Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking advise on used F-type purchase: V8s or V6s

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advise on used F-type purchase: V8s or V6s

Hello everyone.
I've owned some toy cars (C5, C6, C6 Z06, 350Z, Stang, etc..) and was planning to pick up some "European sports car" this time.
Although my wife had XF and loved it, I didn't really think about F-type, when I started thinking about another toy car.

Couple of days ago, I just looked up F-type on Ebay. Used car price on F-type seems like great value right now, so F-type is now on the top of my list. (still considering Maserati GT-S, Aston Vantage V8, Audi R8 V10) Beautiful body line, nice interior, amazing exhaust note.... more I look at it, more I like it.

I always look for great value, and I have a "Value" question to F-type owners or someone who knows both model pretty well.
Mileage/age/options being same or similar on V6S and V8S, used car price gap seems to be roughly about 8-10k difference.
Which is better choice? Does any V6S owner regret his/her choice? Should I just pay 10k more and get bigger engine? (I do like the sound of V8 more, but V6s sounds pretty dang good, I think)

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
FYI, this car will NOT be tracked. (I track other car, and I want to go with convertible so I can really hear this Jag roar)

Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a very new (used) F-Type owner so I will defer to more senior members regarding the differences between the V6 and V8 models. I faced the exact same decision as I was shopping the used market and noted the price difference you highlight.

There are some really great comparisons of the different engines/models on YouTube that highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each entry. There was no doubt that the V8 packs a lot of punch, but I found no instances of anyone complaining about a lack of power in the V6 S.

I purchased the V6 S model based on those reviews and what I was looking for in this vehicle. No regrets so far!

Good luck in the hunt.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Everyone will chime in about how whichever one they bought is the best! LOL

......that said, you can anticipate my answer! ;-)

Dave

Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jv9344
I am a very new (used) F-Type owner so I will defer to more senior members regarding the differences between the V6 and V8 models. I faced the exact same decision as I was shopping the used market and noted the price difference you highlight.

There are some really great comparisons of the different engines/models on YouTube that highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each entry. There was no doubt that the V8 packs a lot of punch, but I found no instances of anyone complaining about a lack of power in the V6 S.

I purchased the V6 S model based on those reviews and what I was looking for in this vehicle. No regrets so far!

Good luck in the hunt.
Thank you for the reply. I've been watching so many YouTube videos. Although they were very informative, it made my decision making harder...
Glad to hear you are happy with your V6S choice. Me with frugal nature, I was kind of leaning toward V6S but also didn't want to 'cheap out' and regret later.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Everyone will chime in about how whichever one they bought is the best! LOL

......that said, you can anticipate my answer! ;-)

Dave
Lol that's what I thought may happen, when I posted this too. Maybe I should've just asked, 'which one do you own, V6S or V8S?'

Last edited by jaymsu; 01-17-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Haha; a little tongue-in-cheek but a little true too.

In any case, everyone is different; I bought my F type as a fun, fair weather roadster and as such I wanted all the power of the V8, not caring about practicality or mileage; YMMV.....and probably will!

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
mlebofsky (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Unless you are 19 years old, I don't see how you could be disappointed in any way with the performance or sound of the V6S. It is ferociously fast, sounds fantastic, it is beautifully finished if you have the full leather interior, and has drop-dead gorgeous looks. There is nowhere that you can legally use the full performance of the V6S, let alone the V8. Further, all comparative reports indicate that the V6S is a better balanced car. The V8 will give enhanced bragging rights but in the real world...

Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I submitted a similar post as a possible "buyers remorse" thread discussing the v6s vs the v8s. I did buy the v6s and drove both of them before buying. The v8s I drove had the stock pirellis on it and it was very easy to get the back end squirrely. Even when not trying it got a little squirrely.. That being said, the power was insane and awesome at the same time. But I really wanted to be at a certain price point for my Ftype and that led me to the v6s. At the time if I found a similar v8s for within 1-2k in price I would have gone with the v8s. There was a v8s at the dealer I was looking at that was about 5k more with about 10k more miles...so it wasn't too extreme of a difference, but enough. I also made the mistake of taking my wife with me for the test drive and she basically said "you will kill yourself in the v8s".

All that being said, I have not yearned for more power with the v6s or felt like I could really even enjoy all the power I have in the v6s 90% of the time I am driving. There are also ways to get more power and torque out of the v6s (ECU Tune and Pulley) which could take your v6S from 380 to 440hp + which I hear is a significant difference. Being that the v6s is slightly lighter than the v8s, the 440hp must feel and handle very well. One could argue you can also tune and pulley the v8s and get to 600hp and increase that gap in HP between the v6s and v8s all over again. I wish I would have been able to drive a v8s with Mich Pilot Super Sport tires to see if that calmed down the rear end a little bit.

I have considered trading up for the v8s or R, but I think about the extra money and even more power that I cannot take advantage of 90% of the time.

As a v6s owner, I love what I have and my ego says "you should have gotten the v8", but the practical side of me for my situation says "the v6 was the right purchase". It may be different for others and I am not trying to spark a v6s vs v8s debate.

Good Luck and it really is a great car to drive

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
Unless you are 19 years old, I don't see how you could be disappointed in any way with the performance or sound of the V6S. It is ferociously fast, sounds fantastic, it is beautifully finished if you have the full leather interior, and has drop-dead gorgeous looks. There is nowhere that you can legally use the full performance of the V6S, let alone the V8. Further, all comparative reports indicate that the V6S is a better balanced car. The V8 will give enhanced bragging rights but in the real world...
So much for playing nice!

BS; in the real world the V8 is much faster.......check out every 0-60, 1/4 mile and road test ever written. Better balanced = still slower. Buy what you like but don't do it because someone says you're a 19 year old if you want the V8

Every performance car made can't be FULLY used on public roads without breaking the law.....maybe we should all drive Civics or Prii

Dave

Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I personally wasn’t satisfied with the performance of the V6S. So if you want to play it safe, the V8 might be a better choice for you. However, since I was not willing to forgo the manual transmission, the V6S with the pulley and tune (~$2k) is more than satisfactory to keep me from pining for the V8. Besides, I personally think the sound of the V6 is far more refined than the V8. At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy is far more important than what any of us think.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Dave Whitefield (08-05-2021), DPelletier (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I actually prefer the V6S to drive but I would have bought the R if it had been the same price for the same year model. My only regret is that I didnt buy a manual, as it feels to me that the car really lends itself more to a manual - the control of power through the clutch and the hand on the stick rather than paddles.

Because of the gearing, the S actually feels pretty restrained to drive until you put your foot down. I've only driven the R on the track so I'm not sure whether that is the same.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

It appears you may have had some other high powered cars. My choice to buy an R may have been influenced by my previous car, the 2011 XF SC (470 hp -v8). When I test drove the 6 it felt underpowered and I immediately missed the sound and surge of a v8. The fact I bought the XF SC intially more likely indicates I like lots of raw power. If you test drive them both back to, the decision should reveal itself.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

V8 is faster, no questions about it. However, you will have more problem putting that power down if it is RWD and still has stock garbage P-zero tires.

For V8 to shine, you need AWD and Michelin Pilot 4S tires.

The only reason to take V6 over V8 is if you must have MT or can't afford V8.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
So much for playing nice!

Dave
Dave: I was not trying to be rude - nor was I suggesting that the OP was acting like a 19 year old with regard to automobiles (but I see now how that meaning could be taken). But having had the RCMP pull me over on the Coquihalla highway when driving my XK (which has less HP than my F-Type; I blame that incident on my wife who said 2 minutes earlier: "In this car you could be going a lot faster!"), I cannot imagine needing a 550 HP engine in the F-Type (which becomes slightly dangerous in the wrong hands). Wanting? yes, I can understand that, but in the real world the 380 hp version provides tons of excitement.
I do agree that we tend to justify the version we have.

Attached Thumbnails Seeking advise on used F-type purchase: V8s or V6s-f-type-001-small-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

You can minimise your V6 buyers remorse if needed by adding the tune and lower pulley at a lower cost than trading in for the V8...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Pretty much the V6S from the get go for me. I saw the Doug Demuro demonstration of the V6 340hp and it sounded pretty good. I also saw a small time V6S owner on YT. After my purchase, I realized there is still an “Oh Shi+ factor” when accelerating from 60 to 90. I did drive a V8S. It was really awesome too.

Other factors after the fact:

I bought in June last year and the price differential was just about $10K which was the price of garage doors, a furnace, a sump pump, and (used) surround sound processor. Fencing and painting will come in around $11k this year.

So in retrospect, I also needed to budget so for that reason I’m glad I didn’t get the 8.

I do think OP should get the V8S because he is mentioning buyers remorse before he’s even made the purchase.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ask myself why jaguar don’t make a two wheel drive v8 any more i have had both cars and the v8 was very easy to lose the back end
However if you are going to drive on the track that may be different

Old 01-18-2018, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

V8. RWD. Drama. Fun. Excitement.

2015Rs do have the best chance for holding value; many nice low mileage examples in the 60-64k range.

Pirellis suck, yes they do; however under the right circumstances they can also put a huge grin on your face.

There are huge opportunities across the board in the used market for a variety of F-Types.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
You can minimise your V6 buyers remorse if needed by adding the tune and lower pulley at a lower cost than trading in for the V8...
totally agree, just have to wait for extended warranty to expire or at least be closer to expiring

Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

V8 hands down. The differentiator between the F-type and all those other cars is the sound. Why go half *** with the V6? The F-type is not nearly as fun to drive as a 911 or 911tt, or other supercars, so you won't achieve tier 1 handling and performance with either the V6 (dull) and v8 (squirrely). Overall aesthetics are the same. Audio, gizmos, etc same. Wheels same.

For you (and me and others) this thing is a toy... go ***** out Vegas style coke and strippers baby.

V8.

(no offense to my V6 brothers!)

Last edited by bchains; 01-18-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: Seeking advise on used F-type purchase: V8s or V6s