XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Another Shrinking Dash - Opinions

Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another Shrinking Dash - Opinions

So I have read the 16 page shrinking dash thread. I see 1 or 2 people were able to stretch their dash back into place. Well I have an 07 XKR that I just got from Texas, this one is pretty bad. I happen to have a windshield guy at my shop so I pulled the windshield for $125 R&R to see what I can do. Now my question is for those who have "stretched" their dash back into place is: how far stretched was yours to begin with? I did not see any before and after pics. Of course I need a speaker grill too which seem to run $150 from Jag. The drivers side is good an attached. See attached pics.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

fast feline,
I had a similar problem, and I've written many of the posts regarding repair and restretching of the dash. Originally, before your dash leather "shrunk," the leather stretched just enough to cover the front lip, there was not enough to wrap around the underside. When the adhesive gave up on the front lip, that's when all of the issues begin. You need to get it stretched back to that front lip where a long nosed upholstery air stapler can shoot staples through the leather into the front lip of the dash. It also needs staples all the way around the center speaker into the frame. Once this has been done, the leather is anchored forever, and can't move (shrink). It's been about five years since I did mine with the dash removed, and it still looks perfect even though I can tell that there are areas where the adhesive has given up. But with the anchoring of the staples there is nowhere for the leather to retract. Although, I had had my dash removed while I was having other work done on my car, and I took it to my long time furniture upholsterer, I postulated that with the windshield removed, I thought there would be enough room to use a long nosed upholstery stapler to do the required anchoring. I would suggest that you find a local upholsterer with a portable air compressor who can come to where your car is, lay new adhesive and do the stapling. It can be done.

Last edited by tberg; 07-13-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fast feline
Of course I need a speaker grill too which seem to run $150 from Jag. The drivers side is good an attached. See attached pics.
FYI, according to my source the LEG (dark Charcoal) is discontinued and was last priced at $143.26.

But, I just bought the C2C15291AMT (Oyster) version that is still available for $36.37 which you can then spray dye charcoal.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
FYI, according to my source the LEG (dark Charcoal) is discontinued and was last priced at $143.26.

But, I just bought the C2C15291AMT (Oyster) version that is still available for $36.37 which you can then spray dye charcoal.

Hope that helps,

Dave
Wow, I paid around $40 two years ago when I replaced my dash. I don't see it listed as discontinued since it was supplied with 2015 models, but spray dye would be a great solution in lieu of a new purchase, but there are a few out there:

2007-2015 Jaguar XK R S Dash Center Speaker Cover Grille C2C15291LEG 6W83-04454-A LEG small cracked: Jaguar Used Parts, Auto Body Supplies, Salvage Car Wrecking Junk Yard

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...4-65574bd0d700

Which part number are you using?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Wow, I paid around $40 two years ago when I replaced my dash. I don't see it listed as discontinued since it was supplied with 2015 models, but spray dye would be a great solution in lieu of a new purchase, but there are a few out there:

2007-2015 Jaguar XK R S Dash Center Speaker Cover Grille C2C15291LEG 6W83-04454-A LEG small cracked: Jaguar Used Parts, Auto Body Supplies, Salvage Car Wrecking Junk Yard

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...4-65574bd0d700

Which part number are you using?
The same part number I posted in my last post, same number you used.

Things have changed in 2 years..

I will call my parts manager dude Monday to confirm, but their "discontinued" markings have been 100% accurate so far.

Happy Saturday,

Dave

Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Thanks tberg! Could you tell me the tools you used to stretch the dash back or if there is another thread you wrote about that you could you link me to.

10XKR - Good info! Ill be ordering that $36 interior oyster grill and paint it. I find it funny that Jaguar discontinued the charcoal as this seems to be the most popular interior color.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks tberg! Could you tell me the tools you used to stretch the dash back or if there is another thread you wrote about that you could you link me to.

10XKR - Good info! Ill be ordering that $36 interior oyster grill and paint it. I find it funny that Jaguar discontinued the charcoal as this seems to be the most popular interior color.
Hi,

It is not that they "discontinued", it is just LEG is the most used Color (Warm Charcoal) and the stock on hand is used up faster, I assume with warranty claims etc.

Happy Saturday,

Dave

Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Living in Florida, the dash issue is definitely a concern. The car is garaged and has a top quality shade for the front windshield. But does anyone have any preventative treatment to keep this from happening?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Living in Florida, the dash issue is definitely a concern. The car is garaged and has a top quality shade for the front windshield. But does anyone have any preventative treatment to keep this from happening?
Hands down the best of the best is Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator/ Prestine Clean. Follow the directions and do the intense treatment (slather it on, cover with plastic sheet for greenhouse effect) the longer the better. A few days is great, a week is even better. If you do this once a year on a good condition dash it will keep it looking new. More importantly if you have a compromised dash, it is the best option for bringing it back or at least stopping the carnage.

Mandatory Amazon Link, LOL
Amazon Amazon

Best $35 you can ever spend for preserving/rejuvenating your leather.

Happy Sunday,

Dave

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

fast feline,
My upholsterer simply pulled it back to its original shape and stapled it to the frame at the windshield edge and around the center speaker. The leather will stretch back. The staples will show when looking in from the windshield, however, I glued a flat leather braid in the same color that covered the edge and the staples.

chazaroo (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
fast feline,
My upholsterer simply pulled it back to its original shape and stapled it to the frame at the windshield edge and around the center speaker. The leather will stretch back. The staples will show when looking in from the windshield, however, I glued a flat leather braid in the same color that covered the edge and the staples.
I did the same except I used a piece of piping from upholstery store to finish edge and hide staples...

Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM

Question. Any recommendations on what tools to use to grab the leather and pull it.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Question. Any recommendations on what tools to use to grab the leather and pull it.
My dash was only just started to pull by the center speaker, but I didn’t need any special tools. I sprayed an adhesive under the lifted part and used my hands to pull it back and stapled it along the entire edge and then glued a black piping to hide staples. I took a couple pics they windshield, sorry for reflections...

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
d a (08-25-2020), retaildad (08-13-2020)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

As Texas Traveler has said, no special tools needed. just pull it back, generously spray adhesive, anchor with staples around center speaker, and then against the windsheld front. Problem solved.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Thanks guys. I cant get much movement just pulling on it. I need something to help loosen it up some. I like the pipe idea to hide the staples.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

One thing to be careful with are the plastic defroster vents. After baking in the sun for years, the plastic is very fragile and can sometimes break just by touching it. So, if the stapler will reach the front lip without removing the vents, you are better off. Otherwise, you will be gluing pieces of the vents together to make it look whole as it will undoubtedly crack in handling.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes what Tberg said Fragile doesn’t even describe those defrost vents... not to mention they don’t sell them separate from the dash, almost everyone that has ever had to get close to them is still waiting for someone to 3D print us some replacements. My passenger side one has a small hairline crack in it after removing them when making dash repair...

Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have not touched the defrost vents but will be super careful. I'll update with pics when this project is finished.

tberg (07-15-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

My upholstery shop has done dozens of them and figured out a much needed mod- they fabricate a metal strip that goes around the edge.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I pulled the dash, but the leather had shrunk to much to stretch around the edge. It was also dry rotted and split at the seams when I tried to pull it.

Ended up having it recovered. My defrost grill also broke, so hopefully someone will print those soon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Shrinking Dash - Opinions