F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried to retrofit the 2018 headlights or taillights yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Anyone tried to retrofit the 2018 headlights or taillights yet?

Anyone tried to retrofit the 2018 LED headlights or taillights yet?

Old 02-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

What’s different about them?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

Headlights are completely different... new J-Bar LED and the headlights are LED instead of projectors now.

Rear lights are tinted, and LED as well.

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
Headlights are completely different... new J-Bar LED and the headlights are LED instead of projectors now.

Rear lights are tinted, and LED as well.
Tail lights have been done, should be a direct swap. There is a thread on headlights, but I believe it was too difficult for anyone to attempt.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Tail lights have been done, should be a direct swap. There is a thread on headlights, but I believe it was too difficult for anyone to attempt.
Was it on this forum? Cant seem to find a link for either on here.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:36 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Just found some pictures, not enough improvement to make the effort worthwhile IMHO

Old 02-10-2018, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The new headlamps don't aesthetically match the car. They look too utilitarian.

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Burt Gummer (02-11-2018), F-Type-Type (04-03-2021), JacksonvilleJag (05-25-2020), Shaaguar (10-27-2019)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Drove my F-Pace loaner in the dark last night and the new headlights really light up the road, but I suspect that it's largely due to them being twice as high as on the F-Type.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Saw the new F Type at the LA autoshow, and the new lights were a nonstarter for me. Sort of look cheap, and they seem to further diminish the stylishness/aggressiveness of the front end. Just my 2 cents.

jcb-memphis (02-03-2022)
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I have noticed that some LED headlight assemblies and housings are really butt ugly. Porsche for instance. At least the ones I looked at last summer.

Then others, like the Ford GT fit the super high-tech look.

Of course, LEDs are better for function but if is detracts from the cars looks, forget it.

Does anyone have a up-close pic of both? Pre-LED housing vs now on an F-Type.

As for the tail lights it seems just a light bulb swap to LED would do the trick.

OT - I hate the way the surround LEDs go dark in the housing when using the turn signal. The turn signal is plenty bright w/o that happening and I've had people at intersections shout 'your headlight is burned out.'

Old 02-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I have noticed that some LED headlight assemblies and housings are really butt ugly. Porsche for instance. At least the ones I looked at last summer.

Then others, like the Ford GT fit the super high-tech look.

Of course, LEDs are better for function but if is detracts from the cars looks, forget it.

Does anyone have a up-close pic of both? Pre-LED housing vs now on an F-Type.

As for the tail lights it seems just a light bulb swap to LED would do the trick.

OT - I hate the way the surround LEDs go dark in the housing when using the turn signal. The turn signal is plenty bright w/o that happening and I've had people at intersections shout 'your headlight is burned out.'
Pretty sure that is a legal / road rules requirement, well at least in most RHD markets such as the UK and Oz it is, dunno about North America. On mine at least the DRL doesn't go full dark, it just dims to about 1/3 normal brightness. The theory is that some dopey inattentive driver (ie most of them!) may not notice the turn signal if the DRL on that side is at normal strength, so the Nanny State dictates that it must dim when the turn signal is on.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I have been considering this swap for awhile now.

@Burt Gummer - You are correct you can just swap the tail lights with a LED bulb, tint the housing and you essentially have the new tail lights. You will have to add an additional resistor on each bulb, so that the car doesn't think your lights are blown.

The front LED headlamp is definitely a nice upgrade, especially if you care about having the ultimate headlamp output like I do. On every car I've owned, prior to the F-Type, I have modded the HID housing and replaced with either a TSX or Morimoto housing for extreme sunlight-like output and razor thin cutoff line. I haven't done so on the F-Type because its a $2k housing that I am not yet brave enough to take on.

That being said, I am a little indifferent on the look of the LED headlamps. Love the functionality, but they make the F-Type appear as if it's blind when the lights are off. When both the main and fogs are on, the car looks awesome and quite futurist at night. When only the mains are on, the car looks weird again, like the pupils of a goat. Up close and in real-life the housing doesn't look cheap at all.

Last edited by zmoothg; 02-11-2018 at 06:16 PM.
J444G (06-09-2023)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Pretty sure that is a legal / road rules requirement, well at least in most RHD markets such as the UK and Oz it is, dunno about North America. On mine at least the DRL doesn't go full dark, it just dims to about 1/3 normal brightness. The theory is that some dopey inattentive driver (ie most of them!) may not notice the turn signal if the DRL on that side is at normal strength, so the Nanny State dictates that it must dim when the turn signal is on.
Correct. I don't have the exact number at the moment, but if the DRL is within so much distance of the turn signal, it must dim or go out completely when the turn signal is active. Anyone who tells you your headlight is out is a moron, because not only is it not a headlight, but its so common today with a good portion of cars having similar DRLs surrounding the headlights.

zmoothg (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i've wanted to retro the led headlights for a while now, and mainly because i just wasn't happy with the colour output from the d3s mercury free xenon bulbs - i've tried so many bulbs, osram cbi, philips ultinon, philips whv2...

however i have finally found a bulb that gives a noticeably whiter output, the new osram cool blue boost (cbb) - they are as close to a led colour output, while still maintaining 3000+ lumens, as we'll get out of this bi-xenon projector

in terms of actual jag led output, i had an f pace loaner and they were pretty poor tbh, i rekon i've driven halogen headlight cars in the past that had as good an output. they use an array of reflectors just like my f80 m3, which isn't the best solution for output, but nowhere near as bright or as clever in the adaptive functionality as my m3 - my m3 will create the tunnel of light when following vehicles and move single led arrays left/right to shift light away from oncoming cars, whereas jag led just seemed to cycle high beam on/off. I don't have any confidence the led headlight would be brighter than the bi-xenon headlight in the f-type

re the rear tail light, meh just looks like change for the sake of change to me

Last edited by domino_z; 02-11-2018 at 06:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by domino_z:
andykreb (03-10-2018), deltagroup (02-18-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
i've wanted to retro the led headlights for a while now, and mainly because i just wasn't happy with the colour output from the d3s mercury free xenon bulbs

however i have finally found a bulb that gives a whiter output, the new osram cool blue boost (cbb) - they are as close to a led colour output while still maintaining 3000+ lumens as we'll get out of this bi-xenon headlight
I have CBIs in mine. Are the CBBs better than the CBIs? I've never seen them in person. That said the CBIs are awesome, great color and great output. If you get the osram CBIs make sure they are the real thing, there are lots of fakes out there.

domino_z (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I have CBIs in mine. Are the CBBs better than the CBIs? I've never seen them in person. That said the CBIs are awesome, great color and great output. If you get the osram CBIs make sure they are the real thing, there are lots of fakes out there.
yeh i get all my bulbs from TRS or Lightwerkz

the cbi are yellow in comparison to the cbb - the cbb have a white light with a tinge of ice blue, however i've been driving around with headlights on and they are starting to colour shift and lose the ice blue for a more pure white light

in terms if output, there is no loss at all with the higher kelvin, in fact in testing by TRS they are actually brighter. having said that, the best bulb ive tried for output was the philips whv2 but they were just too yellow

the best thing i can say in reference to cbi, is that the cbb in d3s actually look like the cbi in a d2s - as you prob know, the mercury free d3s just lack colour compared to d1/d2/d4

the problem i have is jumping out of my f80 m3 with leds into the jag makes them seem a lot more yellow than they are probably in isolation

BTW i too have played around with lense and projector swaps, and i've contemplated buying a spare set of headlights to mod - i'd convert them to a d2s

Last edited by domino_z; 02-11-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Purchasing CBBs right now!

I have a spare set to mod sitting in my closet, but it doesn't fit in the oven, means having to slowly heat with heat gun and I've been too busy to get around to it.

Last edited by zmoothg; 02-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Purchasing CBBs right now!

I have a spare set to mod sitting in my closet, but it doesn't fit in the oven, means having to slowly heat with heat gun and I've been too busy to get around to it.
every now and then i check ebay uk (rhd) for a set just like mine - afs, black bezel, etc

if i find a set cheap that aren't off a wreck, i'd prob just drop ship them straight to trs/lightwerkz

Old 02-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

It was my understanding that the tail lights have different optics for the LED running light instead of just the brake light. The Running light looks like its lit with a standard halogen inside of a tube or rail, and the new ones look more consistent throughout.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I would like brighter tail lights and to go LED. If someone has a part/manufacturer for the LED. Most nice ones have the resistor built-in so as not to cause a warning light.

Not big on tinting, but brighter yes. OEM tails alone = not bright enough. + Fogs too bright/obnoxious, but I often turn on the fogs in even rain just because I don't want to get accordianed(?) by some texting twit.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to retrofit the 2018 headlights or taillights yet?