XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Am I just getting old

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Am I just getting old

Yesterday after driving the Jag I had some items in the passenger seat and the trunk, put in park unlatched the seat belt grabbed the items took them in house came back unloaded trunk went in house watched tv then a couple hours later decided to put Jag in the garage, got in the Jag started to turn ignition and WOW! it was still running from earlier about 2 hours but heat gage was at half way between C and N which was good. About 6 months ago I came home in my Chevy pickup it was evening before dark, got out went in house, the next morning my Wife went out on front porch and noticed the headlights to the truck were on, she walked over opened the door and it was still running, WTH I left it running all evening and all night. Wife just slowly shook her head.
For Xmas Wife is getting me a small retractable chain for my keys.
I have a chain attached wallet that also holds my check book because---------- yip you guessed it, bank has called me, walmart has called me.

Last edited by macdoesit; 11-16-2017 at 11:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by macdoesit:
Andreas Schmieg (11-16-2017), Grant Francis (11-17-2017), Mark Murphy (11-19-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I am so glad I am not the only one. This morning I spend several minutes looking for my car keys AFTER unlocking the car and putting the key in the ignition. Soon it will be time to get Life Alert. LIFE ALERT official website - I've fallen and I can't get up!®

The following users liked this post:
Mark Murphy (11-19-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

You are not alone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (11-17-2017), Mark Murphy (11-19-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Modern Jaguars no need to remember the key as you just leave it in your pocket, but it would likely be that much more likely to leave the car running because you wouldn't need to get your key from the ignition to open your house compared to the old keys. I wonder if you can program modern car to shut itself off after 15 minutes or so with no driver input? Whats dangerous is the potential to leave the car running in a closed garage and the carbon monoxide seep into your house. Please find some means to spur your memory. The engine can overheat and the next owner can replace it, but you yourself are not quite so easy to repair.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,142 Likes on 667 Posts

Leaving the car running is a new one on me. I'm 59 and haven't done that one "yet". But I can't tell you the hundreds of times, I've stood in my shop, and knew I was there for a reason, and have stood there for quite a while, then gave up, and went back into the house, still not remembering what I was doing, or what the heck I went out there for??? Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

The following 2 users liked this post by 89 Jacobra:
Greg in France (11-17-2017), Mark Murphy (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Not once have I forgotten that my car was running... Though I have left the keys in the ignition on a hot summers day over night... But to leave a car running... I bet you want someone to steal it!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:40 AM
Received 302 Likes on 199 Posts

This problem manifests in many ways. Check your fly and check it often.

Grant Francis (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pdupler
Modern Jaguars no need to remember the key as you just leave it in your pocket, but it would likely be that much more likely to leave the car running because you wouldn't need to get your key from the ignition to open your house compared to the old keys. I wonder if you can program modern car to shut itself off after 15 minutes or so with no driver input? Whats dangerous is the potential to leave the car running in a closed garage and the carbon monoxide seep into your house. Please find some means to spur your memory. The engine can overheat and the next owner can replace it, but you yourself are not quite so easy to repair.
Jag is in detached garage 30 feet from house, Mercedes, trike and bike in the shop building the other 3 vehicles are outside.

Last edited by macdoesit; 11-17-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Leaving the car running is a new one on me. I'm 59 and haven't done that one "yet". But I can't tell you the hundreds of times, I've stood in my shop, and knew I was there for a reason, and have stood there for quite a while, then gave up, and went back into the house, still not remembering what I was doing, or what the heck I went out there for??? Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Been there, you are progressing.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daim
Not once have I forgotten that my car was running... Though I have left the keys in the ignition on a hot summers day over night... But to leave a car running... I bet you want someone to steal it!
Jag only has liability insurance. pickup full coverage and 2 Pitbull dogs on dead end country private street, very safe out here.

Last edited by macdoesit; 11-17-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
This problem manifests in many ways. Check your fly and check it often.
Not yet, something to look forward to.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The other day, I thought I'd locked myself out of the house! I usually use the kitchen door off the breezeway and garage. But, as Billy is now guesting here, I try to keep Coco away from him. Not sure how ether f them will take to the other. Billy and Coco have "accepted" the garden and the neighborhood guest cats. ????

Thought I had spare keys "hid away". I do, but they don't fit???? Some past forgotten lock swap?

Well, I do have a way to open the security screen door. But, before I do that, just mebbe.

I got "lucky". The front security screen door and the door itself were not locked. Beware of the locks!!!!! Told myself. I hope I remember....

My "systems". Try to create a pattern and stick to it...

Errands in a bit. Jeep does it. Jaguar fix on hold. Lousy but needed weather....

Carl

Grant Francis (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I replaced my garage door opener with a Chamberlain model with WiFi. I have it set to close 5 minutes after opening and If I drive off and my wife asks if the garage door went down I can look it up on my smart phone and see that it is closed. I can open and close the door from my phone. The things we do to compensate for the loss of our gray matter.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
. . . and 2 Pitbull dogs on dead end country private street, very safe out here.
Hello Mac . . . I'll see your 2 pitbulls and raise you, although I heartily endorse your country location for security, although I heard that last month, there was a case of a stolen bicycle in town here . . . I live on the outskirts of town; all 3 acre blocks; next door on left is ex Superintendent of Highway Police and other side is current local Sargeant, married to District Crown Prosecutor.

Some live in high or low crime areas . . . I live in a zero crime area! All are great neighbours . . . and they all drool over Jaguars!

As for getting old, any fear I had of my adult kids committing me for my growing forgetfulness, has been solved for all time . . . I BLACKMAIL them with the threat that if so, then the Jags, no exceptions, all go to the crusher! Very effective, coz Jaguars have been a central part of all their lives too . . . and they love 'em as much as me.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
89 Jacobra (11-17-2017), Grant Francis (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,142 Likes on 667 Posts

Now that's pretty good, a little Blackmail goes a long way to obedience!

JTS

cat_as_trophy (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by RonaldP
I replaced my garage door opener with a Chamberlain model with WiFi. I have it set to close 5 minutes after opening and If I drive off and my wife asks if the garage door went down I can look it up on my smart phone and see that it is closed. I can open and close the door from my phone. The things we do to compensate for the loss of our gray matter.
I have been known to drive around the block to come back and doublecheck that the garage door is closed. If I get more than a few blocks away before I get that nagging feeling, I will check my video surveillance cameras on my smart phone. But most often I get that feeling about the end of the driveway and I will reverse back up the driveway far enough to see the doors. But its not about getting old. I've been doing that my whole life.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Never had good memory that I know of, yet it's not getting any better, especially when I'm leaving home for errands. My wife always counts the times that I come back to get something that I forgot. I also tend to leave the garage door open, even overnight, so I have installed garage-door-open alarms to both garage doors and with either a sound warning or just an LED that I've located in a spot so I can see it from my bedroom door upstairs since I always seem to remember the garage door when I'm already in bed...

Another thing that I see significantly being affected and which is all about memory capacity is multitasking. I can carry and control less and less number of items in my mind anymore and it is frustrating, but I'm sure that this must be one of the most typical things that happen with getting old.

However, getting out of the car without shutting off the engine is something that I don't remember ever doing. It may be because I know that I will be opening the door to the house and I don't want to have contaminated air entering the house from the garage.

The following 3 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
89 Jacobra (11-19-2017), Daim (11-19-2017), Grant Francis (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Never had good memory that I know of, yet it's not getting any better, especially when I'm leaving home for errands. My wife always counts the times that I come back to get something that I forgot. I also tend to leave the garage door open, even overnight, so I have installed garage-door-open alarms to both garage doors and with either a sound warning or just an LED that I've located in a spot so I can see it from my bedroom door upstairs since I always seem to remember the garage door when I'm already in bed...

Another thing that I see significantly being affected and which is all about memory capacity is multitasking. I can carry and control less and less number of items in my mind anymore and it is frustrating, but I'm sure that this must be one of the most typical things that happen with getting old.

However, getting out of the car without shutting off the engine is something that I don't remember ever doing. It may be because I know that I will be opening the door to the house and I don't want to have contaminated air entering the house from the garage.

I have 7 sets of keys, main set house,Dad's house,shop, 3 different pickups, gate keys, cellar keys,pickup bed cover key and some I don't know.
Separate 2 sets of Jag keys, Separate 2 sets of Mercedes keys, Separate trike keys and bike keys.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

One set of keys on my pocket ring. House, two cars and a couple I'vce forgotten the application.

A spare of each or at least most in the house.

And a set for the house elsewhere... so, I thought?? When needed, so I thought, nothing fit.

Garage door is a 'modern" rollup. but, purely manual. So far, just fine.

The garage people door is an old tech lock. Really old. Old style, really old style key.... Shining brass when I polish it!!

Carl

beaeass C

Grant Francis (11-20-2017)