F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "New" F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My "New" F Type R

Finally, after two previous tries I have acquired the car of my dreams; a Polaris White 2015 F Type R.
I had previously purchased two F Type Premiums (base); the first one with a 6 speed manual transmission; the second one a convertible.
First I'll talk about the manual F Type. Beautiful color Storm Grey, but the 340hp did not delivered the power I expected from a F Type. Furthermore, the 6 speed manual transmission felt as an after-thought, in other words, it did not fit right in the cabin. The gear shifting was slow in engage, and the driving felt uncomfortable. I was raised with manual transmission cars, but let's face it, the automatic transmissions now a days have been so perfected that they actually beat in performance the manual transmission.
Now the convertible. Again a 340hp, automatic this time which I found to be very comfortable, although again underpowered. The looks of the convertible can not be compared to the elegance of the coupe. I understand that this is a matter of personal likes and dislikes, but ...
Finally, I have my R trim F Type. 550 hp is insane. There is absolutely no comparison with the 340hp, or the 380hp for that matter. This car is in a different league.
Wanted my colleagues in the forum to know about my new acquisition and offer an unsolicited view on my previous purchases. Regardless of the trim level the F Type is a beautiful car that commands the attraction of many.

Attached Thumbnails My "New" F Type R-img_0702.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by dcompain:
jaguny (06-17-2018), Mulmur (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow! 3rd F-Type!

What is it they say?

3rd times a charm?

Nice motor car!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

I think you will be very happy with your 2015 R. Of course, I might be a bit biased.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice progression! I too wouldn't mind more power out of my v6 ftype and am debating my options when the lease expires. That said, your comments on the manual as an after thought struck a chord. It is entirely impossible to see the active exhaust and start/stop buttons around the shift lever. You have to basically lean over the lever to see them. It's like they just stuck it in there saw the problem (it's that obvious) and said "Eh, f*** it. Good enough." That said, I know where they are by feel now, but still need to lean forward to check if the light is on or off. Otherwise, no complaints about the manual from me. I bought this car as something between a sports and gt car and am happy with how it drives. For me, the engagement of the manual is not something I am willing to give up yet--although the pull of 550hp is enticing!

Last edited by caviarjag; 06-15-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Congratulations on getting your dream F Type, hope it puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Regarding manual versus automatic transmission, I simply can't understand how people prefer manual these days.

I was also brought up on manual transmission and can understand how even a four speed manual could be preferable to an old three speed auto.

Modern auto, especially eight speed ZF in our F Type is superior in every regard in my opinion.
Faster gear shifts than the best driver can manage in a manual, easier in commute stop go traffic, plus if you want to control changes the paddle or gear lever will give you that control .
I have driven six speed manual, six speed dual clutch automated manual and ZF eight speed, can't think of one advantage of full manual box.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Congrats; nice color ( I could be biased!)

I was at the dealer today and took a look at their F type stock; they had 3 V6S coupes, one "400" coupe, one V6 'vert and one V8R 'vert. I think the 2018 BRG V6 coupe was the best looking of the bunch but I'm firmly stuck on having a V8......and while I like the look of the coupe better, it isn't better enough to make me want to give up the drop top....so I guess I'll keep mine

The manual vs. auto is a personal thing; I certainly "get" the allure of the manual tranny and have owned dozens of them but I really like the ZF8 spd in this car with the paddles.....and with all the different modes even the V8 can be a totally tame car that my wife can drive too - I like that.

Dave

Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Congrats, great looking car. Do you know how the side sills came to be black?

Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They came with it. I think it is part of the Black Pack package?

Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! I just picked up my (new to me) '15 R coupe yesterday after a minor false start (transmission melted on day 1, covered by warranty).

White was going to be my choice, but I had a chance to get the red and took it!

I've driven (not owned) most of the usual exotics and this thing is right up there in fun factor. Possibly more so, because it's the right balance of attention getting and terrifying!

Old 06-15-2018, 07:41 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats on a beautiful car. Enjoy & drive that thing safe...it can be a handful at times.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by dcompain
They came with it. I think it is part of the Black Pack package?
in 2015 the black sills were part of the aero kit on the R. They became body color (and fatter) the following year.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Black package would include window trim and side louvers/vents.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier

The manual vs. auto is a personal thing; I certainly "get" the allure of the manual tranny and have owned dozens of them but I really like the ZF8 spd in this car with the paddles.....and with all the different modes even the V8 can be a totally tame car that my wife can drive too - I like that.
Good point. With 450 horses, a short-shifter and a touchy throttle, my wife refuses to drive the beast, even though she drives a 6 speed MINI JCW. She hates driving my MINI for the same reasons (except for having half the horses) she won't drive the Jag.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

I can hardly get my wife to get in the Jag.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

That IS a nice car ! Congrats!!!
Now you have to tame the Puddy Cat...lol

Last edited by Magical; 06-16-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I can hardly get my wife to get in the Jag.
My wife has never ridden in the Jag.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

My better half (AKA SWMBO) rides with me fairly often, but she makes Driving Miss Daisy look like a hoon. At the slightest whiff of reasonable acceleration I cop a fearful earful and threats of "let me out here".
A few days ago we took a little drive (about 200 km return) to go whale watching (we didn't see any) and to a winery, and her conditions were that if we took the F-Type she would do all the driving once we cleared the city traffic. I decided to suck it up and take one for the team, so I agreed to her conditions. She then spent the whole time going 10, 20 or more km/h under the pitifully low speed limits, causing tailbacks on the country roads. At least she pulled over a couple of times to let them pass, but it was a painful experience for me!

The following users liked this post:
Magical (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Great choice! It's great to have a friend with a convertible for the 3 days a year you might actually want to drive with the top down. They sound like a great idea but will all eventually cause problems either mechanically or fabric. And make for easy access for thieves. I've always loved the feel and connectivity of driving a manual transmission. But as you get older I think the practical side of city driving to and from work likes the ease of an automatic. Paddle shifters are there to make me think I'm not TOO old and lazy but can't recreate downshifting while subtly modulating clutch engagement. Didn't look at an S or an SVR. Low miles off a lease, cost vs performance with the stunning aesthetic, R or nothing.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My better half (AKA SWMBO) rides with me fairly often, but she makes Driving Miss Daisy look like a hoon. At the slightest whiff of reasonable acceleration I cop a fearful earful and threats of "let me out here".
A few days ago we took a little drive (about 200 km return) to go whale watching (we didn't see any) and to a winery, and her conditions were that if we took the F-Type she would do all the driving once we cleared the city traffic. I decided to suck it up and take one for the team, so I agreed to her conditions. She then spent the whole time going 10, 20 or more km/h under the pitifully low speed limits, causing tailbacks on the country roads. At least she pulled over a couple of times to let them pass, but it was a painful experience for me!
That is a funny story. I have to ask what is (AKA SWMBO) ? But from the consensus and personal experience, it's true. My passenger door has claw marks on it ; )
I'm still laughing Oz

Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I'm still in the dog house for an "aggressive pass" on Saturday! LOL

Dave

Quick Reply: My "New" F Type R