F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires soon... Pzero's are garbage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New tires soon... Pzero's are garbage?

I've heard many people repeat that the P-Zero tires the car comes with are garbage.. but would like to hear more about WHY they are garbage. Aside from the rear tires being almost gone at 13k miles, I've not been dissatisfied with them. What does the Michelin Pilot 4S do better than the P-Zero? What about other tire options, like a Continental Extreme Contact DWS?

I am daily-driving the car except for when it snows or is icy, which is pretty rare where I'm at. Although it would be fun to drive it even when it snows if I have decent tires...!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I personally find them very loud. And over last weekend I drove over less than perfect highways where there were some divots in the road. I found those tires to make the car very "squirrely". Granted, mine were over inflated by the dealer. On the way back, after adjustment, the noise was a bit less, but still too loud.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
I personally find them very loud. And over last weekend I drove over less than perfect highways where there were some divots in the road. I found those tires to make the car very "squirrely". Granted, mine were over inflated by the dealer. On the way back, after adjustment, the noise was a bit less, but still too loud.
The PZeros on my car are new, noisy and hard-riding. Can't stand them (historically this is my assessment of Pirellis in general). This week I am having a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires put on along with a wheel alignment (although there is no sign of any problem with the alignment). I will report but my history with Michelins has been unqualifiedly excellent:smooth, quiet, long-lasting. I am hoping the MPS 4S will prove to be the same on this adictively wonderful car.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I had the P zeros on mine until I changed to bigger wheels and got michelins. Personally I had no issues and racked up about 20,000km on them. There is still heaps of meat left on them. I have done about 1000km on the Michelins and I cant really say whether they are better or worse lile for like because they came on 21 inch wheels when the P zeros were on 19"s, and the new wheels are heaps lighter than the old. I would say though that the ride on the 21"s is really good - bumps are a little more noticeable than they were on 19"s but barely moreso. I'd imagine that is due to the better tyres. Handling wise I thought the P zeros were really good, I could throw the car around plenty and the steering was dead on, whereas the back end could flick around a bit which I dont mind at all.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211

The PZeros on my car are new, noisy and hard-riding. Can't stand them (historically this is my assessment of Pirellis in general). This week I am having a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires put on along with a wheel alignment (although there is no sign of any problem with the alignment). I will report but my history with Michelins has been unqualifiedly excellent:smooth, quiet, long-lasting. I am hoping the MPS 4S will prove to be the same on this adictively wonderful car.
I pretty much agree with your assessment. On top of it, I think my car is wearing them unequally on the rear. I posted another thread on it. I will be going to the MPS 4S as well.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
...whereas the back end could flick around a bit which I dont mind at all.
There's a reason I don't have much tread left now...

Anyway, I guess that was part of my concern - if the MP4S are actually MORE grippy, I'm probably not interested, but if they fix other problems, I'd like to know. So far, it sounds like loudness is the overall complaint, and I'd have to say that I'd agree - the tires aren't exactly quiet.

Keep the comments coming folks, thanks for the feedback so far!

Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

For me it was all about traction during acceleration - the Michelins could handle significantly more power than the Pirelli's, they were in a whole other league, worlds apart I'd say.

As for other benefits, I did notice the Michelin's were smoother and quieter too, but I was going from 50% worn Pirelli's so its not a fair comparison.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I had two sets of Pzeros before I finally got the MP4s's. both sets of pzeros became very unstable after 12k miles. Grip after 10k started to slip badly. On spirited drives they would get unpredictable on corners. Slightest bit of moisture set the car off fairly easily even under light acceleration. Despite alignments and balance regularly wear was uneven. Noice increased every 2k worth of additional miles.

Michilins have been night night and day. Drive better, much grippier, predictable break away warning, sure footed even in heavy rain, and most importantly the car feels more planted. Has also become a piece of mind thing. If your daily driving it the wear on them should be much much longer. Now the Continentals have had some good reviews. rickyJay on the forum has been running them in the all season version for years and loves them.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
There's a reason I don't have much tread left now...

Anyway, I guess that was part of my concern - if the MP4S are actually MORE grippy, I'm probably not interested, but if they fix other problems, I'd like to know. So far, it sounds like loudness is the overall complaint, and I'd have to say that I'd agree - the tires aren't exactly quiet.

Keep the comments coming folks, thanks for the feedback so far!
The primary reason the Michelin’s are superior is that they do offer more grip. In addition to that, they are much more predictable at the edge of traction. You know when they’re at the limit before they let loose, where the Pirellis will lose traction without warning.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Approx -

Since you are also here in Oregon, apparently the 4s tires are much better in the wet. That is, if you venture out into the cold Oregon rain.

I treat my car pretty well, baby it, but I agree - the rare burn off sure is fun. I discovered how to enjoy a certain kind with the P-Zeros and my RWD R the other day and it really created a huge smile.

Disengage traction control ... head up Taylors Ferry Road at about 20-25mph and then lay into it full throttle in sport mode. I mean wowza! So much fricking fun. Hanging on for dear life like you are riding a very angry bronco.

This is why this is the perfect car for me. Pure excitement and fun. I love watching videos about Supercars like the McClaren and all that they can do speed wise, but what will that do for me except extract my license? Pretty sure 150+mph down an empty night highway is a crap shoot.

No crazy sounds, no drama. The analogy would be enjoying riding a loud Harley or a super crotch rocket. The Harley isn't as fast, but who cares. It is just FUN.

I really do want to go to the Michelins because the RWD R in the wet/cold is really a dangerous ride. It wants to kill me, and it means it.

Charmed life.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 09-11-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (09-16-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

There have been a number of threads about the superior grip of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S compared to Pirelli's P Zeros, many owners including myself replaced P Zeros with P4S on the basis of recommendation of forum members..

I haven't read any posts from owners who expressed regret at fitting P4S to their F type

Old 09-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

Hey I'm in Oregon as well, but in a much sunnier area but the car sits out the snow. Hated the Pirellis Love the 4Ss. Change was like night and day. Wasn't a fan of the Continentals on my AMG either replaced them with those racing Dunlap tires they were burning out for $100 a tire. Likely scary when wet (I have snow tires for that car) but in the dry they stick impressively well.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Im running the Continental Extreme Contact Sports and love them. Way better than the P Zeros for noise and grip.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by CW3SF
Im running the Continental Extreme Contact Sports and love them. Way better than the P Zeros for noise and grip.
Do you find that there is excessive road noise, especially from the rear tires? My F came with SportContact 2 Continentals and the road noise from the rears is very annoying, to the point I'm thinking of installing some sound dampening material or something.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I recently went with a fresh set of Michelin PS4S and the difference is night/day. I wouldn't run any other tire on a performance car. It rides better, it's quieter and far more glued to the road. Money well spent. The Pirelli's hard compound made it seem as though I was driving on an ice rink with wagon wheels.

bikerberta (09-21-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

New michelin p4s here too, put them last week, oh what a difference, but I was expecting it, had pss previously on my RS5 and E92 M3.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Do you find that there is excessive road noise, especially from the rear tires? My F came with SportContact 2 Continentals and the road noise from the rears is very annoying, to the point I'm thinking of installing some sound dampening material or something.
I haven’t noticed any excessive noise at all. To the contrary, the road noise is significantly better than with the PZeros.

Last edited by CW3SF; 09-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My P-zeros, like many people above, just felt very slick compared to the Dunlops.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:05 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I am on my second F-Type with P-Zero's and fully understand where the ZERO came from. They have zero rear grip, especially on the R, and zero ride quality. The only place that the zero doesn't apply is noise - they have plenty of that. I used Pilot SS's on my last two Corvette's, my SLK55 AMG and Z4 M Sport, and they were great. From what I read, the new Pilot Sport 4S's are even better. Unfortunately, my first F-Type S had brand new P-Zeros and I'm too cheap to throw away $1400 worth of tires, so I suffered with them for over a year. The R, with 16K miles has well worn Zeros and will be replaced with Michelins within two weeks.

BTW, someone asked about the Extreme Contacts. I read on Tire Rack that these tires were the reason Michelin replaced the SS's with the new 4S's. They must be pretty good if they forced Michelin to design a new tire.

Burt Gummer (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Costco had a sale through Sunday on Michelins w/ free install and a couple promos so I decided to order the 4s tires finally.

Someone's comment about driving an expensive car on crap tires finally got to me. My fronts have some deep gouges and those have bothered me especially in the 100mph+ spirited drives (in Mexico, on a track of course).

I showed my friend how I had rubber cemented the front fires to fill in the missing chunks and now he wont ride in the F-Type with me. Pansy.

Quick Reply: New tires soon... Pzero's are garbage?