F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a coupe and looking for some advice

Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a coupe and looking for some advice

Hey guys, hope you all aren't tired of these types of posts yet.

I've been seriously considering a used BMW 650i xDrive and realized I could get an F-Type for the same price or just slightly more. I have a few questions though to try and steer me to the right build.

A 2015 base V6 fits my budget easily. Besides the additional power, what features would I be missing out from the V6 S? I know about the dynamic dampers. How big of a difference does it make? Do the dampers control body roll or give a softer ride or both? I live around a lot of crappy roads so I'd like to have the softest ride if possible. Also, I hear the base V6 is missing some of the interior ambient lighting?

Ideally I'd love a 2016 V6 S AWD, especially given the extra year of warranty. I won't be buying until around March of next year so hopefully the price dips by then. Do you guys feel going with a CPO is worth it? I could probably get a third party extended warranty for cheaper with more comprehensive coverage, but I like the thought of a car going through a multi-point inspection before being sold to me.

I really like the models with the flared side skirts, is there a particular package that adds thoses? Are they available on the base V6?

Given that this would be my daily driver, would any of you recommend I stick with my plan to get a 650i? I'm coming from a 328i coupe which is incredibly fun to drive. The 650i doesn't have the same fun factor but has loads of power and more seating and cargo capacity in case I ever need it. I can only think of a couple times a year where the space in the F-Type may be lacking in space though.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read and help out.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 PM

Oh, and finally, is there a comfort difference between the seats of the base and S models?

Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by intotheblue
Oh, and finally, is there a comfort difference between the seats of the base and S models?
Both base and S come with the "sports" seats as standard, and both had the (expensive!) option of the "performance" seats. The performance seats were standard on the R. Opinions vary on which is more or less comfortable than the other, some say the sports seats are more comfortable, some say the performance seats are. Most would agree the performance seats look better.
Some find the central stitching/ridge on the performance seats to be uncomfortable, but really only on new seats, it/they soften up after a while.
As with most things F-Type you need a few long and varied test drives with different spec cars to decide your preferences.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Just on the comfort, the suspension has a lot to do with it as well. The base doesnt have adaptive suspension and its setting is pretty hard. The S has adaptive suspension and its setting is firm, cranking up to hard when you engage dynamic.

That said, I think that the softness of the seats is a major factor, as OzXFR said. Mine are pretty good at about 12,000km.

If you have bad roads, I wouldnt be buying the base - I found it a bit jarry though the one I tested was on 20's.

I've never driven a car more fun to drive than the F Type, although the XE is beautiful to drive and the suspension on poor roads is like nothing else I've driven. It doesnt quite have the wow factor of the f type, though.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:42 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I currently have a MY '16 F-Type R. I've recently owned a MY '14 650i Gran Coupe. If you're looking for a daily driver, I would suggest the 650i. If you're looking for a fun car, in my opinion, there is nothing out there better than the F-Type. If u don't mind a full-size sedan, might I suggest the Jaguar XJ? My 2 cents.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you plan on driving in winter in snow, the 650 may be a better choice, although some here do drive in winter. With regard to space, I haven't had a serious space issue unless you want to bring more than 1 person or something large. I do use the passenger seat for the occasional large box or object.

The following users liked this post:
Brazi71 (09-05-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:56 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

V6S has a mechanical limited-slip differential (LSD), which the base does not have. It's tuned for a bit more power/torque, and has slightly longer gear ratios.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
V6S has a mechanical limited-slip differential (LSD), which the base does not have. It's tuned for a bit more power/torque, and has slightly longer gear ratios.
Please don't forget the "S" badging Dave. Independent of the added 40 horses, the badge has proven to be good for an additional 5 MPH. My 2-cents.

To be fair to the OP: the fact of the matter is in whatever configuration, in whatever color combination, the F-Type (any F-Type) is sure to leave a permanent mark (smile) on your face and there ain't too many cars, if any, which can do that.

You will not be disappointed (with or without any damn badge on the car).

Good luck!
RJ52

P.S. Good call on a coupe.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-07-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

If space is not an important consideration, I would get a F Type over the 650. I've driven many cars over many years and the Jag never fails to put a smile on my face.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually also traded in a 650i for the F-Type. The difference in v8's is crazy. This is how I'd compare them:

650i
- Much more luxurious (better materials, bigger sunroof)
- Slightly smoother ride
- Obviously roomier.. Front & back
- A decade ahead in tech. REALLY miss the HUD/Infotainment.
- HEAVY.
- Fairly quiet, luxury exhaust

F-Type
- Very little utility.
- Far, far faster & better drive.
- Loud, sports car exhaust
- Much better styling (Maybe subjective.. But all BMWs are becoming just longer/shorter/taller versions of each other)

I'd only get the F-Type if you either have a backup car for utility or have access to one.

The following 2 users liked this post by xoai:
BostonKiller (08-09-2017), Brazi71 (09-05-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a 2017 F-type Premium manual w/some awesome upgrades in Germany. Owned a 335 and Z3 bimmers previously, currently also a lexus. Said all that to say, none compare to the fun of driving the F-type, driving through the curvie country roads outlining the Rhine River at 65-85 MPH is out of this world. Pushed it against some decent power speedsters; bmw 550, 650, Audi A8 and RS up to 145 MPH at the autobahn and none could come close in the 1st 2-3 miles. Oviously the V8s cruise pass 140 easily, but trust me, getting in front of them manually shifting it's worth it. BTW, they seemed surprised of the f type take off speed jumping in front of them. Lastly, fewer f-types than Benz, bimmers and porches at least here in Germany. Best sport coupe I've ever driven.

JagAlb (08-11-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you want non stop attention, get the f type....non stop.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Intotheblue,
Comparing the 650i to the F-type is an unfair comparison for both models. The 650i is a much larger car, a grand tourer with tons more interior space and the driving/riding characteristics of a larger car. The F-type is the 2 seat sports car that rides and drives like one. They're both terrific in their own ways. BMW's 2 seat "sports" car, the Z4 isn't really comparable to the F-type, but if you're looking seriously at the 650i, you might want to look at picking up a 2014 or 2015 XKR. Larger and more grand tourer than an F-type, better handling, quicker, and possessing the same V-8 that offers all sorts potential horsepower upgrades. Is it as fun as the F-type, of course not, is it more fun than a 650i (and better looking to boot) than a 650i, absolutely!

Either of your choices will be great, but you really ought to decide as to what the most important aspects of each meet your needs.

Attached Thumbnails Considering a coupe and looking for some advice-10-xkr_05.jpg   Considering a coupe and looking for some advice-ftype.jpg  
Queen and Country (08-11-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

I wouldn't consider any other Jag besides the F-Type because it really is the best looking non-supercar ever made. Options to test drive around me are limited so I drove a base V6 last week without the pano roof or sport exhuast (for shame). I felt like a million bucks driving it, but I didn't really push it too hard with the salesman riding with me, plus the lack of sport exhaust killed some of the fun.

I drove a 640i xDrive the next day and it didn't have much of a fun factor and I didn't feel as rich driving it, probably because the interior is basically like my 328i in layout, just wider and [a lot] more plush. On paper, a 650i xDrive has a .4 secsecond faster 0-60 than a V6 S. I also really enjoyed driving the Mercedes C450, but I think I'd be dumb to choose that over an F-Type considering I can get a base V6 for the same price.

There's probably only 2-3 weekends a year where I would push the cargo capabilities of the F-Type, but could still manage. I just have to get better at managing clutter. The one feature I would regret if I went with the Jag would be active cruise control.

I live in Maryland where we get rain and maybe a week or two of bad winter weather.
If I can find a 2016 V6 S AWD for $50k by March it would be a no brainer. By buying a 2016 I'll get 3 years left of factory warranty versus 1 for a 2015 so that makes financial sense to me. I'll turn 35 by then, so I do also value the attention factor if I'm spending that kind of money. I know I can't go wrong if I went with a 650i with all that tech and an aftermarket exhaust, but I'm on a real F-Type fix right now. Silver, white, or green are really speaking to me.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Dave
I believe the S has shorter gearing because of the higher rear end ratio. (engine speed will be higher at the same road speed).

Old 08-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Having just put the 18" wheels back on, the main thing I notice is the reduction in weight - the steering and acceleration/braking are noticeably quicker.

The ride seems pretty much the same.

Didn't notice going the other way as I was still running it in...

Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The BMW 6 is an old stale design reworked. It belongs in no-man's land, neither a sports car nor luxury. Fundamentally inadequate at both. The resale values reflect this, even buy-here-pay-here lots avoid having them so as not to give the impression of selling unreliable cars.

The 6 series came about by removing 2 doors from the 7, which itself was a scaleable design with several cars in the range. The Ftype was designed as the Ftype.

JagAlb (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

By the way, asking for which God, in this chapel we have strong reasons to our choice = F-Type! But even if we were wrong it'll be F Type all the way out of this corridor. It's a liberal religion though, not jealous at all if we remain few :-)

Last edited by JagAlb; 08-12-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The new 6 series "Grand Turismo" underscores how they have lost the plot or perhaps how gullible folks have become. Its one of the ugliest things I have seen in motoring for the money. Take the badge away and its a Taurus. And one has to ask to what end? was the 7 series that much different.

RickyJay52 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

I concur. I had one ahead of me on the drive in this morning - but not for very long - and even remarked to my wife how ugly it is. To each his/her own...just not for me!

Search this Thread