XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wouldn't it be sweet if Ian Callum gets his wish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts
Default Wouldn't it be sweet if Ian Callum gets his wish?

Jaguar's Ian Callum Wants to Bring Back the XK - Motor Trend

The following 4 users liked this post by Sean W:
Barry Leftwich (04-14-2022), Cee Jay (10-18-2017), Queen and Country (10-19-2017), sherbercars (10-20-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Very unlikely to happen. What's more likely will be the introduction of an (extended wheel base) 2+2 F-Type.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm torn in this subject. The nostalgic side of me would love nothing more than a new vehicle with the beautiful styling of the XK, but modern electronics, creature comforts, and performance. (That's not to say that the XK is a slouch, but hopefully, you know what I mean) Then there's the logical side of me which realizes that the only reason nostalgia exists is because they don't make the XK anymore. That rarity and finality is what makes them nostalgic, so I don't want them to come out with a new one because it makes the old ones somehow less special.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I dream of an XK revival but I would hate to see one.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag XKR
I'm torn in this subject. The nostalgic side of me would love nothing more than a new vehicle with the beautiful styling of the XK, but modern electronics, creature comforts, and performance. (That's not to say that the XK is a slouch, but hopefully, you know what I mean) Then there's the logical side of me which realizes that the only reason nostalgia exists is because they don't make the XK anymore. That rarity and finality is what makes them nostalgic, so I don't want them to come out with a new one because it makes the old ones somehow less special.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I dream of an XK revival but I would hate to see one.
Jagxkr I had that same exact thought whilst pulling out of my driveway today

In my opinion are xk's are something very special, unfortunately if a brand new xk hit the market I have a feeling it would make our current vehicles look old and dated virtually overnight.

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 10-19-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think Jaguar will have hard time competing with Mercedes SL and 911 if they bring it back. If you want a boat with a big engine and all creature comforts you will be hard pressed to outdo SL or S-Class Cab. For people that want performance over creature comforts you have 911s. So both ends of the spectrum are already covered.

Remember, new XK/XKR would cost around what F-type does.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I think Jaguar will have hard time competing with Mercedes SL and 911
Sinnerman, I agree with much of your thinking, but this is absurd.

Nothing competes with SL but its atrocious looks.

He has always wanted to compete with Maserati , Panamera. Its about sales figures.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Is Panamera selling? I was under impression that Cayenne (SUV) moves well and Panamera is a laggard. I checked sales figures, and Cayenee is about 1400/mo to Panamera 400/mo in North America. So not as bad as I thought.

To compare, F-pace is about 1500/mo and F-type is about 300/mo.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Nothing competes with SL but its atrocious looks.
While I agree with you, SL is still a very cushy ride. However, unlike us, people seem to like fugly SLs. They move about 300/mo or as many as F-type.

I think the last good looking SL was R129.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Is Panamera selling? I was under impression that Cayenne (SUV) moves well and Panamera is a laggard. I checked sales figures, and Cayenee is about 1400/mo to Panamera 400/mo in North America. So not as bad as I thought.

To compare, F-pace is about 1500/mo and F-type is about 300/mo.
If memory serves, Panamera outsold 911 (while it was fresh)

Yep Cayenne outsells all Porsches combined.

That's why Jag has a brilliant strategy, it rules the Utility vehicle market, and invented the category.
But they dont have a 4 seats sports car- the next big category after SUVs.

Tata is going to bring back Daimler- I believe that's the next move, they are also missing a 'Halo' product. All the other manufacturers have it! Insanely expensive money loosing cars they only intend to sell a handful of. LFA, Veyron, Maybach, etc.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

While I agree with you, SL is still a very cushy ride. However, unlike us, people seem to like fugly SLs. They move about 300/mo or as many as F-type.

I think the last good looking SL was R129.
WOW.

MB always surprises me. They have some smart folks there. Despite me personally not liking anything they currently offer, they were #1 in luxury car sales last year.

I believe MB has a reputation they have worked very hard to build over 50 years.
Including hiring Lewis Hamilton- long live the Queen.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

So what car is currently in-between MB and 911? F-type.

For all of these reasons I think JLR reasonably decided that developing and offering new XK will mostly cannibalize F-type sales. Sorry to say that, but the reason you won't likely to get new XK is because I have my F-type.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So what car is currently in-between MB and 911? F-type.

For all of these reasons I think JLR reasonably decided that developing and offering new XK will mostly cannibalize F-type sales. Sorry to say that, but the reason you won't likely to get new XK is because I have my F-type.
Then again the reason I bought my XK was because the F-type was to small. It's all a matter of what you want and what you like. I too don't believe the XK will return.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

A Panamera coupe if comes out is going to be a huge hit. Panamera generally looks like a 4th grader drew a 911 with 4 doors. Some in the right colors and wheels look decent (someone on this forum I think got one that looked hot).

Jaguar has a different design ethos now than when the XK was being penned. I don't think they'll revert the styling to those cues when JLR's chips are falling in place across the portfolio.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

A 4 seater F-type??

The question is, what in the JLR line competes with the:
LC 500
Ghibli
M6 or the new one that looks like an XK
Bentley GT
S-class Coupes
Panamera
Audi S7

There is trend there- its a distinct category catered to by the top manufacturers in the world.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Jaguar has a different design ethos now than when the XK was being penned. I don't think they'll revert the styling to those cues when JLR's chips are falling in place across the portfolio.
Totally agree- but.
When the XK was penned, it was the odd man out.
Today, there are more cars that employ the essential formula than not. i.e. its a growing not shrinking category.
BMW did not even have the series, now there is a new series.

p.s even the latest BMW. Hold on to your heart Moses, its a Pinninfarina. But not very pretty, plus its Germanic.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

WOW.

MB always surprises me. They have some smart folks there. Despite me personally not liking anything they currently offer, they were #1 in luxury car sales last year.

I believe MB has a reputation they have worked very hard to build over 50 years.
Including hiring Lewis Hamilton- long live the Queen.
MB was hoping to use M. Schumacher to sell cars, but that's not happening now unfortunately. He did lend his hand on SLS and maybe the GT as well? Lewis is a good salesman, but he caters to different element with his younger age. MB's styling is a lot younger looking now than it was. Is this just a coincidence?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Totally agree- but.
When the XK was penned, it was the odd man out.
Today, there are more cars that employ the essential formula than not. i.e. its a growing not shrinking category.
BMW did not even have the series, now there is a new series.

p.s even the latest BMW. Hold on to your heart Moses, its a Pinninfarina. But not very pretty, plus its Germanic.
That a BMW a home run! That side view is super hot IMO. Numb steering, stereo engine sounds and all... Don't envision myself ever buying one though.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
MB's styling is a lot younger looking now than it was. Is this just a coincidence?
No MB has its finger firmly on the pulse.
They understood their shortcomings and worked on them.

Take BMW for instance, why they wont let the Kidneys go is beyond me. its as if they pen something brilliant and then in gestapo fashion demand their designers add the 'kidneys'. Such a rate limiting step to be beholden to.

Jaguar was also smart to abandon theirs. This is not the era of the counterproductive big grills. Unless you are Chrysler 300.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of 4th grader drawing doors on a coupe. The BMW looks good even that way.

not so much

Old 10-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

The next XK? all I would have to do is a Gantley conversion

Quick Reply: Wouldn't it be sweet if Ian Callum gets his wish?