XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its 2018 Its Time To Modernize And Upgrade Your XK With LED DRL Headlights

Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow Its 2018 its time to modernize your xk with led drl headlights

I think this simple upgrade makes a huge difference. What does the forum think ?

Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Banned

Ring sizes are 70mm and 100mm

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (08-22-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 936 Posts

I'll admit it up front, i'm prejudice against modernizing looks or engineering on a car that has been somewhat antiquated by the passage of a few years. I prefer to appreciate a car for what is from the factory, rather that what I can turn it into.

....... note, It's taken me 51 years as a driver to own a car made after 1969. Probably the only reason I have a car as modern as an '02 XKR is that my clutch leg has crapped out, and my back has about had it too. And I needed a daily driver that was more cushy than my '66 GT-350's.

So with that revealed, and with all due respect, it's should be no surprise that I don't care for the LED ring look.

Not to worry, as I'm probably in the minority.

Z

Orthodixie (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I like the look, but I wonder what the light pattern on the road is. I converted my 2007 Ford Freestyle SUV from halogen to LED headlights and found that while the light was noticeably brighter for a relatively short distance in front of the car, the halogen bulbs projected light further down the road. I was told that this is due to the configuration of the headlight reflectors which were designed for halogen bulbs, and that I would not be able to get equivalent coverage with LED's. What has your experience been?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Interesting, please elaborate on:
  • Sources
  • Price
  • Installation
  • Wiring (will it work on cars not programmed for DRL's?)
Many thanks

Old 08-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
I think this simple upgrade makes a huge difference. What does the forum think ?

Nice work.

I'd like to see pics/details of the process you went through to get to that result.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb JagXKRtoofast Whoo Slow down!

I still think it makes it look like a "Bimmer"! I would rather see the Fog Lights be used as DTRL's as it seems they can be programmed to Canadian specs at you favorite Jaguar Dealer.....or.....if you have a 2005 or 2006 use the Phillips DTRL's like I did...…They are Automatic...Bright during the Daytime and Dim at Night. They come on when you hit the Key-Fob to open the Door and turn off when you Click-it to lock-up!

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - ebony/Ivory - with Phillips DTRL

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 08-19-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added something.................
Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bcprice36
I still think it makes it look like a "Bimmer"! I would rather see the Fog Lights be used as DTRL's as it seems they can be programmed to Canadian specs at you favorite Jaguar Dealer.....or.....if you have a 2005 or 2006 use the Phillips DTRL's like I did...…They are Automatic...Bright during the Daytime and Dim at Night. They come on when you hit the Key-Fob to open the Door and turn off when you Click-it to lock-up!

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - ebony/Ivory - with Phillips DTRL

Billy Clyde in Houston

I don't think it looks like bimmer look for the simple fact is bimmer outer rings are larger then the inner rings and the newer ones are around the same size.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rothwell
Nice work.

I'd like to see pics/details of the process you went through to get to that result.
Its actually simple. You can purchase some LED Halo ring size 70mm or 100mm they shouldn't cost no more than $30-$150 depending on the quality rings you want. Then for installation I had it professionally done. Far as I know for wiring you can set them to DRL when you put your key in the ignition. In other words the rings are wired directly to a 12v accessory source. I recommend DRL mode. The process is simple if the lenses pop right out and thats where you install the rings which are held with adhesive and tape then route the wiring out to the 12v accessory source. If you get it professionally done price can be anywhere from $300-$600 depending on where you located because the bumper must be removed. Additionally you can send you headlights to a shop and they can install the rings for you and send them back for you to install which maybe less. But this is by far one of the most modernizing mod you can do for your XK. If you want to turn heads this I recommend.

CorStevens (08-22-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 AM
Received 4,171 Likes on 3,636 Posts

I've merged your 2 threads on the same topic into a single thread

zray (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,335 Likes on 721 Posts

I have never been a fan of DRLs at all, even when the cars come that way straight from the factory.

However, what I do wonder is about swapping the HIDs for LED bulbs? The LED bulbs my mom's Mini came with light up amazingly. Easily 15 times brighter than the aging HIDs on the Jag.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 PM
Banned

They make a huge difference looks like 2018 modern

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb He can see again!

glandanielxk8,

Why not try replacing the Bulbs and Ballast in your HID Low Beam Lights and then replace your High Beams with an LED Kit....then adjust the Headlight up a little....You'll be one Happy Puerto Rican when you drive your XK8 at Night!!

Billy Clyde

Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 730 Posts

glandanielxk8,

Why not try replacing the Bulbs and Ballast in your HID Low Beam Lights and then replace your High Beams with an LED Kit....then adjust the Headlight up a little....You'll be one Happy Puerto Rican when you drive your XK8 at Night!!

Billy Clyde
The guy coming the other way might not agree

Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Banned
Arrow

You do not want to trade your HID xenons for LED kit bulbs. The projector was designed specifically for HID. The output of the LED bulbs are not as bright as traditional LED headlights that were designed to be full LED. Now if you have halogen headlights then you can switch to LED bulbs because they do make a difference in output. But the best overall look is installing these LED DRL halo rings which are very bright so bright you can drive at night like there headlights. Furthermore you get the best all around lighting output.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

glandanielxk8,

Billy Clyde
You do not want to trade your HID xenons for LED kit bulbs. The projector was designed specifically for HID. The output of the LED bulbs are not as bright as traditional LED headlights that were designed to be full LED. Now if you have halogen headlights then you can switch to LED bulbs because they do make a difference in output. But the best overall look is installing these LED DRL halo rings which are very bright so bright you can drive at night like there headlights. Furthermore you get the best all around lighting output.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Question Baxtor & Jagxkrtoofast the Headlight Men!!!

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
Baxtor,,,First of all, I didn't raise to Head Lights that far...only enough to make up for the normal Front-end drop that happens over the years.....Also, I always Dim to on-coming Traffic.....not like some Guys?
Jagxkr2fast.....I didn't replace my Low Beams with LED's, I changed out the HID Bulbs and Ballast with new one's and then replaced the poor old "High Beams" with an LED Kit.....Makes all the difference in the World while driving at Night..... and I still don't like those "Bimmer" lights...

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought the XK8 because of what it looked like. I will work to maintain it the way it was built. However, it is your car and you should do what you want to do with it and ignore comments(including mine<g>).

Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 AM
Banned

Baxtor,,,First of all, I didn't raise to Head Lights that far...only enough to make up for the normal Front-end drop that happens over the years.....Also, I always Dim to on-coming Traffic.....not like some Guys?
Jagxkr2fast.....I didn't replace my Low Beams with LED's, I changed out the HID Bulbs and Ballast with new one's and then replaced the poor old "High Beams" with an LED Kit.....Makes all the difference in the World while driving at Night..... and I still don't like those "Bimmer" lights...

Billy Clyde in Houston

I would like to check out the output difference in a HID projector. It doesn't look like Bimmer halos for the simple fact is bummer outer rings are larger then the inner rings and the newer ones are around the same size. In person this is one of the best mods you can do.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by max224
I like the look, but I wonder what the light pattern on the road is. I converted my 2007 Ford Freestyle SUV from halogen to LED headlights and found that while the light was noticeably brighter for a relatively short distance in front of the car, the halogen bulbs projected light further down the road. I was told that this is due to the configuration of the headlight reflectors which were designed for halogen bulbs, and that I would not be able to get equivalent coverage with LED's. What has your experience been?

These just act as Daytime Running Lights. The low beams and high beams still function as is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Its 2018 Its Time To Modernize And Upgrade Your XK With LED DRL Headlights