F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6-S dumping raw fuel

Old 04-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V6-S dumping raw fuel

I have a 2014 F-type approx 19 k miles. It had a incident spitting raw fuel out of the exhaust while my wife left it to warm up. It turned on the check engine light and a friend that had a generic OBD scanner read some codes, P300, P304 P305, P306 and a couple others. I will post them when he emails them. This was extremely dangerous as it pumped a significant of raw fuel out of the exhaust pipe and it continued to run. Anyone else witness something like this? suggestions? I called Jaguar and they say its out of warranty by 30 days but my records show its under warranty until April 26 2018. Regardless it is not safe to drive. Before I send it to Jaguar I want to know more about how something like this can happen.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:38 PM

My wife started our F-Type and let it warm up, it is under 19k miles. When she returned a few minutes later there was gasoline running out of the tailpipe and a incident occurred. The check engine light was on. When I returned and saw it I had a friend scan the car for codes before contacting Jaguar. It had a P300, P304, P305 and P306 as well as a couple others that I will post when I get his email. I called Jaguar and asked if there were any safety recalls on the car and they told me the car was out of warranty 30 days ago but no recalls. My records show April 26 2018. The warranty is one thing but this car should not have kept running. If it had been on a freeway at high engine temps I am sure the damage would have been catastrophic. Before I let it go to the dealer I want to gather information. Anyone else seen or heard of this? I saw one picture of a burned down F-Type but couldn't find any information. I am new to Jaguar only recently moving from 25 years with Porsche. I am no stranger to engines I have been supercharging 911's since 1999. I have zero confidence with Jaguar after this incident.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 PM

My V6-S is pumping raw fuel from the exhuast. Error codes P00C6, P228F, P1315, P0305

Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Sounds like you need to get it to the dealer.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM

This is a severe fire hazard. It isn't going anywhere until JLR answers some questions. I am looking to see if any others caught fire. This is a low mileage car.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Why aren't you letting your dealer address it? JLR will likely want a diagnosis from a certified technician, and at that point, the dealer and JLR should present a diagnosis and offer a solution.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Because of the circumstances, JLR is trying to get a recorded phone conversation with the events leading up to this. That isn't going to happen. There is a bigger problem and I'm not letting the car go anywhere until I can get an independent assessment of what happened. Had this car been running at freeway speeds I have no doubt it would have burned to the pavement. Coming from Porsche this car really impressed me, until this happened. I am quite honestly disgusted with the car and the approach JLR has taken. Next will be the video links under Jay Leno's F-Type videos on you-tube, all these forums etc. I am trying to find out if any other owners have seen this. If not then I intend to find the cause and make people aware. This wasn't a simple CEL situation. That I can understand, this I cannot.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

First I've heard of anything like this happening. I think the spirit of cooperation goes a long way in working with a dealer and manufacturer. Why are you so distrusting of JLR and having a dealer look at it?

ndabunka (04-10-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Dude...relax.

baldguy (04-22-2019)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:15 PM

This was an EXTREMELY dangerous situation. One that warrants limited cooperation. Anyone a party to the conversation I had with JLR and hearing them immediately mention legal issues would understand why it has to be approached in this manner. I called and asked about safety recalls, and then briefly discussed what happened. I want to know if anyone else had similar issues. The topic I originally posted here was early today, and had to be approved by the moderator??? It still has not been posted. You have to ask yourself why? I contacted JLR two weeks ago. Then after being bullied and them trying to get my spouse to talk about it I asked for a supervisor. They never called back. I followed it up with a certified letter and a picture which they received on Friday.

Last edited by awjens; 04-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by awjens
This was an EXTREMELY dangerous situation. One that warrants limited cooperation. Anyone a party to the conversation I had with JLR and hearing them immediately mention legal issues would understand why it has to be approached in this manner. I called and asked about safety recalls, and then briefly discussed what happened. I want to know if anyone else had similar issues. The topic I originally posted here was early today, and had to be approved by the moderator??? It still has not been posted. You have to ask yourself why? I contacted JLR two weeks ago. Then after being bullied and them trying to get my spouse to talk about it I asked for a supervisor. They never called back. I followed it up with a certified letter and a picture which they received on Friday.
From thousands of miles above this fray, it appears from your few posts in this thread alone that your rather hostile approach toward JLR and/or the dealer is a big part of the problem... Take your car to the dealer and allow them the opportunity to investigate and fix the problem.

Regardless of how dangerous the situation may have been, behind evasive or withholding the vehicle from JLR for whatever the reason isn't going to solve anything!

Last edited by IronMike; 04-09-2018 at 12:28 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by IronMike:
Don1954 (04-09-2018), Jagged Wire (04-10-2018), JgaXkr (04-09-2018), mbelanger (04-11-2018), SinF (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:52 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The topic I originally posted here was early today, and had to be approved by the moderator??? It still has not been posted. You have to ask yourself why? I contacted JLR two weeks ago.
Hi, welcome (back) to the forum, I'm a moderator here.

Your posts were automatically flagged for moderation by the forum software, probably because prior to today you hadn't posted anything for a while, and only had four posts in total, so it might have looked odd to the system.

I have now approved your posts, and merged them into this thread.

This forum is not affiliated with Jaguar Land Rover, it's owned by an independent internet company with zero ties to JLR. So if you're expecting to get some "results" from making noise here, it's probably not going to have the desired affect. The moderators are volunteers, just Jaguar enthusiasts, we're not paid for this...

Sounds like you've had your cage rattled, but your cryptic posts are going to make people suspicious.

"When she returned a few minutes later there was gasoline running out of the tailpipe and a incident occurred."

Incident? Could you try to be any less specific?

The codes you post, P300, P304 P305, P306 are for misfires on cylinders of one bank of the engine, as is the P1315 "persistent misfire".

P00C6 is Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low Bank 1, perhaps from a fuel leak at the rail or a fault with the mechanical high pressure pump on that side.

P228F-85 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Exceeded Learning Limits- Too High - Signal above allowable range, Damaged/worn high pressure fuel pump, pump failure, etc...

So yes, there was/is a fuel problem... using my internet telepathy I'm going to guess that there was a fault with one of the high pressure fuel pumps, and overfuelling of one engine bank as a result. Seems pretty hard to believe that liquid gasoline would make it out the exhaust pipes though...

I've not heard of it happening myself, but there's a first time for everything?

"Next will be the video links under Jay Leno's F-Type videos on you-tube, all these forums etc" well, that's a great philosophy, threaten everyone with bad PR!

If you've got a problem with Jaguar, then take it up with Jaguar, this forum is not Jaguar.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Don1954 (04-09-2018), Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

So let’s see... gas pours out of your exhaust pipes, you call JLR, they want to record the call and threaten you with legal action and you are super angry with everyone including this forum. Seems a lot of detail missing to this story...

For what it’s worth I have never heard or read of anything similar with the F Type.

Google search is your friend - any other reports on the internet of this happening?

Last edited by ek993; 04-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

+1 to what Cambo and most of the others have said. Pull out the Triple A card, have it delivered to the dealer and politely ask them to look into the problem. After they ascertain what the issue is, you can gently discuss the warranty dates. Any other approach would raise a brick wall with any rational person. If there are other details relevant to contraindicating this approach, we're all ears. I understand that almost burning up your home and spouse threw a big scare into you, but taking out your angst on the dealer or JLR is counterproductive.

The following 7 users liked this post by Unhingd:
andykreb (04-09-2018), Don1954 (04-09-2018), Jagged Wire (04-10-2018), mbelanger (04-11-2018), ndabunka (04-10-2018), SinF (04-09-2018), Suaro (04-09-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM

This isn't a simple pull out the AAA card and get the car fixed. It was in a garage with the door open and it started a fire. The minute "Fire" came out in the discussion with JLR is when all the problems started. I would have taken it in that day had it been a simple CEL light. Their response and their line of questioning and repeatedly telling me the conversation was recorded was suspicious at best. I guarantee this is not the only vehicle that has see this problem. I am no idiot when it comes to cars and customer service representatives. I asked if anyone on this board had a similar problem. If you haven't and you don't care about the potential for your F-Type to catch on fire then move on. You don't have to read any further.

This is quite simple. A car left running for less than 5 minutes started a fire. I would ask everyone here who has tossed in a comment this simple question. How many cars have you had in your lifetime that started a fire while idling or even driving for that matter. Again a car with under 20k miles. I have never heard of it. Now put your wife in the car while your at work and she stops at a stop light or is driving down the freeway.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Up till now you were saying raw fuel. Only in post 15 did you say there was a fire.

What's the true and complete story?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
mbelanger (04-11-2018), Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I would ask everyone here who has tossed in a comment this simple question. How many cars have you had in your lifetime that started a fire while idling or even driving for that matter.
16 years ago. Ferrari F355. Caught fire while I was driving it on the highway (or motorway as we called them back in the UK). I have the photos to prove it.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I suspect the attitude you claim of JLR may be attributed in part to the litigious nature of the US in general and "compensation" claims. Many forums related to that seem to mention the "how do you want/need to be made whole again" ? In your case there is obviously any actual damage caused by said fire. Then the unease about the what-if....

JLR would probably be looking to establish whether this is likely isolated to your specific vehicle due to a number of circumstances or could be extrapolated to a more widespread design and/or component issue. Look at how the Takata airbag scenario has played out.

What is it that you feel will make you whole - JLR buy back your F so you can return to a more familiar trusted marque ? There is an old adage that one catches more flies with honey than vinegar - whilst shock might explain taking an adversarial approach (or the ambulance chasing lawyers said that is how one should approach large corporations who have a vested interest in covering things up (!)) I suspect if you apply more honey, things might turn out better all around.

Mechanical things sometimes happen - Top Gear UK recently had to evacuate a brand new Alpine whilst filming due to a fuel leak causing the car to burn to the ground. Until the due diligence has been done by allowing the experts to investigate, it seems contrary to hold your car to ransom is what I think JLR are probably thinking...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...uring-filming/

Keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
16 years ago. Ferrari F355. Caught fire while I was driving it on the highway (or motorway as we called them back in the UK). I have the photos to ...
Wasn’t that one of the basic charms of the F355?
I have had a couple of engine fires caused by high lift cams, extreme timing, and backfire into the engine compartment. All self-induced,so I couldn’t sue myself. There’s a reason I stockpile fire extinguishers. Fortunately never any serious damage.

Back to the topic at hand: Early on there were a number of fire related recalls related to electrical cabling and accessory mounts, But that doesn’t appear to apply in this case.

Was the fuel coming out of the tailpipe?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Go to utube and you see the Lambos catching on fire from the exhaust. I don't get why your so bent out of shape from being recorded from JLR, every conversation is recorded. Bring the car in and get it fixed, why all the drama.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6-S dumping raw fuel