XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

wonder what the custom guys would do

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default wonder what the custom guys would do

After watching these custom car shows on Velocity tv I wonder what some of these designers would do if they had an X150 to play with. How much could they change it and what areas would the work the most . You know the shows like Kindig or overhaulin or speed is the new black , fantomworks and so on. Just curious even though it may seem sacrilegious but what the heck.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Kindig would destroy it then ask a ridiculous amount of $$$ for it, as he became a narcissistic jerk after he got his show. His shop is not too far from me, been there many times. Not lately though because he's changed. He used to be a great guy.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Long convoluted story short, "we" are one of those shops. every award and seven figure builds.

They hate the XK at the shop.
There isnt much they can do and its not Americana. Zero association- totally alien. Its almost a cultural test.

Its a community of shops because all the vendors are interlinked, upholster, plating, fabricators. The reaction is pretty much universal. There is a pomp associated with Jaguars that is counter culture-not of Jaguar's fault. The irony is that they/we routinely convert older Camaros to be like our XK. At an astronomical price, 200K and up. I posted pic of one while back.

Happy to share with Jaguar lovers secrets begrudgingly extracted.
Accentuating the stance and the rear, as done with Aston. The bones are already there. It totally transforms the Camaro, even Mustang, both of which are actually flat at the hips.

Think of the Eagle speedster, it differs from your etype by simply shortening the vertical proportions and you have magic.

The rear diffuser needs to be pronounced. Front bottom grill is a challenge that even Jag could not solve, it competes with the oval. I dont think anything can be made to transition from a oval to rectangle necessary. Gantley had the best idea, on all of the above, except the stance. Until you see it in person you would not believe what a impact it has. tremendous.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

How to ruin a masterpiece

Attached Thumbnails wonder what the custom guys would do-14626336370_e8d81f1c67_b.jpg   wonder what the custom guys would do-images-36-.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 10-21-2017 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
NBCat (10-22-2017), Queen and Country (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
How to ruin a masterpiece
Yep...it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
How to ruin a masterpiece.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...d81f1c67_b.jpg.

I like the black roof mod, but nothing else. It's reminiscent of the original Acura NSX. Painting the larger RS spoiler black makes it look tacked on, and the huge wheels are way out of proportion.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...d81f1c67_b.jpg.

I like the black roof mod, but nothing else. It's reminiscent of the original Acura NSX. Painting the larger RS spoiler black makes it look tacked on, and the huge wheels are way out of proportion.
Expect to see that in a convertible top vinyl too in the near future, as was popular on the Lincolns. It was the cat's meow in the 80's.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Expect to see that in a convertible top vinyl too in the near future, as was popular on the Lincolns. It was the cat's meow in the 80's.
Hopefully without the coach lights, Landau bars, and pin stripes.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

They'd 'F' it up. Hard to pander to their sponsors on a car that needs to be totally custom built due to the lack of aftermarket support.

Some cool things I'd like to see would be a convertible hardtop. The fabric version doesn't 'flow' with the angular lines.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Still an all-----wouldn't it be interesting to see what a "Foose" XK would look like? No guarantee we would like it but ya gotta admit that some of his work is inspired.
Don't misunderstand, I'm no fan of the Kardasian design school in women or cars but who knows?

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 10-21-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Doesn't seem like there is much one can do outside of elevating an XK to XKR, XKR to XKR to GT Racer, and GT Racer to LeMans winner GT Racer...

Re do the interior? Sure, re do the suspension, why not? Worth it? I doubt it.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Still an all-----wouldn't it be interesting to see what a "Foose" XK would look like? ...
I agree with what Ranchero 50 said - "They'd 'F' it up." I'm sure he wasn't talking about the F-Type.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Foose is pretty good at rendering and all that, but doesn't really know how to actually BUILD a car. Good thing he has lots of guys who do know.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Most of what I'd want changed wouldn't be the kind of things you'd go "wow" over if you did a before/after picture.

Faster interface to turn air conditioning off.

Aluminum door handles.

Aluminum steering wheel buttons.

Glove box button covered in leather, or made out of aluminum.

Aluminum shift surround.

Once you do those, see what chromed plastic looks out of place with the changes you made, and fix it.

The exterior, you are limited by most custom shops to bumper covers and sideskirts. If you're getting spendy, a new hatch with integrated spoiler instead of slap on plastic would be nice.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

So what kind of spoiler is that on the white car, mine is the speed pack spoiler on my black car in picture. The one on the white car seems to be a lot higher, yet doesn't go down near level with the top of the chrome jaguar nameplate like mine and seems to be away from the light lens more. So what is it and where is it available.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

There was a discussion about spoilers recently. Possibly a Mina.

On my '07 I want to do some of the body bits in brushed aluminum. Faux side vent similar to the ALC. aluminum diffuser out back and lip spoiler up front. Down the road possibly a XKRS-GT wing. I like the bumpers and lamps are too difficult to modify (other than updating them).

On the interior I'd love to make replacement inner quarter panels so the seats can go back further without hitting. There's just dead space behind the seat where the vert top mechanism would sit. Crappy half assed compromise of a design for the coupe.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I am always sensitive to the difference between 'customizing' by using stylized fads. Two prime examples of day's fads include include those ever enlarging brake duct openings on either side of the front fascia and the use faux airflow diffusers on the rear bumpers. Neither are really functional, yet everyone slaps them on and they often look ridiculous.

The X100 was pretty good at keeping things on the front and rear clean, yet maintaining corporate identity with modern appearance.
Also, I like the tail end treatments of the newer F Types, but even that stylized razor edge to the trailing surface is becoming a fad among stylists.

In the X150, I'd reexamine the shape of the headlight buckets (especially 2007-2011). I am a big fan of simple ovoid or egg shaped, without the unecessary undulations. Although with LED headlight emerging, even the roundness of an enclosure is up for grabs. If I redid the headlights, then I'd mimic a more traditional style in the taillights.

I'd redo the tacked on appearance of the faux vertical side vents modifying them to look more like traditional Ferrari or '68-69 Vette vents. Although the 2012+ versions looks pretty nice as is. However, even that look is getting overused via BMW, Lexus, et. al. Also I'd rethink the suitcase door handles, and maybe redo or even omit the rear spoiler, if air management could find a workable solution to replace.

And finally, the hood vents on the SC bonnet looks like it was just a trim fitment to cover the hole... which it is. I'd integrate the function with better sheetmetal work in the form of an extractor and forget about trimming it out.

Overall, however, the general shape and proportion of the body lines are nearly perfect to my eye.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 10-23-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
but even that stylized razor edge to the trailing surface is becoming a fad among stylists.
Yes principally, the XK150 is a Savile Row suit or Chanel dress, where needless accoutrements are the things that will make it look like crap.

If its is to be 'timeless' design it cant by definition have any passing fancies, such as arbitrary (in-aerodynamic) sharp lines, smaller than necessary tail lights.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
So what kind of spoiler is that on the white car, mine is the speed pack spoiler on my black car in picture. The one on the white car seems to be a lot higher, yet doesn't go down near level with the top of the chrome jaguar nameplate like mine and seems to be away from the light lens more. So what is it and where is it available.

Not usually a fan of the black roof styling, but it does look interesting on the XK I must say.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

If that car was one color and did not have those rivets in the rear it would be ok.