F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What radar detector in your F-type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What radar detector in your F-type?

Just wondering what radar detector you run in your F-types. Mine is a 2016 R so I assume the window issue is not a factor as with the 2017s. Also considering a remote detector in the grill. Thoughts? What do you like?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I use a Beltronics Magnum STI. If I were to buy new, I would get the Uniden R3. For remote, I would get Net Radar and ALP laser jammers.

BTW, my F Type is the 2017 model so the Beltronics does have reduced range.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I've got a Valentine1 that I had updated two years ago. There's a lot of K-band noise around here so I disabled it. I have it above the mirror, to the driver's side, and it's hard-wired at the overhead console.

I like it, mostly, but might not buy it if I were to purchase new. Maybe I would, but I don't know. I haven't researched this in years.

The following users liked this post:
NavyBlue (10-04-2021)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently looking into this as well. I've used a V1 in all my cars for the last 14 years. Unfortunately, I have a 2017 coupe with the silly windshield. The V1 is too large to mount it the small cutout area to the left of the rear-view mirror.

I am looking into buying the Radenso Pro SE Radar Detector (link) because of it's small size and extra sensitivity.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Valentine One with mirror mount. I have the remote display placed at the 12V outlet so the detector looks like it is off.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by speedski
I use a Beltronics Magnum STI. If I were to buy new, I would get the Uniden R3. For remote, I would get Net Radar and ALP laser jammers.

BTW, my F Type is the 2017 model so the Beltronics does have reduced range.
Important point here. I don't know about Colorado, but in Atlanta nearly all interactions with the police are started with LIDAR. If that's the case where you are laser jammers are far more important than radar detectors. It's so much the case where I am that when I do my next install I'll forego a radar detector altogether.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I would get Net Radar and ALP laser jammers.

+1

Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM

The other thing to remember about radar dectectors and laser jammers is that they only help if you don't change your driving style. If you get the best radar/laser protection but change your driving to where you think you can't get tickets, you will get more tickets. And don't forget to use Waze, rabbits, common sense and memorize common speed traps to avoid getting tickets.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

In my part of Texas, it all looks to be laser so I decided to remove the radar detector I had moved over from my S4; allegedly you're more likely to be written up a ticket if they see a detector in the windscreen, even though they are perfectly legal. Intention and all that.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
In my part of Texas, it all looks to be laser so I decided to remove the radar detector I had moved over from my S4; allegedly you're more likely to be written up a ticket if they see a detector in the windscreen, even though they are perfectly legal. Intention and all that.

I agree but if you go with a remote radar detector the cop won't be able to see it on your windshield! Of course, if he hits you with instant on and you slow down right after he turned his radar on, it's pretty obvious that you have radar detector.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

In my state, laser jammers are illegal.

So I used to run a Valentine1. After getting tickets with it from instant-on laser, and having one of cops say something to the effect, "I would have given you a warning but you have a radar detector," I decided to sell it on eBay.

Since getting rid of it and relying purely on Waze instead, I've been pulled over once. I received only a warning despite going 20mph over.

Food for thought.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

I also decided the windscreen space (a little more limited on the F-Type than my previous cars) was better served with a dashcam over a radar detector ;-)

Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jfranks
In my state, laser jammers are illegal.

So I used to run a Valentine1. After getting tickets with it from instant-on laser, and having one of cops say something to the effect, "I would have given you a warning but you have a radar detector," I decided to sell it on eBay.

Since getting rid of it and relying purely on Waze instead, I've been pulled over once. I received only a warning despite going 20mph over.

Food for thought.

Radar detectors are not really effective against laser, even the V1 which is one of the most laser sensitive radar detectors. Basically unless you are really lucky, when your radar detector goes off to Laser it is just telling you that you got a ticket. So if you just have laser in your area, don't bother with a radar detector.

The fact that a cop can't see them definitely makes a strong case for remote radar mounts, even more for 2017 models with the athermic windshield. Unfortunately, remote units are expensive.

As for Laser, Waze, rabbits, sharp eyes and knowledge of speed traps are your best line of defense if you aren't willing to invest in laser jammers.

And as for Laser Jammers being illegal, I don't know what the laws are in Texas but in California laser jammers are "fix it" ticket and don't go on your record. The joke is that radar jammers are illegal, but so is speeding.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

And as for Laser Jammers being illegal, I don't know what the laws are in Texas but in California laser jammers are "fix it" ticket and don't go on your record. The joke is that radar jammers are illegal, but so is speeding.
Oh, in Illinois they fine you $100 and then take your jammer if you get caught.

"The radar or laser jamming device or mechanism shall be seized by the law enforcement officer at the time of the violation."

Source: Illinois Vehicle Code 625 ILCS 5/12-613

Old 07-26-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jfranks
Oh, in Illinois they fine you $100 and then take your jammer if you get caught.

"The radar or laser jamming device or mechanism shall be seized by the law enforcement officer at the time of the violation."

Source: Illinois Vehicle Code 625 ILCS 5/12-613

I should mention that if you use your jammers correctly (turn them off after you slowed down), the chance that you get caught is very low.

This is different than radar and instant on, where the officer can hear the doppler of you slowing down after he has turned the radar on, making it obvious that you have a detector.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What is rabbits?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
What is rabbits?
Small furry animals. Like to hop and eat carrots.

wgbergman (10-01-2021)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Small furry animals. Like to hop and eat carrots.

A rabbit is a car that is driving quickly that you pace at a good distance. The idea being that they will get pulled over instead of you. Plus when you see them braking for no reason, you know what's up

mbelanger (05-20-2021)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A rabbit is a car that is driving quickly that you pace at a good distance. The idea being that they will get pulled over instead of you. Plus when you see them braking for no reason, you know what's up
Ah I see. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

I looked at laser jammers at one point but as I don't spend most of my daily driving in unfamiliar areas (local knowledge of favourite hiding places is helpful) or over the limit frequently it seemed the cost of the hardware outweighed the likely ticket cost especially if defensive driving courses can make it go away every couple of years.

mbelanger (05-20-2021)