Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why reviews are untrustworthy

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts
Default Why reviews are untrustworthy

Having some time on my hands today, I browsed through some auto reviews of the F-Type and I learned some fascinating things -especially from US News...I learned that the F-Type is underpowered compared to its rivals (0 to 100 kms in less than 5 seconds seems fast enough to me but then, I really can't even use that speed safely anywhere); I guess the option of much more than 500 hp in the V8 version is not enough...does a Porsche have that much?), and I learned that it is cramped (but I am only 6 ft tall, so it hasn't been a problem for me); that apparently it holds only 2 people - I sure would like to be able to fit more people in a sports car; that it is uncomfortable, that it has no inflatable seat bolsters (I guess the ones in my car must be aftermarket units. But they look pretty authentic - they even are upholstered in the same Windsor leather and everything!), that the interior materials are cheap -I guess the full leather in mine doesn't look enough like the "Artico leather" - also known as vinyl - in the Mercedes; that it has no luggage space (my coupe must have had some body alterations because I have not yet had any problem at all in that regard either for trips or errands), that to change climate control settings you have to go through multiple steps on the touchscreen - my car must have an aftermarket system; it has really neat rotary/press controls - a snap to use! We should find out who designed this system and where to get it! And apparently you have to go through the same sort of touchscreen complication to adjust the various systems (my car has redundant direct-access buttons on the side of the screen to make things easy -those aftermarket suppliers are wonderful at fixing Jaguar's shortcomings!).
I wish I had known all these things before I bought my F-Type. I really wasn't aware of the deficiencies of Jaguars but then, I have been relying on my own experience of them over the last 25 years or so. I really should do more research before my next purchase because those articles, especially in Edmund's (I once read in Edmund's that the Jaguar S-Type had plastic woodgrain trim - and all along I thought it was real wood veneer. When I was at Browns Lane in 2003 and watched them preparing that trim...well, it sure looked like real wood veneer to me! I am so easy to fool) and in Consumer Reports...well, the articles seem to be written by people who really know what they are writing about.
Now that I know how bad my car is in comparison to its competitors, I am remembering what a woman told me a few months ago (after admiring my F-Type and asking what kind of car it was); she said that she had heard "that Jaguars break down for no reason in the middle of nowhere" ( that is a verbatim quote). I wish I had known that a BMW (such as she was driving) would be more reliable...and here I had been thinking that my own BMW (which came home on a tow truck more times than I can remember) was not as reliable as my Jaguars (none of which have ever left me stranded). It just proves that you should pay more attention to hearsay -you learn a lot!

Last edited by sov211; 12-06-2018 at 08:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Mulmur (12-07-2018), NBCat (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

lol, yes I havent seen much negativity in the f type reviews, but one that struck me was an XE review complaining about the "unfinished" gap under the centre stack which has like a rubber pad instead of shiny plastic, oh (said the reviewer) the benz is so much better. Except that the gap is perfect for smartphones, which dont slide around because of the rubber pad. Almost like they had designed it for that, eh?

Old 12-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

One thing that the Jaguar interior designers have completely wrong is that they think the touch screen should be smoothly and unobtrusively integrated into the console/fascia area. The Germans must have it right because they have the wannabe I-pad sticking right up out of the dash, front and centre, always ready to capture your attention. So, ok, it blocks your vision a bit and so, ok, it looks as though it should fold away somehow (but it doesn't)...but it is a German design (copied in the Mazda and other makes) so it must be superior, free of glitches, and just better. We'll just forget about the misery that is/was the i-drive system in the BMW. German cars have a reputation for excellent design and engineering, and just as with the perennial Jaguar reputation of unreliability so lovingly nourished by auto journalists and even some owners, facts don't matter.

(Full disclosure: I have owned both BMW and Mercedes; I quite like some of the BMW designs but it would be good if Mercedes could actually hire a competent designer...perhaps the one Porsche has used for the last 50 years or so...or is he too old now?)

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

German engineering used to be very good, but their designs are really, er, utilitarian. Audis all look like jelly moulds, obviously inspired by Dr Porsche.

Most negative Jaguar comments are related to decades-old experiences. Still, such beliefs make the Jaguar more exclusive!

One of the things I like about the F-Type is that they have gone back to real switches for most things - the heated steering wheel and seats on my XKR use to be really annoying as you couldn't turn them off with the satnav active without a lot of screen faffing.

Last edited by scm; 12-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Don1954 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I once read something that went like this: "the BMW M4 makes you feel like a German tax accountant cruising on the autobahn; the F-type makes you feel like Attila the Hun riding to battle on a wild horse". Other than that, journalists unfortunately seem unable to have enough independent thinking and confidence vis-a-vis their peers to crown any car that is not a BMW, Porsche or MB.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brock:
Don1954 (12-12-2018), NBCat (12-07-2018), scm (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The Japanese and the German cars are the darlings of the car "journalism" world. They can do no wrong. And even if they do, the so-called "journalists" make excuses for them.

scm (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes, the riposte “hope you bought a spare Jag so you have one to drive when the other is in the shop “ is SOOOOOO funny on the forums where few have actually owned one. And my first car was actually built by British Leyland ;-)

Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Unfortunately, ancient perceptions are slow to die and are repeatedly fed by misinformation and hearsay. The myth of 'German engineering' is perpetuated by the automotive journalists to the point they actually believe it themselves.

I've owned over twenty Jaguars, beginning with a 1963 Mk 2 and several from the British Leyland days, none of which ever left me stranded by the side of the road. More than I can say for the Audi A4 (B5) that was unreliable and fiddly to work on.

scm (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I do remember the F being no good as it has only two seats, and a Porsche 911 being so good as it has rear seats.
Well, If I wanted more seats, I'd bought a different kind of car to start with, so how can two seats only be a bad thing,
not to mention the Porsche rear seats are made for limbless people only...

Speaking of seats - I do not get the current seven-seater hype.
Serious, seven people in one car - canned sardines are better off...lol

Don1954 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Yes, the riposte “hope you bought a spare Jag so you have one to drive when the other is in the shop “ is SOOOOOO funny on the forums where few have actually owned one. And my first car was actually built by British Leyland ;-)

A pal of mine is a Porsche enthusiast and owns a nice 911. He used to tease me about my (according to him, ill-advised) love of Jaguars, what with them being so inferior and unreliable and all.

Twice he has called from the side of the side, conked out.....and twice I've pulled him home with my Jaguar.

I never towed him directly home, however. There's no in fun that. Instead I made it a point to parade him around town and through the neighborhood for and extra 20 minutes...... so the world could see the unimaginable

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Carbuff2 (12-07-2018), Don1954 (12-12-2018), scm (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
The myth of 'German engineering'
Indeed. There is nothing more scary than a BMW or Audi out of warranty....but stick an iPad to the dashboard in plain sight and you have to fight them off with sticks.

And I particularly liked this recent video for my BMW friends

Last edited by stmcknig; 12-07-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Indeed. There is nothing more scary than a BMW or Audi out of warranty....but stick an iPad to the dashboard in plain sight and you have to fight them off with sticks.
It is quite bizarre, isn't it? I have occasionally asked owners of the German cars if they considered a Jaguar before purchasing. Invariably the answer was negative, and accompanied by a comment about the unreliability of Jaguars. There are none so certain as those who have no experience of the thing/people/place in question.

Last year or perhaps two years ago I test-drove a new Audi A6. I was put off, first by the dash arrangement, then by the open-pore wood trim and finally by the knocking noise from the rear suspension - and this was a brand new demonstrator...For elegance/beauty, functionality, build quality, performance and reliability, my experience with Jaguars (32 of them) places them as equal to or superior to any of the rivals...but what do I know given that the auto journalists tell me that I am wrong. Strangely, they uniformly agree that the F-Type is the most beautiful and intoxicating machine on the road...and then they feel nervous and start to talk about perceived inadequacies (not theirs, of course).

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Doug (12-07-2018), NBCat (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I'll confess that there are a number of German models that I fancy. Perhaps I'll take the plunge one day.

To be quite honest one of the things that has kept me away from BMW and Audi is their utter lack of uniqueness. In my neck o' the woods, at least, you can't throw a rock without it ricocheting off of a half dozen of each. They're ubiquitous.

I sorta like being the oddball who drives a Jaguar

Cheers
DD

scm (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

I have an 06 str and the veneers are definitely wood because I accidentally broke a corner off and saw that it was wood...Edmonds are the same quacks that value my car at 3500 dollars...terrible company

Old 12-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scottjh9
I have an 06 str and the veneers are definitely wood because I accidentally broke a corner off and saw that it was wood...Edmonds are the same quacks that value my car at 3500 dollars...terrible company
Of course it's wood. In a Jaguar, if it looks like wood, it is wood (veneer on substrate, but not plastic).
Loved the video on the V10 BMW. What an over-complicated nightmare. And it still looks dowdy.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
One thing that the Jaguar interior designers have completely wrong is that they think the touch screen should be smoothly and unobtrusively integrated into the console/fascia area. The Germans must have it right because they have the wannabe I-pad sticking right up out of the dash, front and centre, always ready to capture your attention.
I hope this is sarcastic post, because these glued-on ipads is the worst current trend in automotive design.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Of course it's wood. In a Jaguar, if it looks like wood, it is wood (veneer on substrate, but not plastic).
Loved the video on the V10 BMW. What an over-complicated nightmare. And it still looks dowdy.
One of the things I like best is knowing the leather and wood in my car was the pick of the litter and it shows...12 years old going on 13 and the interior is still 98 to 99 percent...people always say wow, this looks new inside and also that they did not realize Jaguars are so elegant but sporty inside...I tell them they should see the new ones also

Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I hope this is sarcastic post, because these glued-on ipads is the worst current trend in automotive design.

Of course it's sarcastic (all of my postings in this thread are)...and sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, so sometimes it is misunderstood. Those excrescences on the top of the German dash are simply stupid -they are a design failure, they are distracting, they are ugly and they alone would prevent me from buying a particular car (yup! Just as some buy cars based on their infotainment technology, I buy them based on aesthetics and engineering).

Old 12-07-2018, 05:02 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

... sarcasm is the lowest form of humour ...
Only to those without the intelligence to understand it.

sov211 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:22 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Only to those without the intelligence to understand it.
I have a coffee cup reading "Sarcasm, the ability to insult idiots without them realizing"...

Quick Reply: Why reviews are untrustworthy