XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Unidentified objects

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Unidentified objects

Hi folks. Can anyone identify this , what looks like either a tool or something for the spare tire mounting.
I just purchased the car and just exploring the areas and found this in the trunk...or boot for those across the pond. I am thinking it secures the spare wheel to the back wall but can't see why it would be bent like that.

Also, a strange item mounted to the floor of the trunk; an electronic safe looking thing. It says Mossberg Safe Sytems

Thanks!

Last edited by carsnplanes; 01-19-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM

UPDATE: Have since realized that it is a gun safe. Did research on Mossberg and seems today they make firearms and used to make and support gun safes but not anymore. I read they are not in the safe business anymore so I am wondering if anybody has one like this and what the default code might be , lets say if the 9V battery ever died and you had to open it . Thanks

Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi That 'metal spike' should have a hook on the end to secure the Spare Wheel to the rear firewall

Which is then tightened up with that Nut on the end

Looks like someone overtightened it an broke the hook off

If you Google the name of that firm, they come up as safe manufacturers

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-20-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi That 'metal spike' should have a hook on the end to secure the Spare Wheel to the rear firewall, which is then tightened up with that Nut on the end

Looks like someone overtightened it an broke the hook off

The Black Box is an Electronic Safe (I wonder what's inside!)
Is the "spike" supposed to be bent like that? I imagine it should be straight. Is there a large plate or washer to capture the wheel inner hole? Anybody have a picture of what its supposed to look like on their car?
Yes, since I've found that it is a gun safe, I am not too keen on finding a gun inside. Anybody know what to do if I find one. Who should I call or tell. I don't want any authorities to think it was mine, especially if it was used in a crime.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hi

Yes that Spike is supposed to be bent like that and it hooks into a slot in the rear firewall

And you should be able to see where it hooks on, if only it had a hook

Best get a replacement from a 'Scrapyard'

No Photo of that at the moment

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-20-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Hi

Yes that Spike is supposed to be bent like that and it hooks into a slot in the rear firewall and you should be able to see where it hooks on, if only it had a hook

Best get a replacement from a 'Scrapyard'

No Photo of that at the moment
You mean like this? This from Ebay says from 76 to 93. Would this fit on my 95 Convert?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XJS-Spare-Wheel-Hold-Down-Hook-Bolt-Clamp-OEM-1976-1993-GENUINE-CCC5673/162837658285?epid=11010985662&hash=item25e9e17aad: g:UdEAAOSwBkRaKFUk&vxp=mtr

Old 01-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
Yes, since I've found that it is a gun safe, I am not too keen on finding a gun inside. Anybody know what to do if I find one. Who should I call or tell. I don't want any authorities to think it was mine, especially if it was used in a crime.

I'd return the safe (and whatever it might contain) to the previous owner, if possible.

Otherwise, if you get the safe open and find a gun, just give it to the police.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
I'd return the safe (and whatever it might contain) to the previous owner, if possible.

Otherwise, if you get the safe open and find a gun, just give it to the police.

Cheers
DD
Car was bought from a broker who had several ownerships before them. Might be hard to tack the actual previous owner. Well, probably not that hard from the VIN #. Even police could track them down even better.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

That's the same as the one on my 1990 Pre-Facelift V12 but don't know if its suitable for your Facelift

Although it does look very similar to your broken one

Edit: Wow I've just seen the price!

If I were you I would go down to your local Hardware Store and get a 'Hook Bolt' and make one out of that

Then when you've poked it through the Wheel

Just put on a Big Washer with a Nut on the end

Or even better find out what thread is on your broken one and then you can make one out of a piece of Studding

Then use the Special Nut that's on the end of the Broken one

Or Heat up the end of the Broken one and then flatten the end with a FBH and then reheat it and Curl it round into a Hook

As it looks as if the Broken one is long enough to do that

Or get a Shop to Weld you a Hook on the end

Unless you want to keep Her Original, that's a hell of a lot of Money just to hold a Spare Wheel in place

But it's your call

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-20-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 PM

That's the same as the one on my 1990 Pre-Facelift V12 but don't know if its suitable for your Facelift

Although it does look very similar to your broken one
yes it does except for the shape of the extender. Round(cylindrical) vs hex with flats for a wrench presumably

Old 01-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Yup

I'm pretty sure that the Nut on your Broken one is the same size as the Wheel Nuts

And would use the same size Wheel Wrench

Looks like they over tightened it and that's why the Hook is Broken (it doesn't really need to be that tight)

Just snugged up by hand and one turn of a Wrench

Very easy to make something like that

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-20-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 PM

Hi Yup

I'm pretty sure that the Nut on your Broken one is the same size as the Wheel Nuts and would use the same size Wheel Wrench

Looks like they over tightened it and that's why the Hook is Broken (it doesn't really need to be that tight) just snugged up by hand and one turn of a Wrench

Very easy to make something like that
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Ebay one. I feel the price is a little high for something like this and tried to offer lower but only after lower offers, I only saved $9. In the end it's still over $50 bucks for this thing. Are these hard to find? Should I wait? I's the only one I can see at the moment.
I don't see how tightening up on that sleeve does anything to the wheel security and why you would tightened it enough to break. Don't you use the black hand wheel that fits in the other end of that sleeve to secure the wheel snug against the back wall? Not the sleeve. I think you set the distance with the sleeve, lock it in place and then use the hand wheel to cinch down the wheel snug.

Last edited by carsnplanes; 01-19-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

You might want to contact David Bodger at everydayxj.com. Great guy to deal with and has all sorts of stuff. Most isn't on his website, so drop him a note explaining what you need.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts
Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 PM

So it looks like this is how this style hold down is supposed to work. This one goes through one of the lug nut holes instead of through the wheel center hole. This pic is from a 1990 from an Ebay ad. Wonder why I would have a hold-down type that was meant for an earlier car and why the hold-down being sold on Ebay shows it with a black large handle seemingly meant for the center and states it's for years 76 -93.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hi

Just to confuse the issue even more some Facelift 4.0L Cars including my own 1995 4.0L Car, had a 'Space Saver Wheel'

Which has a much smaller Track than a Normal Full Size Wheel (It is a lot thinner than a Normal Full Size Wheel)

Can't get you a Photo or remember what the Wheel Hook 'Thingy' looks like

As She's all wrapped up for the Winter (ditto with my other Cars)

My 1989 Pre-Facelift has a 'Hook Holder Thingy' the same as your Broken one

My 1990 Pre-Facelift has a 'Hook Holder Thingy' with the Black Plastic Knob like in your other Photo

In all probability they probably put the Plastic Knob on the later Cars because people were over tightening them and breaking them

No need to put them on 'Stupid Tight' they only need to be 'Hand Tight'

So first determine whether or not your Car has a 'Thinner' Space Saver Wheel

Old 01-20-2018, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

For a 1995 XJS, it almost certainly is a space-saver spare. That bent thing with the hex nut is identical to mine (1992), and yes, it goes through one of the lug nut holes. Mine's still attached to the rear bulkhead, luckily. But the nut just spins on, and it only needs to be tight enough to prevent the wheel rattling around.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 AM

Hi

Just to confuse the issue even more some Facelift 4.0L Cars including my own 1995 4.0L Car, had a 'Space Saver Wheel'

Which has a much smaller Track than a Normal Full Size Wheel (It is a lot thinner than a Normal Full Size Wheel)

Can't get you a Photo or remember what the Wheel Hook 'Thingy' looks like

As She's all wrapped up for the Winter (ditto with my other Cars)

My 1989 Pre-Facelift has a 'Hook Holder Thingy' the same as your Broken one

My 1990 Pre-Facelift has a 'Hook Holder Thingy' with the Black Plastic Knob like in your other Photo

In all probability they probably put the Plastic Knob on the later Cars because people were over tightening them and breaking them

No need to put them on 'Stupid Tight' they only need to be 'Hand Tight'

So first determine whether or not your Car has a 'Thinner' Space Saver Wheel
I have no idea what it came with originally because what's in there now is a full size wheel. I wonder if the hold downs differ on those with full size or space saver wheels.
Does anybody know if you can back out of an Ebay offer even though you've electronically "agreed" to a price? It is waiting to take my CC but I do not want it now and will no payment automatically expire by itself? (I'm hoping it will as I don't want to be on the hook for it )

Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Does anybody know if you can back out of an Ebay offer even though you've electronically "agreed" to a price? It is waiting to take my CC but I do not want it now and will no payment automatically expire by itself? (I'm hoping it will as I don't want to be on the hook for it )
I have backed out of ebay deals before, best thing to do is send the seller a message saying "Sorry, it is not the part I thought it was" . Both times they have cancelled the deal from their end. Even though it was the part I wanted but found one for 1/2 or less listed elsewhere.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Did you look at the link to Jaguar Parts I posted ???
Your pic shows the correct part for the normal spare but the end is broken off. You need the part CCC 5673 with your part (nut) CBC 5627 for the full size spare. Its available from Jag new for around $35.00

Keep the link to Jaguar classic parts handy. It will help you out nearly everyday .....

Last edited by malc4d; 01-20-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Unidentified objects