F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert owners who picked our car... what else did you look at or consider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Vert owners who picked our car... what else did you look at or consider?

WTLDR; Way too long didn't read: What other Roadsters did you consider?

As you can tell by my posts, I'm definitely not technical nor an engineer, nor understand, well... much of anything. But I do love our car. It's the only one I considered. As the F-Type was released, it was the first car in 20 years I realized I would both want, and could afford to buy outright. In the end, I like it even better than the Aston's I would ogle over the years. I live in an area where there were a few on the road, and it was the only head turner out there. When I heard about the manual (it's the only thing I really will drive, because I get distracted easily, beyond simply enjoying what might be the most closely integrated experience of human and machine), that was it. I built it and bought it. I saved a swear jar for 10 years, so I was lucky to be able to pounce.

But I've a friend who's fallen in love with my car, and I'm not fully sure if he can afford the one he may want with all the options, etc, so I said I would do a little research for him, but I figure you guys have been through this... especially the guys that stretched a bit to be able to drive our car.

This guy has driven a 1988 9th Gen Oldsmobile Cutlass since it came out, and deserves a fun car. He's a bit older, and has to have money... so it might be moot.

He wants a convertible, because it reminds him of high school in the early 60s. =)

So, with WAY too many words.... what else did you look at as far as convertibles, and namely sporty roadster 2 seaters vs a BMW, Merc, or Porsche, etc? Is there anything else out there that is *relatively* affordable compared to supercars, or anything even mid to luxury you considered owning vs this car?

Old 12-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

My first vert was a 2003 MR2. Fun little car. Bullet proof. Needed 50 - 100 more hp. Essentially a Corolla that they moved the drive train to the rear. Can be had for peanuts.

I traded that on an 2009 SLK55. Really nice car. A bit spartan cabin. With the top down its' a vert. With the top up it's a hardtop roadster. Nicest feature was the air scarf. It could blow arm air at you neck on a cool night. And since it was electric heat, I'd turn it on on cold winter mornings to warm the cabin quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I also looked at a Boxster. Again a nice car, but virtually unserviceable by a home mechanic being mid engine. Handled like it's on rails. Overpriced.

I've ridden in a couple of Caymans. Boxster with a hardtop.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (12-11-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a manual 620RWHP CTS-V coupe before this... a turbo FR-S, a 2010 BMW M6 Hardtop, a 500rwhp STS-V... a Cobra Covertible... A manual 993 Boxster, a manual Z3, among many others.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I was looking at either a V8 R8 or the V8S. Jaguar offered a big incentive on the V8S so that’s where I went.

I have driven a 981 Cayman S and it’s a LOT of fun, your friend might enjoy that - in GTS trim (if looking for a pre owned example).

Old 12-10-2017, 12:20 AM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I was heavily considering the [new gen] Corvette since I have always been a 'Vette guy, but then the [new gen] Porsche Boxster and Cayman S got my attention (among a couple other considerations) until I saw the F-Type. After driving the V8S convertible, I never looked back. Like you friend in the Cutlass, I feel I am driving a "future" classic muscle car (especially in BRG)!

Old 12-10-2017, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I was looking at buying a ragtop C2 corvette (years from 1962 to 1967) as I was born in Dec of '62 & my wife was born in Sept of '66 between $30K & $50K. In the end we decided that the older technology would mean funding repairs and there was zero to little modern protection in the event of an accident. Upfitting it to new tech (resto-mod) could easily drive the costs up to $80 to $100K and nobody can confirm that value would be retained in the future.

We considered buying a new or late model vette but simply sitting in the floor models at a local auto show and comparing the interiors of different cars solidified our perception that there was no comparison between the Corvette and the Jag. Oddly enough, we decided to buy a coupe in the end even though we started looking for a vert. Our first car when were dating in the early 90's was a 4-year old used '87 vette ragtop with only 4K original miles on it that had been a "garage queen". Here some 25 years later we decided to buy a new R coupe this time around.

There are great examples of these cars in their 1st year (2014) in base models for as little as $35K on the market so as long as he/she does not HAVE to buy new, they can buy a F-Type as economically as they can buy a miata

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-10-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

For your friend who likes your F-Type, but may not want to spend that much...

1) Miata. It's a fine little car and fun to drive - just not as intoxicating as the Jag.
2) Honda 2000. Only available used, but good reliability. Something a bit "different."
3) Boxster. Not a particularly different price point to the F-Type, but it's been around for a while, so he could go used with a range of price points.
4) Mits 3000 GT VR4 Spyder (or twin Dodge Stealth) A bit of a wildcard here, but reasonable in price and enough collector potential to hold its value.

As much as I love the F-Type, I'd hesitate to recommend it to someone who it can't readily afford the depreciation.

Last edited by uncheel; 12-10-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

How about the new 4cyl entry model, when the first version is a “last year’s model”...

Old 12-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel

1) Miata. It's a fine little car and fun to drive - just not as intoxicating as the Jag.
2) Honda 2000. Only available used, but good reliability. Something a bit "different."
3) Boxster. Not a particularly different price point to the F-Type, but it's been around for a while, so he could go used with a range of price points.
4) Mits 3000 GT VR4 Spyder (or twin Dodge Stealth) A bit of a wildcard here, but reasonable in price and enough collector potential to hold its value.

As much as I love the F-Type, I'd hesitate to recommend it to someone who it can't readily afford the depreciation.
Add the Fiat to that list as it is basically a Miata with a bit better looks and history. There are also the used Soltice and Saturn that were also neat cars. A used Mercedes SLK is also a lower-cost model that provide some of the cache as well as a hard top to the mix

The following 2 users liked this post by ndabunka:
Jim F (12-11-2017), Uncle Fishbits (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Convertible was a given, and I had plenty of time to search, planning to sell one of our two XJR's. A given because a Californian has plenty of occasions to drop the top, and there is no easier top to drop or raise -- as I learned while refining my search.
I considered the Cobra reissues, with the brutish sounds and performance, but ultimately decided that Brutish was too much so, not as refined as a British brute. Again, after my research learned of the 550 HP, AWD, and Active Exhaust switch.
The modern Corvettes were also candidates, but candidly seemed far more common than the F type. I had an XKR, a white convertible, bought used with which I first entered the phase where I realized the vehicle was more capable than me. I also had an original E type, black roadster with removable hardtop, and the memories of that ride roaring along the Pacific Coast Highway were, rather are, constantly revisited with the new F type.
Truthfully, I think the coupe is more attractive, but it was never a consideration for me.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded out of a '16 Audi S3. I had test driven a '13 SLK55, and a 2010 Lotus Evora... and just in case, a '17 Miata FD (folding hard top). THose were the only cars I was considering for the price range. The SLK was a close call, but the fact that it looked pretty much like every other SLk and most people have no idea what is actually is, plus the old man impression, eliminated it from contention. The Evora was awesome, an affordable super car. But my wife could barely get in an out of it, due to a knee replacement. That made it a non-starter. And the Miata desperately needed a power adder.

So the F-Type checked all of the positive blocks and few to none of the negatives.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,124 Likes on 2,304 Posts

If for some reason I was forced to sell the F-Type and downgrade to something a bit cheaper I would go for the latest model Miata (called an MX-5 here in Oz) and add a turbo kit to it, there are a number of after-market turbo kits available for not a huge amount of $.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

That is a well asked question. My XK8 was failing and not worth fixing and so I was in the market for a replacement. My first choice was an MB E Type Cab. The local dealer had about six on them and the one I liked had five thousand less miles and was priced $3500 more than comparable E's. I would not pay the premium and so went to my second choice the F-Type. Super deal. Cheap as could be. My third choice was an A5 convertible, but i never got there. I think the moral of the story is MB looks for premium pricing, whereas Jaguar will do what it has to do to move the inventory. I probably would have been happier with the Benz, but I would not have been happier with the deal. I'm not going to do a bad deal just to satisfy a marginal desire.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Traded a '12 SLK55, after 3 Audi TT cabs. We also had an A4 cab. If had to get a larger car I'd probably choose between a S5 cab or a C43 conv.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my Aston Martin V12 Vantage, then bought my V8 S F-Type (2013). At the time I was considering a V10 R8 and always had a soft spot for the SL Mercs, the AMG. But I've wanted an F Type since I drove one when they were first released in 2013, avoided until now as I didn't want to be hit with the depreciation. Really pleased with the car, no regrets. Thought I'd miss the Aston and in some ways I do, but only the presence it had on the road. Apart from that the F-Type feels as quick and drives as well. Better / more modern tech inside too. Roof off is a bonus In an ideal world I'd have them both.....and an SL and an R8

And with the money I released from the Aston it meant I could also buy one of these:
Vert owners who picked our car... what else did you look at or consider?-18118437_10209834895733971_2210292081485676129_n.jpg

Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark999
I sold my Aston Martin V12 Vantage, then bought my V8 S F-Type (2013). At the time I was considering a V10 R8 and always had a soft spot for the SL Mercs, the AMG. But I've wanted an F Type since I drove one when they were first released in 2013, avoided until now as I didn't want to be hit with the depreciation. Really pleased with the car, no regrets. Thought I'd miss the Aston and in some ways I do, but only the presence it had on the road. Apart from that the F-Type feels as quick and drives as well. Better / more modern tech inside too. Roof off is a bonus In an ideal world I'd have them both.....and an SL and an R8

And with the money I released from the Aston it meant I could also buy one of these:
Attachment 207043
The Atom or the van?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel

The way some people complain about the most minor of things, I would suggest a Yaris. Lol But I buy outright, hate debt, and drive the car to death. I actually enjoyed my check engine light coming on (under warranty)... It is like a curious new puzzle. Out of warranty I will become a bit more rigid, but hey... Pulley swaps and tune time, so I can't be that sad. Whooooooo.

And I have been busy, so no offense if someone *was* in here complaining... I've not had a chance to read any other part in this thread yet.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
There are great examples of these cars in their 1st year (2014) in base models for as little as $35K on the market so as long as he/she does not HAVE to buy new, they can buy a F-Type as economically as they can buy a miata
Holy moly.... there's 3 near me under $40K. Wild.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...d_opt=usedmake

ndabunka (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
I was heavily considering the [new gen] Corvette since I have always been a 'Vette guy, but then the [new gen] Porsche Boxster and Cayman S got my attention (among a couple other considerations) until I saw the F-Type. After driving the V8S convertible, I never looked back. Like you friend in the Cutlass, I feel I am driving a "future" classic muscle car (especially in BRG)!
I'm a tan top, and BRG. Just like my Jeep. =) I like the combo, and it is just so appropriate.

I know there is a way to figure it out, but not sure how.... how many BRG are out there? Is there a database to search?

Desert Dawg (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
Also... my uncle is a vette guy, used to race, build kit Cobras and stuff.

He had and sold one of the newer Vettes, and like some of our "R" guys, he just said it was a death trap, and there was way too much horsepower, even for someone who knows how to use it. He went sideways once, showing his grandson the car, and it scared the living hell out of him.

Desert Dawg (12-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Vert owners who picked our car... what else did you look at or consider?