XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery

Ok...I have a 2003 Jag XJ8. I took it to a upholstery shop and they removed the front seats. Redone both seats. I pick it up and runs fine. BUT if I leave it sit over night the battery goes down...have to jump start. I can drive it all day....restarts fine...sits over night and dead...any ideas what might be wrong or what to try. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Two things, off the top of my head: first, they unhooked the battery -- need to tighten the cables; two, they have frayed and grounded a wire going to one of the seat modules while doing the upholstery. Lots of threads on how to find the right fuse or relay effecting the seat systems - run a meter to determine if it is live when the ignition is off.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Two things, off the top of my head: first, they unhooked the battery -- need to tighten the cables; two, they have frayed and grounded a wire going to one of the seat modules while doing the upholstery. Lots of threads on how to find the right fuse or relay effecting the seat systems - run a meter to determine if it is live when the ignition is off.
can I unplug the seat to determine if thats it? Just to narrow it down.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

I think so; Or maybe pull the appropriate fuze. But maybe one of the folks better at electrical issues will weigh in.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
I think so; Or maybe pull the appropriate fuze. But maybe one of the folks better at electrical issues will weigh in.
im hoping...cause I can fix anything if told how to do it...its just electrical isn't my forte....

Old 10-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The problem is caused by a parasitic drain. Most likely a wire was damaged during the removal or re-installation of the seat. Try looking around under the seat and see if any wires are pinched int he seat rails. Next check the seat functions. Does it work in all directions? Lastly set the drivers seat in to the normal driving position and from under the seat remove the seat control module. Did that clear it? If not re-connect the drivers side and do the passenger seat. This should isolate it to one seat or the other. If that doesn't resolve it then follow the link below for the easiest way of finding a parasitic drain. Go to post 10 for the video instructions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estate-193954/

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
The problem is caused by a parasitic drain. Most likely a wire was damaged during the removal or re-installation of the seat. Try looking around under the seat and see if any wires are pinched int he seat rails. Next check the seat functions. Does it work in all directions? Lastly set the drivers seat in to the normal driving position and from under the seat remove the seat control module. Did that clear it? If not re-connect the drivers side and do the passenger seat. This should isolate it to one seat or the other. If that doesn't resolve it then follow the link below for the easiest way of finding a parasitic drain. Go to post 10 for the video instructions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estate-193954/
I pulled the negative cable off and hooked up a test light....light is bright as heck....how long should I have a drain...waiting for everyrhing to shut down....like modules and such?

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2018, 02:30 PM

I have pulled every fuse in trunk...test light still on....I have pulled every fuse in back seat near your ankles...I have pulled every fuse in the 2 fuse panels under hood...test light still on..any idea if more fuse panels?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Pulling fuse want help find the culprit. Take a look at my previous post for your troubleshooting. It is the most direct way to find the problem. If you are shorted to grouund it will always show on the test light. The vehicle will not power down with door, trunk, hood or glove box open. It will power down after a few minutes with everything closed up but as soon as you open anything it springs back to life.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Pulling fuse want help find the culprit. Take a look at my previous post for your troubleshooting. It is the most direct way to find the problem. If you are shorted to grouund it will always show on the test light. The vehicle will not power down with door, trunk, hood or glove box open. It will power down after a few minutes with everything closed up but as soon as you open anything it springs back to life.
ok...sounds like a plan...I will post after I try this. Thanks for info.