end up purchasing your Jag? Was it athe Greenville or somewhere else?

ajn
I got it from a dealership in Richmond, VA.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

No, although I sometimes wait for service up to a week or so, they use enterprise for loaners so no waiting for that. Dealer picks up my car, drops loaner and vice versa on return at my home or office.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
No, although I sometimes wait for service up to a week or so, they use enterprise for loaners so no waiting for that. Dealer picks up my car, drops loaner and vice versa on return at my home or office.
Hmmm, it seems like my dealers down here don't know what customer service is. Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do? Driving the car with no AC, no blindspot assist, and no rear camera is extremely hard and risky imo. I can't do this for too long... I daily drive the F-Type.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Hmmm, it seems like my dealers down here don't know what customer service is. Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do? Driving the car with no AC, no blindspot assist, and no rear camera is extremely hard and risky imo. I can't do this for too long... I daily drive the F-Type.
That's an unacceptable wait. Call the general manager / owner of the dealership.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
That's an unacceptable wait. Call the general manager / owner of the dealership.
Sounds good. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Sounds good. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Oh yes, for sure.. this kind of wait for an obvious warranty item on a new purchase and possible safety issue.. They should be all over this.

Let us know how it goes.

I've got 3 jaguars right how, which totals 5 over the last 10 years and have not had any issues worth being concerned with and when I did have something like an update, my dealer was all over the situation with a loaner car as well.
Lawrence

Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Oh yes, for sure.. this kind of wait for an obvious warranty item on a new purchase and possible safety issue.. They should be all over this.

Let us know how it goes.

I've got 3 jaguars right how, which totals 5 over the last 10 years and have not had any issues worth being concerned with and when I did have something like an update, my dealer was all over the situation with a loaner car as well.
Lawrence
I bought my car from another dealership (my local dealer didn't have the model I was looking for.) Do you think that would have any effect on getting decent service?