F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who pays a diagnostic fee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who pays a diagnostic fee?

According to Jaguar whenever you take your car into a dealership you are required to pay a diagnostic fee, even for warranty work. I have had many new cars and have never been told I need to pay a fee for warranty work but according to Jaguar they require it.

So I am wondering if this is normal?

I have read the warranty manual and diagnostics are not excluded from the warranty.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by mc5mojo
According to Jaguar whenever you take your car into a dealership you are required to pay a diagnostic fee, even for warranty work. I have had many new cars and have never been told I need to pay a fee for warranty work but according to Jaguar they require it.

So I am wondering if this is normal?

I have read the warranty manual and diagnostics are not excluded from the warranty.
No, never paid a diagnostic fee for anything under warranty on the F-Type. A diagnosis fee will be charged on non-warranty issues for the R&R to get to the offending issue.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

I've never had a dealer try to charge a diagnostic fee for warranty work on one of my Jags - or any other brand, for that matter. Out of warranty, it's fair game, but not automatic, depending on the nature of the problem/work.

Ask the SA to put it in writing and/or talk to the service manager.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Two different dealers and no fee. On my extended I pay if no problem found!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:27 PM

Just to clarify this is not the dealer telling me I need to pay a fee, it's Jaguar. A rep from the customer relationship centre told me and when i said no I went to the executive office and they also told me you are required to pay a diagnostic fee. I asked them to show me where in the warranty it says that but they just ignore the question and keep repeating you need to pay a fee.

They told me it's like when you go to the doctor and you have to pay a fee. I explained the difference is I don't come with a warranty. But that doesn't matter.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

This is very strange.

Can you give some details as to what type of repair situation is going on here?

Cheers
DD

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Just to clarify this is not the dealer telling me I need to pay a fee, it's Jaguar. A rep from the customer relationship centre told me and when i said no I went to the executive office and they also told me you are required to pay a diagnostic fee. I asked them to show me where in the warranty it says that but they just ignore the question and keep repeating you need to pay a fee.

They told me it's like when you go to the doctor and you have to pay a fee. I explained the difference is I don't come with a warranty. But that doesn't matter.
What do you mean "when you talked to Jaguar?" Why are you calling Jaguar directly instead of going through the dealership? More importantly, what did your local dealership say and what, exactly is the issue you are concerned about? Things as basic as squeaks and audio issues have all been addressed by local dealers throughout the country.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 PM

I have excessive tyre wear so they want to check the alignment and suspension. I am talking directly to Jaguar because the dealership does not know the cause so asked me to call Jaguar.

They initially told me the alignment was not covered under warranty. I have had to send them several pages of their warranty book as they do not know their warranty very well.

Here part of the email from the Customer Relationship Centre
As per our previous conversation, we would need you to bring your vehicle to one of our authorized JLR dealers. That being said, you would be responsible for paying the diagnostic fee, being that this is something that the dealership requires in order to successfully diagnose the vehicle.

And from the executive office
For all other non-minor repairs, there is a charge for repairs and a diagnostic fee. Please do let me know if you have any further questions and I wish you a good weekend.

This whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth with regards to Jaguar.

I have spoken to the dealer and they are not going to charge me. I am just wondering if anyone else has heard anything else so absurd. During my conversation with Jaguar I asked them if I brought my brand new Jaguar into a dealership because the engine was making a loud knocking sound would I need to pay a fee. And Jaguar said yes you would need to pay for them to diagnose the issue and then they would cover the repair. They do not cover diagnostics.

Last edited by mc5mojo; 01-20-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

The tire thing. I remember now. Car only has 500 miles or something?

When a warranty coverage dispute arises it is common for the manufacturer to insist that the customer pay diagnostic charges pending final decision of the case. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, necessarily, but it's common. The theory is that covering the diagnosis under warranty weakens their position.

The dealer could choose to waive the charges if it wanted to as corporate Jaguar cannot order them to charge a customer for anything. But corporate Jaguar might be a bit chaffed if they took that route.

I can't remember every detail of your situation but I do recall thinking that Jaguar was being needlessly hard-nosed about things....considering the ultra-low miles on the car.

Good luck

Cheers
DD

Old 01-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I have excessive tyre wear so they want to check the alignment and suspension. I am talking directly to Jaguar because the dealership does not know the cause so asked me to call Jaguar.

They initially told me the alignment was not covered under warranty. I have had to send them several pages of their warranty book
as they do not know their warranty very well.

Here part of the email from the Customer Relationship Centre
As per our previous conversation, we would need you to bring your vehicle to one of our authorized JLR dealers. That being said, you would be responsible for paying the diagnostic fee, being that this is something that the dealership requires in order to successfully diagnose the vehicle.

And from the executive office
For all other non-minor repairs, there is a charge for repairs and a diagnostic fee. Please do let me know if you have any further questions and I wish you a good weekend.

This whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth with regards to Jaguar.

I have spoken to the dealer and they are not going to charge me. I am just wondering if anyone else has heard anything else so absurd. During my conversation with Jaguar I asked them if I brought my brand new Jaguar into a dealership because the engine was making a loud knocking sound would I need to pay a fee. And Jaguar said yes you would need to pay for them to diagnose the issue and then they would cover the repair. They do not cover diagnostics.
ok...You may have found one of the few exceptions. The alignment might be needed to assess the reason for the excessive tire wear, but that’s the only possible reason for the excessive tire wear. Alignment is an ordinary wear and tear item. Misalignment could be attributed to you hitting that curb as you first left the dealership ( as they might claim) . You are unlikely to prevail on this.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-20-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Never paid diagnostic fee for any warranty work, with Jaguar or other brands. Paid for alignment in all cases.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Alignment isn't covered under warranty. I realized my right rear was destroyed (down to the steel belt) as compared to the rest of the tires which were relatively OK earlier last year. I took the opportunity to change over to MPS4's and took the car in for a full alignment - which I had to pay for.

Alignment can be knocked out of spec at anytime - hitting a pothole etc.

I know this has been going on for a while for you, and that you aren't happy however I honestly think you are best just paying for the alignment, if it is out of spec getting it put right, have new tires put on and start enjoying the car.

If it is out of alignment put it down to bad luck with a pothole / factory error on spec etc and move on. If alignment is OK then you know its something else going on and JLR have to start looking at other things.

Last edited by ek993; 01-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I thought this issue had already been beaten to death:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...cam-me-191998/

Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
Alignment isn't covered under warranty. I realized my right rear was destroyed (down to the steel belt) as compared to the rest of the tires which were relatively OK earlier last year. I took the opportunity to change over to MPS4's and took the car in for a full alignment - which I had to pay for.

I know this has been going on for a while for you, and that you aren't happy however I honestly think you are best just paying for the alignment, if it is out of spec getting it put right, have new tires put on and start enjoying the car.

At the end of the day I'd say that's good advice

IMO, however, at a mere *1200* miles JLR could just as easily cover the alignment under warranty.....call it 'goodwill'.... and let the customer start enjoying the car

In my dealership days the 'factory guys' would be furious with me if I created a warranty dispute out of a wheel alignment and a couple tires on a car with 1200 miles.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
At the end of the day I'd say that's good advice

IMO, however, at a mere *1200* miles JLR could just as easily cover the alignment under warranty.....call it 'goodwill'.... and let the customer start enjoying the car

In my dealership days the 'factory guys' would be furious with me if I created a warranty dispute out of a wheel alignment and a couple tires on a car with 1200 miles.

Cheers
DD
Definitely agree with you it would be nice if they did. Seems each side is getting further entrenched into their positions however so for the OP it may be the best option to start enjoying his car rather than have it off the road with a dispute going on for months.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ek993

If it is out of alignment put it down to bad luck with a pothole / factory error on spec etc and move on. If alignment is OK then you know its something else going on and JLR have to start looking at other things.

Alignment is covered under warranty. Read the warranty book, even your wiper blades are covered.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM

I don't want this post to be about an alignment or my tyres as there is already a post about that. I was really more curious if it is the norm to pay a diagnostic fee when you take your car for warranty. Jaguar feels you should pay a diagnostic fee and i do not agree.

By the way the car is not off the road (well it is today as we had a foot of snow) I have not stopped driving it or enjoying it.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM

I have not had to pay a diagnostic fee when taking the car into 2 different JLR dealers for warranty work

Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I don't want this post to be about an alignment or my tyres as there is already a post about that. I was really more curious if it is the norm to pay a diagnostic fee when you take your car for warranty. Jaguar feels you should pay a diagnostic fee and i do not agree.
"The norm" isn't really applicable here. You have an unusual situation....worsened (IMO) early-on by the dealer itself and which has snow-balled beyond what it should've been.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-21-2018, 01:11 PM

Alignment is covered under warranty. Read the warranty book, even your wiper blades are covered.
Didn’t know that, guess I shouldn’t have paid for my alignment in that case. I had assumed it was considered normal wear and tear.

Last edited by ek993; 01-21-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Who pays a diagnostic fee?