XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Auto Headlight Stay On

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts
Default Auto Headlight Stay On

I like that the X308 has the automatic-headlight-on feature, most vehicles today are set to run with daylight (dimmed) headlights on, and I think it's a good idea.
The 308's feature is a "sentinel" feature though, it only automatically turns on the headlights when it is low light or dark, somewhat adjustable by the light sensor switch.
I prefer that when the headlight switch is in the "auto" position that the headlights come on, and go off, with the ignition regardless of light value. So I simply put a small piece of electrical tape over the "electronic light sensor eye" on the front of the rear view mirror. Now when I put my lights in the auto mode, they come on regardless of light conditions, and I have daytime running lights, and I don't have to remember to turn them off when I exit the vehicle. (and of course still have the manual on-off option).

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
dahamsta (09-28-2020), someguywithajag (08-21-2021)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Why not just leave the headlight switch in the 'ON' position?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
Why not just leave the headlight switch in the 'ON' position?

Because if you do, when you turn the vehicle off, and exit, even though the headlights turn off, the running lights stay on, and you get an audible beeping to warn you of this. If you don't then manually turn your lights off, the running lights stay on and, if left long enough, would flatten the battery.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM

Maybe I'm getting confused, but it sounds like your running lights aren't wired up properly.

Ideally it wouldn't matter if you have the switch set to ON or AUTO, everything would still turn off with the ignition. Your running lights would always be on, but you could still toggle the headlights between ON and AUTO. This is the same idea as with the fog lights? You'd also still want some kind of master switch for the running lights as well, but that would be less important.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

You kind of confuse me there too...
I will be damned if wrong, but my running lights (meaning the front white parking lights, plus the side lights) switch off if I take the key out (1998 US Vanden Plas).
I like your ingenuity though!

For your info, there is an option in the control module to have daylight running lights permanently on.
I have never done it, and I have never read on the exact results, but I presume it switches on the same dipped headlights.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (08-21-2021)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm getting confused, but it sounds like your running lights aren't wired up properly.

Ideally it wouldn't matter if you have the switch set to ON or AUTO, everything would still turn off with the ignition. Your running lights would always be on, but you could still toggle the headlights between ON and AUTO. This is the same idea as with the fog lights? You'd also still want some kind of master switch for the running lights as well, but that would be less important.
Originally Posted by ericjansen
You kind of confuse me there too...
I will be damned if wrong, but my running lights (meaning the front white parking lights, plus the side lights) switch off if I take the key out (1998 US Vanden Plas).
I like your ingenuity though!

Hmmm, on my 2001 XJ8 VDP if I put the lights in the first position (running/parking lights.............the front white lights, plus side lights that Eric mentions), come on, when I complete my journey, turn the ignition off, remove the ignition key, the running/parking lights remain on. If I open the drivers door, they continue to remain on, and the beeper sounds to warn me of this. I have to turn the lights to the off position or the lights will remain on and eventually run the battery down.

If I put the light switch in the second position (headlights on), when I complete my journey, turn the ignition off, and remove the ignition key, the headlights automatically go off, but the running/parking lights remain on. If I open the drivers door, they continue to remain on, and the beeper sounds to warn me of this. I have to turn the lights to the off position or the lights will remain on and eventually run the battery down.

If I turn the switch to the third position (auto headlights) the headlights automatically come on when I start the car if the ambient light level is deemed "low", or do not come on if the ambient light levels are deemed high. Either way, when I stop the car, and remove the ignition key, the headlights (and running/parking lights) will turn off if they are on, and I will not get a warning beeper.

I have the light level eye covered, and so when in the auto position the headlights always come on regardless of the ambient light levels, and automatically go off when I turn off the car and/or remove the ignition key. No warning beeper.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 03-18-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I was always told the X308 did not have DRL in the USA market ... the running lights will stay on if you leave the switch on.

I typically use my headlight or running lights.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
If I put the light switch in the second position (headlights on), when I complete my journey, turn the ignition off, and remove the ignition key, the headlights automatically go off, but the running/parking lights remain on. If I open the drivers door, they continue to remain on, and the beeper sounds to warn me of this. I have to turn the lights to the off position or the lights will remain on and eventually run the battery down.
Hmmm, this is interesting. I wonder if you've got the Daytime Running Light option turned on then, as Eric has mentioned. But it still sounds very surprising that they don't turn off when you turn the car off.
Have you altered any of the wiring in any way?

Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm, this is interesting.
Have you altered any of the wiring in any way?
Nope, all stock as far as I know, and the car is relatively low mileage, unmolested condition.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Different countries have different lighting laws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The US spec cars have side lights ON with switch in the 'side lights'.
The side lights will ALSO come on with the HEADLIGHT position.
The headlamps ONLY come ON with the ignition in the ON position but the side lights will stay on if the key is tuned to OFF. (Parking Lights)

The headlamps/sidelamps will BOTH come on with KEY ON in the AUTO position if the ambient light level is low enough.

The headlamps/sidelamps will BOTH turn OFF with KEY OFF in the AUTO position.

What Carnival Kid did was to 'fool' the sensor so the lights come ON and OFF in the same manner as light switch in AUTO with low light level (same as NIGHT).

That is just the way it is here in the US. Your countries laws may differ, I am not an attorney spokesman, your mileage may differ, please consult your owners manual. If you have any questions please call 1-800-I DON'T GIVE A CRAP.

bob

grandell (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:26 PM

You learn something new every day!

Old 03-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

The old way for most manufacturers to provide DRL was to use the high beams at reduced output. The unshielded bulb provides a full reflector of light -- it visible over a wide angle.

My early 90's SAABs and MB's only required the addition of a relay to the fuse box ... MB stopped providing the easy way to add in the late 90's for some reason.

LED's have solved the the problem -- easy to add and long life

Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Hmmm, on my 2001 XJ8 VDP if I put the lights in the first position.
I will run down in an hour to check on mine, now I get curious ...

Old 03-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

....I will be damned if wrong ....
OK, so I am damned
My US car works exactly as yours, I can switch on the parking / running lights without the key, all others are switched and need the key to work.
Indeed a nice power-drain if forgotten ... which I obviously didn't do, otherwise I should have known.

motorcarman (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

OK, so I am damned
My US car works exactly as yours, I can switch on the parking / running lights without the key, all others are switched and need the key to work.
Indeed a nice power-drain if forgotten ... which I obviously didn't do, otherwise I should have known.

Well look at it this way........you learn something every day......... and.........you also know how to rig your lights to stay on all the time in auto mode now!

ericjansen (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

My first 01 was a Canadian model; it had daylight running lights. The last, a US marketed model, not so. What I would have liked to have is the moment the windshield wipers swipe, the lights come on (Virginia is mandatory lights on in the rain). Always thought I would play around with the wiring on the multifunction switch, but go lazy. . . .

Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I go through enough bulbs as it is without having them on full-time lol. But it's a great idea for instant DRL's without having to remember each time you get in the car.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
My first 01 was a Canadian model; it had daylight running lights. The last, a US marketed model, not so. What I would have liked to have is the moment the windshield wipers swipe, the lights come on (Virginia is mandatory lights on in the rain). Always thought I would play around with the wiring on the multifunction switch, but go lazy. . . .
Agree. I like DRL .... lights on w/wipers. It's the little things that make a car special .. like the extra delayed wipe after hitting the washers. I when wagons/SUV's turn on the rear wiper when you put the car in reverse w/rain. My 1st Jeep GC did all of the above 25 years ago.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
My first 01 was a Canadian model; it had daylight running lights
Was it the dipped mains coming on, or an extra bulb?
Were they reduced power, or full?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:27 PM

I wonder how easy it would be to rewire or fiddle with the relays so that the running lights automatically turn off with the ignition instead of staying on though.

Quick Reply: Auto Headlight Stay On