XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Good grief! Why?

Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good grief! Why?

Hi guys. I’ve got a strange problem. I just replaced the plugs,wires, cap and rotor.The rotor had a heavy high tension burn and the car was running on 6 cylinders. After replacing the parts I started the car and was surprised to hear a loud knocking sound, kind of like a rod or stuck lifter. The car was very smooth and quiet before the rotor issue. I triple checked my wire placement and it seems good. I also checked my coil wires and all the low voltage wires in the valley which seem to be ok. I really don’t know where to go from here. I don’t want to let the engine run much as I’m not sure where the noise originates but I don’t know how to look for a noise problem without running the car.

Any ideas?

Old 08-16-2018, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default Make a vid

Make a video and share it on YouTube, google plus, Facebook etc so we can hear what you do.

The following users liked this post:
treborefir (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Is it possible your parts are defective? I'd imagine it is an aftermarket distro right. Might be one in ten thousand that are failed right out of the box.

treborefir (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 PM

Hi, I don’t think the parts are bad as the car starts right up and runs smooth...just the knocking noise issue. I sort of thought I had a wire crossed but that is not the case.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 PM

I was thinking that maybe the rotor could be installed backwards but I don’t think that is possible in the Marelli ignition system. It seems like a misfire is causing the plug to ignite when the piston is in the wrong phase.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

I recall a TSB at one time regarding a change to plug lead layout due to a cross fire issue or similar. Can you run your car for short period in dark place to see if you have an under bonnet/hood lightshow.

treborefir (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by treborefir
I was thinking that maybe the rotor could be installed backwards but I don’t think that is possible in the Marelli ignition system. It seems like a misfire is causing the plug to ignite when the piston is in the wrong phase.

Odd, I've only ever had something slightly similar once or twice, an incident which sounds similar was when I left a metal rod on top of the engine and it shorted something out while driving. If your certain the parts are good perhaps after consuming several drinks go back and look over every electrical connection? Jiggle them all while its running if necessary, thats how I narrowed down my marelli harness issue to a shitty wire that broke inside the plug that fits into one of the coils which caused another half-bank failure.

I'm sure your aware but if it runs on 6 cly only that is just asking for a fire to start, so plan accordingly if doing more tests with the engine on.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:58 PM

That’s a good thought ...I’ll give that a shot tomorrow.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 AM

Vancouver, I’ve checked the wire bundles pretty well but I will check the again tomorrow. I just have a feeling that it’s a freaking misfire. The engine was so smooth and quiet before all this happened. The 6 cyl running issue seems to be solved, now it’s just the knocking.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:51 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Can you bring it back to the way it was before you replaced the dizzy? Meaning can you replicate the engine behavior where you didn't hear the knocking sound when it was running only on six cylinders? Pull the plug wire either from the dizzy or the plug itself of one of the six cylinders that came alive with the new dizzy and see if the knocking goes away. The addition of the other cylinders may have introduced firing on a bad cylinder on that bank. There are explosions in a working cylinder. If you can remove the ignition from that one particular cylinder, you may be able to silence a problem with that cylinder, rod bearing etc. Once you introduce proper firing as you did by fixing the dizzy, the working cylinder now brings out the sound of a possible worn piston/rod problem. Remove the ignition of that cylinder and the engine will just carry the bad rod which you shouldn't and didn't hear before. With the plug wire removed, the engine will run on11 cylinders but the knock may go away exposing the bad noisy cylinder. Then you'll know the extra ignition explosions have accentuated the sound of the wear play of worn parts of that cylinder...if that is what it is.
Hope you get what I mean

treborefir (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

So long as the dissy is not modified it is not possible to install the rotor backwards.

When you replaced all the plug leads on the dissy did you follow the numbering on the cap or in the book? the Lucas and Marelli have the wires in different places on the cap.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
treborefir (08-17-2018), v1rok (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM

The cap is marked with where the wires belong. Just to confirm the “A‘ bank is the one on the left looking from the front end, correct?

Old 08-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
treborefir (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 12:16 PM

Very nice! Thanks

One thing I noticed on the Marelli was the Number 1a wire post is 90 degrees from the front and pointing to the A bank. If this is correct I think my problem is I have my cap configured to look like the Lucas cap with 1a pointing to the front. What do you think?

Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Just to confirm the “A‘ bank is the one on the left looking from the front end, correct?
Yes, A is UK driver's side.

treborefir (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

If you treat the cap as a clock face with 12 o clock pointing toward the front, 1A (right front) is at about 12:30 and 1B is just to it's left at 11:30. In the photo below, front of the car is to the right.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Norri (08-17-2018), treborefir (08-17-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:10 PM

Hi again,
Well, I’ve still got the same issue. I’ve rechecked everything and the tune up looks ok. I’m attaching a quick video with the noise I’m hearing. The noise was not present before the issue with the rotor. I’ve done lots of tune ups in the past and feel competent to change out what I did. To me, the noise sounds like a hydraulic lifter not pumping up but, of course, that’s not the case here.

Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like a rotational noise, but not necessarily internal to the engine. You probably already have.....
checked all rotating pulleys, belts fans etc. up front, as well as shielding on torque converter. Just hoping for you.

Last edited by Fla Steve; 08-26-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely sounds mechanical to me. I don't like the idea that it was running on 6 cylinders before, I wonder if the catalytic converter has melted? It might be worth lifting the cap and having a look, maybe the rotor is making contact with the terminals?

Can you tell approximately where the sound is coming from? I know it's a pain, but it might be worth doing a compression test.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Treborefir

I don't want to send you down the wrong track but since you've tried everything else

When you were replacing the Rotor etc, could there have been a possibility that you 'may' have accidentally turned the engine in the wrong direction and either broken or upset the Timing Chain Tensioner

Very easy to do as I've done it myself and got a very similar sort of ticking noise but 'The Jaguar Gods' were on my side and I got away with it and the noise went away

Maybe worth undoing the Oil Filler Cap to see if the Chain has gone loose

Only a bit of a long shot but you never know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good grief! Why?