Sponsored by:

Pros / Cons to removing hood liner

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts
Default Pros / Cons to removing hood liner

OK, has anyone done this ?

I have the same issue as these people; the liner is abrading the intercooler hose(s) too the point I'm worried about a hose failure. I put a sleeve over the affected area made from an old heater hose slit down the length. Not a really good solution as the extra diameter just puts more pressure on the temp. sending units wiring which are directly under the intercooler hoses :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-engine-44163/

My hood needs a repaint anyway, so I'm not too concerned with heat damage, although I don't think that is going to be a problem. I've had many many cars, including e types and Shelby's that normally ran moderately hot, 210-220. And they had no hood liner and no paint damage from heat.

I'm pretty sure there will be more engine noise, but as it's too darn quiet anyway, so thats a plus for me.

So, anyone just remove the whole liner ? in the the topic referenced above, some people just cut out the hood liner where it was making contact with the hoses. To me, I'd rather just take off the whole thing than hack it up.

Z

Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Z,

I owned an XJ6 for a while. I removed the hood liner from that car - little did I know it provided protection from an engine heat source. I don't recall exactly what produced this heat on that model, but bad news. The paint on the outside of the hood bubbled within a week or two!

I cant think of anything that could go wrong on the xk8, but good thing to ask.

If there's something that might be problematic I'm sure it'll come out with the combined knowledge here.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 08-15-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

no comments ? .....guess I'm the only XKR owner who's having the issue of the hood liner abrading the intercooler hoses.... Will report back on a permanent solution .

Z.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
no comments ? .....guess I'm the only XKR owner who's having the issue of the hood liner abrading the intercooler hoses.... Will report back on a permanent solution .
Z.
Ok a few thoughts.

Seems unlikely that contact with the liner was by design.

Removing the liner will probably affect the paint on the exterior of the hood.

Gluing the liner to the inside of the hood reduces the overall heat insulation a bit but must be okay since there are no reports of negative effects.

What is it with XKR owners wanting their cars to make more noise? Usually it is exhaust. Now even louder engine rattles & whines are desirable? It's a noticeable trend in the threads.

How about a picture of the "damage"? Even in the referenced thread I could find no pic of the contact point.

Is it possible that the hydraulic engine mounts are failing to keep the engine stable and allowing the contact?

Is the liner sagging such that it could be fixed by adding more retainers (P/N KRS113130). I added a few to mine to keep the edges from drooping.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
Ok a few thoughts.

Seems unlikely that contact with the liner was by design.

Removing the liner will probably affect the paint on the exterior of the hood.

Gluing the liner to the inside of the hood reduces the overall heat insulation a bit but must be okay since there are no reports of negative effects.

What is it with XKR owners wanting their cars to make more noise? Usually it is exhaust. Now even louder engine rattles & whines are desirable? It's a noticeable trend in the threads.

How about a picture of the "damage"? Even in the referenced thread I could find no pic of the contact point.

Is it possible that the hydraulic engine mounts are failing to keep the engine stable and allowing the contact?

Is the liner sagging such that it could be fixed by adding more retainers (P/N KRS113130). I added a few to mine to keep the edges from drooping.

thank you for the observations.

All hood liner screws in place, and no drooping in the areas of contact. I can push on the hood liner and there is no movement. So it appears to be as close up tight to the hood as possible.

Motor mounts show no signs of movement

The hood liner looks as though it has actually melted from the contact with the (hot) intercooler hose(s). There is one major point of contact on one hose / liner location and a couple of minor points of contact on another hose.

Here are some photos. The light areas of the hood liner are where it is making contact with the hoses. The last photo is of the hose showing the most contact and abrasion.

Pros / Cons to removing hood liner-qbxksk8.jpg

Pros / Cons to removing hood liner-wlbdyls.jpg

Pros / Cons to removing hood liner-yiba9xl.jpg

Z.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi,

I removed the liner completely last year, my car is a 2000 Xkr. No issues with paint on the hood so far, maybe different colors affects differently. Mine is platinum grey. Here in northern Europe summers are not very warm but this one has been the warmest ever recorded, temperature regularly around 30 degrees celcius. So I guess in my case at least hood paint was not affected by removing the liner

Regards
Higgins

Old 08-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Z the pics are a big help.

This last pic makes me think the height of that hose is off due to the orientation of the coupler and rotation of the hose itself. That might have happened when previous owner did the tensioner work.

I would try to loosen that coupler and turn the outlet to point more horizontal instead of slightly up like it is now. Might get it down enough to clear the liner.

I found a pic that shows the hose routing that I think would be original. What do you think?

The following users liked this post:
zray (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Higgins
Hi,

I removed the liner completely last year, my car is a 2000 Xkr. No issues with paint on the hood so far, maybe different colors affects differently. Mine is platinum grey. Here in northern Europe summers are not very warm but this one has been the warmest ever recorded, temperature regularly around 30 degrees celcius. So I guess in my case at least hood paint was not affected by removing the liner

Regarads
Higgins
Higgins, thanks for the response and information. Although my hood could stand a repaint already due to slightly not matching the rest of the car, and also because it has two tiny dents put in it thanks to raccoons in the garage knocking a pet carrier off of a shelf..... grrrrr !!! ; I'm wanting to put off having it done and the prospect of peeling paint was a little worrisome. But as you say, it isn't happening to you, nor has happened to me on other cars that didn't even come with a hood liner, so here's hoping .

Just curious, what prompted you to remove the liner ?

Thanks Z the pics are a big help.

This last pic makes me think the height of that hose is off due to the orientation of the coupler and rotation of the hose itself. That might have happened when previous owner did the tensioner work.

I would try to loosen that coupler and turn the outlet to point more horizontal instead of slightly up like it is now. Might get it down enough to clear the liner.

I found a pic that shows the hose routing that I think would be original. What do you think?
Thanks for responding.

thats a good suggestion. However, the hose is already resting on the wiring and temp sensor under it at the area of contact. I've tried pushing it down slightly in that spot, but there's nowhere for it to move to, so the height of the hose is as low as it can go regardless of the hose orientation. Too bad, as a little downward movement would take care of things nicely.

​​​​​​​ Nevertheless, I think I'll investigate a possible orientation change to see if it matters

in the photo you provided it looks like someone has put a plastic ring around the spot where the rubbing / abrasions occur. Interesting !

Z

Last edited by zray; 08-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rothwell, I took your suggestion and loosened the hose fitting and rotated the hose on the passenger side intercooler hose connection so the T fitting area is level or slightly pointing downward.

Unable to tell initially what difference it will make, so I wrapped three circles of one inch masking tape about 1/2" apart along the area of hose / hood liner contact. If the masking tape abraded, then I still have a problem. If it doesn't abrade, then it's fixed and it goes without saying that you are genius.

Z

Last edited by zray; 08-18-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Misc. corrections
Old 08-18-2018, 03:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Zray,

The reason I removed the liner is because I changed the air intake tube between air filter box and throttle body to a less restrictive one from Mina Gallery. I then had issues with closing the hood, so I removed the liner to solve the issue. Just like you, I dont mind a little more noise. Infact the slight increased levels of noise is like music to my ears :-)

Regards
Higgins

zray (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rothwell, I took your suggestion and loosened the hose fitting and rotated the hose on the passenger side intercooler hose connection so the T fitting area is level or slightly pointing downward.

Unable to tell initially what difference it will make, so I wrapped three circles of one inch masking tape about 1/2" apart along the area of hose / hood liner contact. If the masking tape abraded, then I still have a problem. If it doesn't abrade, then it's fixed and it goes without saying that you are genius.
Z
From the looks of that hose it should not take long to see a result. Will be great if the solution is that simple.

You could probably get a rough measure of the gap by using a small piece of cardboard with double sided tape on top that will stick to the liner if it touches. If the liner does not pick it up then add another layer of cardboard till it does.

Best of luck!

Old 08-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

From the looks of that hose it should not take long to see a result. Will be great if the solution is that simple.

You could probably get a rough measure of the gap by using a small piece of cardboard with double sided tape on top that will stick to the liner if it touches. If the liner does not pick it up then add another layer of cardboard till it does.

Best of luck!
when I put Weber carbs on Mustangs and Shelby's I would rest some 1/8" plywood on top on the velocity stacks then place a one inch diameter ball of PlayDough modeling clay on the plywood at the center of each carb bore. Closing the hood gently then opening it would reveal how much hood clearance each of the carbs had.

Z

rothwell (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

is that really hose abrasion or material transfer? it looks like the hood blanket is melting and building up on the hose itself.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
is that really hose abrasion or material transfer? it looks like the hood blanket is melting and building up on the hose itself.

the hose is definately abrading. It has a flat spot over 3 inches long.

It's hard to tell if the hood liner is actually melting . I've looked at pretty closely and under some basic magnification and in my view it's melted in places.. The thread I referenced also mentioned melting.

Z

Old 08-18-2018, 05:30 PM

the hose is definately abrading. It has a flat spot over 3 inches long.

It's hard to tell if the hood liner is actually melting . I've looked at pretty closely and under some basic magnification and in my view it's melted in places.. The thread I referenced also mentioned melting.

Z
flat spots on hoses are usually not abrasion, but melting. i do not know the XKR that well. does this hose get hot in its normal use. if so, the issue could be that the hood blanket is not allowing heat to escape from it, instead building up at a contact or close proximity point. perhaps simply removing a small section of hood blanket above this hose is all that is necessary, make a frame for the removed section. perhaps the XKR was a post design addition to the XK8 and little things were not tested as thoroughly during the mock ups. more heat is dispersed by this motor than the XK8, hence the reason for the hood vents.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

All the fluid hoses going in and out of the intercooler get really hot, I don't have the exact numbers. The hose is definately abraded FLAT from the contact with the hood liner. No evidence of melted rubber hose on the liner or elsewhere. All of the posts on the thread referenced from 2010+ talk about their issues from hose abrasion too.

Many of them also fixed this issue by just cutting out the patch of the hood liner that was making contact. I'm not too enthusiastic about that. It may be extreme but I'd rather take off the liner than cut out a strip from the center of it. I'm keeping an eye on my test strips of masking tape. If they wear then I'll know my reorientation of the hose angle didn't do much.

Z

Old 08-18-2018, 08:10 PM

on my XK8 there is some rubbing on the plastic intake manifold, so it is a possibility. one day i might either upgrade to a better hood insulator or refinish the underside of the hood to make it look nice without. you might want to try something from this page as an option. the foil finish protectors also look very nice.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Fittings-Hose...01707/10002/-1

Broom (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake vent wore through from the blanket

I just replaced my intake. The blanket wore all the tops of the ridges off. I was thinking about using gasket maker to seal it but I wasn’t sure about it so I found one off a parts car.
i would like to sort the blanket out. It’s buffing the top of the engine cover. I figure it’s from the engine vibration rubbing against the hood blanket.
Anyone know a good way to take the sag out?
i have three ideas but not sure which is best.
  1. Use double sided tape underside of hood? Not sure if it would hold up or just start to sag shortly. Any idea of good tape?
  2. use some clips underside of hood. Not sure of anything that is available
  3. bend stiff wire and mount under blanket by the screws that hold the blanket up. But could caused more damage if engine is rubbing on the wire.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you notice a smell from the hood liner after engine heats up

I have the same problem of hood liner melting on engine. I think I can notice a slight smell of it. Kind of hoping that’s it unless brake pads or something more serious

Old 08-18-2019, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

My liner had zero sag, but still was hanging low enough to abraded the intercooler hoses in two spots.

Subsequent to my removing the hood liner, and after +20,000 miles, now past my 2nd. summer of +100 degree F weeks, Ive had no heat damage to the hood paint .

Z