F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! 2019MY delayed due to updated engine certification

Old 06-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default HELP!!! 2019MY delayed due to updated engine certification

I ordered a new 2019 MY in April, and had a scheduled delivery date of June 22 (next week!). The built was completed on June 8. Today, I received the email below from my dealer. It says the F Type has an updated engine (really????) that requires certification (what????) and as a result, I will need to wait until September 28 for delivery (kill me now!!!!). My dealer seems to be trustworthy, but I thought I would check with the forum for any advice or thoughts.
I am terrified that US tariffs on foreign car imports will be applied in the next couple of months while I wait for my car to be shipped.

Here is the email:
I have bad news, the car although built, has not been shipped and I am now being told that the 19.5 MY car has an updated engine which will also require certification before it can be released.The timeline for this appears to be a little unknown, but I can see it possibly adding 3 months to the original delivery date we had.

Last edited by Brock; 06-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am supposed to take delivery of mine 19.5MY July 11th, let me reach out to my dealership and see what's up.

The following users liked this post:
Brock (06-16-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This sounds to me like a BS, JLR have not announced any V6 or V8 engine upgrades to best of my knowledge. Unless you ordered 4-banger, in that case I don't know what they are doing with it.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 AM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Might have something to do with the new European emission limits.

For a car to be sold in the European Union after August 1st it need to be emissions level 6b - the V6 apparently isn't there yet. Rumor has it will be discontinued altogether for sale in Europe.

What's strange about this, is that it really shouldn't affect you guys in the US. Still, if they did manage to make the V6 engine Euro-6b compatible that might mean it needs to be re-certified in the US as well...

Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Emissions are always bad news for performance.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Emissions are always bad news for performance.
Short term, yes. But long term, emissions requirements spurred the development of fully computer-controlled air/fuel delivery systems rendering the classic "muscle cars" impotent compared to today's cars. We might still be synchronizing pairs of 4 barrel carbs, otherwise.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
This sounds to me like a BS, JLR have not announced any V6 or V8 engine upgrades to best of my knowledge. Unless you ordered 4-banger, in that case I don't know what they are doing with it.

Thank you. It is an F-Type R, for the US market (I am in NY).

Last edited by Brock; 06-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I work at a competing luxury brand's plant and to me this sounds like some sort of trickery from the dealer. If we had some sort of certification issue with a specific model of vehicle, it would trigger a large scale response from both the PR department as well as logistics. All customers and dealers affected would need to be notified immediately and given updated timetables. There is no guessing involved about when a large number of vehicles will be shipped. The vehicles themselves would have to be routed to holding lots, where their vins would have blocks placed on them in the routing system, preventing them from being moved anywhere. Once the issue is resolved, the blocks are lifted, the vehicles get routed to a prep area, washed, prepped, and handed off to a third party for shipping.

I would give JLR North America a call to get the official word. If there is actually a block placed on those cars, they should be able to give you more specifics.

The following 3 users liked this post by XxMerlinxX:
99Gsp (06-17-2018), Brock (06-17-2018), ralphwg (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I agree with XxMerlinxX's points. (That bubba knows his stuff;-)

There's no way JLR is stacking up 3 month's of imports in Customs.

Do you have a VIN# and/or do you have a copy of the VISTA (factory) order? Your dealer can provide the VISTA printout and, if the car is, indeed, built, VISTA will have the VIN#. If your dealer hasn't and "can't" provide one, he's gaming you.

With the VIN#, you can at least verify where the vehicle is:

1. Click here and enter the VIN in the Cargo ID search box. Then hit "Track". This will give you specific ETA for leaving/arriving at port. It will also give you the name of the vessel carrying your car.

2. Click here and enter the name of the vessel in the search box on the left side of the screen. Vessels are only tracked within a couple hundred miles of the coast, so it won't work for vessels in the middle of the Atlantic, but you can see it leaving and arriving at port. (For those on the West Coast, it's also kinda fun to watch it pass through the Panama Canal.
)

Hope this helps.

Brock (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Thanks, uncheel. I do have a copy of the factory order and a VIN number, which is reassuring. I do believe that the order was put through, the car was built... but for some reason, something went wrong. I just hope to put my hands on the car before US Import Tariffs are put in place in the coming months!

NOTE ON TRACKING... the Wellenius site does not enable tracking anymore. It says "Due to security concerns we have decided to remove the cargo id search functionality from our Track & Trace web page."

Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Can’t track by VIN anymore, Wallenius changed this a few months ago. I called Wallenius to verify when I couldn’t get the above link to work. My dealer told me what ship it was on.

If this delay isn’t specific to your car I wouldn’t get that worked up over it. Frustrating yes, but what can you do? I have a MY19 that arrived on the east coast May 12th but was held there with all the other MY19s for reasons described in one of the MY19 threads. It was released to the carrier this past Saturday and should arrive in Ohio this week, most likely within the next couple days.

If your car has specific issues causing a delay, well I suggest reading Stohlen’s thread on his MY16 to feel better.

It’ll all work out and I wouldn’t worry too much. My car should be here in the next day or two, my wife is having our second kid tomorrow. With all the family coming up I have a feeling I won’t be able to get to the dealer for a week or two. Nonetheless, the car is an exciting purchase and small delays shouldn’t make the experience less enjoyable for anyone.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pie944
If this delay isn’t specific to your car I wouldn’t get that worked up over it.
The new target delivery date of 9/28 would potentially subject me to 25% import tariffs on european cars... my R would end up costing more than an SVR!
Congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I wrestled with waiting for a 19 or grabbing an 18 with a sizable Jaguar cash incentive. That was 2 months ago and the opportunity to snag a new 18 is still out there.

I did a little state hopping to PA and landed my F Type R, no worry about tariffs and enjoying this driving season. The F will hibernate through the darkness of a Northeast winter so driving time is always precious.

I was lucky. They had an Ultra Blue R and I dig it. They have 2 new 18 R's left, a BRG and a Corris, both nicely optioned. If you'd like an intro to the GM feel free to PM me. I've purchased several vehicles there and found them to be professional and knowledgeable. They also have two 4oo's and a half dozen other 6's.

Best of luck in your acquisition process if the 19 is the right one. Sending positive mojo your way! If you like the thought of a new 18 with incentive discount and immediate driving gratification...holler.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 06-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944
Can’t track by VIN anymore, Wallenius changed this a few months ago. I called Wallenius to verify when I couldn’t get the above link to work. My dealer told me what ship it was on.

If this delay isn’t specific to your car I wouldn’t get that worked up over it. Frustrating yes, but what can you do? I have a MY19 that arrived on the east coast May 12th but was held there with all the other MY19s for reasons described in one of the MY19 threads. It was released to the carrier this past Saturday and should arrive in Ohio this week, most likely within the next couple days.

If your car has specific issues causing a delay, well I suggest reading Stohlen’s thread on his MY16 to feel better.

It’ll all work out and I wouldn’t worry too much. My car should be here in the next day or two, my wife is having our second kid tomorrow. With all the family coming up I have a feeling I won’t be able to get to the dealer for a week or two. Nonetheless, the car is an exciting purchase and small delays shouldn’t make the experience less enjoyable for anyone.
Get your priorities straight. Forget the kid...it's just a spare.

Happy Father's Day!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:05 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Well congratulations on the new blessing.

But
(1) I don't think the tariff is your problem. You have a deal with the dealer and unless there is something in the fine print, it should be JLR's problem. I have read in the FT that MB is contemplating absorbing all or part of any Trump Tariff.
(2) I have been buying a variety of European cars for almost 40 years including OSD, and I have never seen so many delivery issues as Jaguar has. The three most popular subjects on this forum have to be the F-Type sound, how good it looks, and the unending delivery issues. I would really appreciate hearing from someone in the know, like the poster above who works for a competitor, as to what is going on.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
NOTE ON TRACKING... the Wellenius site does not enable tracking anymore. It says "Due to security concerns we have decided to remove the cargo id search functionality from our Track & Trace web page."
Apparently Wellenius has, indeed, removed the ability to track by VIN. You can still track if you can get the booking number, bill of lading number, or the customer reference number.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you have confirmation that your car shipped. If you have any lingering suspicions, you can confirm the build date when the car arrives (but it doesn't get a VIN until the production cycle, so there's not much room for play). It's odd that we haven't heard anything in the press if all 5.0L engines are on hold.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:10 PM

Here is what I heard from my dealer: the 19.5MY F Type Base and S have the same engine but the F Type R was "enhanced". Thus, it needs to be certified by the EPA before being allowed to enter the US. This will require some time (at this point, they are estimating 3 months). Hence, all 19.5MY F Type R are either on hold in the UK (my case, it has not shipped) or in Baltimore.

I have called JLR to confirm this story... but have not heard back.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Here is what I heard from my dealer: the 19.5MY F Type Base and S have the same engine but the F Type R was "enhanced". Thus, it needs to be certified by the EPA before being allowed to enter the US. This will require some time (at this point, they are estimating 3 months). Hence, all 19.5MY F Type R are either on hold in the UK (my case, it has not shipped) or in Baltimore.
This happens all the time. If the OEM makes any emissions related changes to the engine, the vehicle has to be re-certified. Happened for 15MY, happened for 16MY, and 18MY with the new rating. The only difference here is the diesel-gate situation happened and now the EPA is being more thorough in their testing; resulting in a longer wait.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Call Scott Pruitt on his secure phone booth. He doesn’t give a s**t about emissions. He will release your car.

KarimEls (06-23-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Is this the way all manufacturers do business. Wouldn’t you certify the engine before production. I have a hard time seeing MB halting deliveries for 90 days waiting for certification.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!! 2019MY delayed due to updated engine certification