XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Hey all!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hey all!

Hello all,

Just picked up this 2012 XJL Portfolio in AZ about 2 weeks ago! Still under CPO warranty until end of next year! Love the damn thing, even though it's not supercharged, it fun to drive and be in. Just got the oil changed, gonna have to buy a oil extractor and start doing them myself (charged me 170$ at an indy smh). I sold my S550 for this car and I am more than happy!

Anyways, just wanted to say hello to all the XJ owners! Not that many around here in Arizona.

Car is going to the dealer next week to get the popping roof sound check out and interior buttons changed (sticky). Hope the loaner is nice.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Congrats, nice ride.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice, welcome to the club. I didnt think the dealer would handle the buttons under the CPO, but if yours is doing it, i should contact mine.

Im curious about this roof popping noise. I hear my sunroof squeak a bit but im not quite sure what the roof popping sound is.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
... Im curious about this roof popping noise. I hear my sunroof squeak a bit but im not quite sure what the roof popping sound is.
See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...popping-88721/

Many threads on this topic.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
Very nice, welcome to the club. I didnt think the dealer would handle the buttons under the CPO, but if yours is doing it, i should contact mine.

Im curious about this roof popping noise. I hear my sunroof squeak a bit but im not quite sure what the roof popping sound is.
I didn't either but then I saw this https://www.cars.com/articles/2010-2...1420683067774/

Apparently there is a TSB and if you are under any Jag warranty and go in with this issue they'll do it!

So whenever you go over rough road or a speed bump, you can hear a popping sound coming from the pano roof. It's super annoying and I realllllly hope they can fix it. It's embarassing asf when you have family and friends in your expensive jag and it sounds like the roof is falling apart ha.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jigar Patel
I didn't either but then I saw this https://www.cars.com/articles/2010-2...1420683067774/
It's embarassing asf when you have family and friends in your expensive jag and it sounds like the roof is falling apart ha.
Oh i totally understand that. My drivers side window makes a terrible squeal, apparently the gasket is drying out, and i hate to use the window with people in the car. Thankfully that isnt a frequent occurrence this time of the year.

I dealt with a more embarrassing situation in my old CLS. The rear roof liner was sagging pretty badly. Tall people noticed it right away, cuz it touched their damn heads, and others just looked around and eventually saw it. Even though i didnt buy the car new its still embarrassing for others to see a $100k car having issues akin to a 90s Buick.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

My dealer sprays a very light coat of silicone on the flocked gasket to mitigate that squealing as a preventative measure, try it it may work for you.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
My dealer sprays a very light coat of silicone on the flocked gasket to mitigate that squealing as a preventative measure, try it it may work for you.
Spray in the vertical window channel right? I did try that, even some on the short one by the mirror too, and ran the window up and down a few times. Maybe i just didnt use enough?

A friend suggested WD-40, but i figure if that worked too, it would have been in the thread as well. Idk if that could damage the gasket.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure of the exact stuff Kieth at the dealer used and didn't have any noise before but saw on the window some residue of the spray. I have my XJ in there at least once every six months for service so they take really good care of the XJ. I would be suspect of WD40 as there are solvents in it.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Default Window Channel and Sunroof Track Lubricants

For the squeaky windows, I'd use a dry silicone spray that does not leave any oily residue that can stain the window channel and collect dust, such as this 3M product:
https://www.amazon.com/08897-Silicone-Lubricant-Dry-Type/dp/B000PJED72/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513393734&sr=1-2&keywords=dry+silicone+spray https://www.amazon.com/08897-Silicone-Lubricant-Dry-Type/dp/B000PJED72/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513393734&sr=1-2&keywords=dry+silicone+spray

For the noisy roof, I recommend this ACDelco Super Lube. I use it occasionally on my XJ and it works to eliminate any rattles. Open the sunroof and spray it liberally along the tracks and then close and open the sunroof to spread it around before it dries. I do this once or twice a year, usually when it gets cold when the tolerances increase and cause the roof to get a bit noisy.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-ACDelco-Fluid-12346241-Super/dp/B000QGYJ82/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513392784&sr=1-3&keywords=gm+super+lube https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-ACDelco-Fluid-12346241-Super/dp/B000QGYJ82/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513392784&sr=1-3&keywords=gm+super+lube

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-15-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added Super Lube
Old 12-16-2017, 05:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those wheels look bloody awful. What's going on with the offset of the rears? It looks like they are too close to the centre-line of the car.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Forget Amazon, you can get the same can for half that much.

https://paceperformance.com/i-625038...or-hinges.html

Old 12-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rhomanski
Forget Amazon, you can get the same can for half that much.

https://paceperformance.com/i-625038...or-hinges.html
Not half when you add the shipping cost, but still cheaper than Amazon. I was recommending the products, not the vendors. You may be able to find it locally and save the shipping cost.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Ill give them a shot over holiday vacation. Maybe i just didnt spray the silicone liberally enough.

Sorry to derail your thread here Jigar!

Old 12-18-2017, 03:25 PM

update--

Went to the dealership this AM. Showed them the horrible roof noise and they said "they can look into it but you'd have to pay 165$ an hour for them to diagnose the rattle".

I even went on a ride with him and he heard how bad it is. But since the sunroof still works, there isn't a mechanical issue which is the only thing the warranty covers.

As far as the buttons, since I am on CPO warranty, they are looking into it. I think they only covered it under new car warranty.

Pretty pissed about this, I will try to lube the roof etc but if the noise stays ill probably get rid of this thing. Noise is driving me crazy.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

CPO should cover both the roof and the buttons. Tell the dealer SA you are going call Jaguar NA to check on the coverage unless he says he will cover both of your complaints. You are not the first CPO buyer that has complained of an improper CPO certification and dealer blow off. In order to sell a used Jaguar with a CPO certification there is very extensive check list and the selling dealer has to sign off that the vehicle is in nearly as new condition inside and out and has to pay internally for any repairs to bring it up to that condition.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
CPO should cover both the roof and the buttons. Tell the dealer SA you are going call Jaguar NA to check on the coverage unless he says he will cover both of your complaints. You are not the first CPO buyer that has complained of an improper CPO certification and dealer blow off. In order to sell a used Jaguar with a CPO certification there is very extensive check list and the selling dealer has to sign off that the vehicle is in nearly as new condition inside and out and has to pay internally for any repairs to bring it up to that condition.
Well - that depends. Did the OP buy it and pay for a new CPO warranty? Or was it a car that already had a CPO warranty active on it when he bought it? The CPO warranty is transferable at sale but they don't recertify it as Cpo each time it is sold. It's not really a cpo car - just a pre-owned car that happens to have the extended warranty.
Button surfaces are likely seen as a cosmetic item. I'm surprised they don't cover the roof though

Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Well - that depends. Did the OP buy it and pay for a new CPO warranty? Or was it a car that already had a CPO warranty active on it when he bought it? The CPO warranty is transferable at sale but they don't recertify it as Cpo each time it is sold. It's not really a cpo car - just a pre-owned car that happens to have the extended warranty.
Button surfaces are likely seen as a cosmetic item. I'm surprised they don't cover the roof though
Yes so I bought the car private party. It was certified back in like Dec 2015 and the warranty lasts till 9/2018. That exactly that the SA and Jaguar Customer service rep said, CPO doesn't cover cosmetics (wear and tear items) but they will talk to the dealer and offer some sort of assistance with the repair.

My problem is why they would cover that under new car warranty but not under CPO. They cover cosmetics under new car warranty but not CPO? My SA was like oh you spilled something on these buttons when he felt they were sticky. Then we saw that all the buttons were sticky. I hate the ***********.

They would cover whatever is making the noise in the roof but they want to charge me diag fee's for however long it takes them to find the solution. Makes ZERO sense. Ugh.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar CPO Warranty is similar to, but is not an extension of, the original Jaguar new car warranty. Certain items that are covered under the new car warranty are not covered under the CPO warranty. You need to get a copy of your CPO warranty and read the exclusions. Both new car and CPO are covered by Jaguar.

An "extended warranty" usually is a maintenance contract sold and administered by a third party unrelated to Jaguar. It's really an insurance policy, with deductibles, limitations, and exclusions. Lots of threads on this Forum about their pitfalls.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The Jaguar CPO Warranty is similar to, but is not an extension of, the original Jaguar new car warranty. Certain items that are covered under the new car warranty are not covered under the CPO warranty. You need to get a copy of your CPO warranty and read the exclusions. Both new car and CPO are covered by Jaguar.

An "extended warranty" usually is a maintenance contract sold and administered by a third party unrelated to Jaguar. It's really an insurance policy, with deductibles, limitations, and exclusions. Lots of threads on this Forum about their pitfalls.
Searched a little online and here's what I found:

COVERAGE
The Jaguar Select Certifi ed Pre-Owned Limited Warranty covers any factory-supplied component of
the Jaguar vehicle that is defective, with the exception of the following items:

Mechanical – battery and cables, belts and hoses, brakes (pads, shoes, rotors, drums), exhaust system
and catalytic converter, bulbs and lenses, manual clutch assembly (pressure plate, friction disc, release
bearing), front and rear shock absorbers, struts, Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), coil springs, spark
plugs and wires, wiper blades, tires, wheel studs, antenna motor and mast, wheel and tire balancing
and rotation, serviceable bushings, wheel alignment, engine adjustments, headlamp aiming, suspension
adjustment, squeaks and rattles, non-Jaguar supplied equipment or accessories, including but not
limited to audio equipment.

Interior – carpet, leather, upholstery, soft trim, wood trim, trim adjustments, fabric and headliner,
rearview mirror, dash pad, knobs, buttons, interior fi ttings and storage compartments, squeaks and rattles.
Exterior – frame, frame adjustments, frame brackets and supports, glass and plastic body parts,
glass and body adjustments, chrome, bright metal trim, sheet metal, bumpers and absorption struts,
convertible top, paint, corrosion, moldings, side-view mirrors, wheels and tires, hubcaps, body seals
and gaskets (e.g., weather-stripping), ornaments/badges, grilles, water leaks, wind noise, squeaks
and rattles.

Well ****...... haha

Quick Reply: Hey all!