Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

So seems some members and on other groups members say that the Michelins are the tyre to have on, seems the Pirelli P Zeros are not great in some conditions especially in the cold and wet. They came as standard on my F Type , luckily no issues yet, Is there that big a difference in the two tyres, they look very similar in thread pattern although the P Zeros have more of cut grooves in the tyre treads. The first pic is the P Zero , pic2 the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
Pic1

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There is a big difference between Pzero and MP4S. Looking at thread pattern isn't meaningful, as modern tire performance characteristics are determined by rubber compounds used in different layers, internal construction and so on.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Noise and comfort much better on Michelins. We have Pirelli All Season Pzero on our Maserati and they are still hard and noisy, not as bad as summer but still typical!

Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts
Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The thing I've never completely understood is that the P-Zero has a much lower tread wear rating that the Michelin, which would indicate a softer tread compound, right? Just doesn't seem the MP-4S would be a stickier and therefore better handling tire. What am I missing here?

Old 12-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Would anyone have any idea why these aren't offered in 18"?

Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Would anyone have any idea why these aren't offered in 18"?
I would guess it is because the MPS4S are ultra high performance tyres aimed at manufacturers and owners of high end performance vehicles and almost all of those run 19" rims at a minimum, so just not a big enough market in the 18" size.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill W
The thing I've never completely understood is that the P-Zero has a much lower tread wear rating that the Michelin, which would indicate a softer tread compound, right? Just doesn't seem the MP-4S would be a stickier and therefore better handling tire. What am I missing here?
I'd guess that there is more than just softness of rubber in determining tread wear rating. Don't try to over thinking it. Words can barely describe how much better our cars drive on MP4S tires vs. the Pirelli's. For those of us with RWD and modified/performance upgrades, the Michelin's are almost mandatory. I have yet to think of a way the pirelli's were superior: from my experience noise, smoothness, cornering grip, traction during acceleration and braking, and performance at the limit of traction is all better with the Michelins.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I'd guess that there is more than just softness of rubber in determining tread wear rating. Don't try to over thinking it. Words can barely describe how much better our cars drive on MP4S tires vs. the Pirelli's. For those of us with RWD and modified/performance upgrades, the Michelin's are almost mandatory. I have yet to think of a way the pirelli's were superior: from my experience noise, smoothness, cornering grip, traction during acceleration and braking, and performance at the limit of traction is all better with the Michelins.
I look forward to getting a set once I burn off the p-Zeros.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I replaced the rear P4S at the same mileage I did the original P-Zeros, 15K miles. The difference was that the P-Zeros were down to the indicators and the P4S had plenty of tread left. If it weren't for getting a massive hole punched in on on Thursday I'd still be on them. I figured I'd have gotten another 5K out of them were it not for the foreign object damage.

I didn't notice a big difference in noise. The Michelins were a little quieter, but not dramatically so. Any difference I might have noted was probably just because I wanted there to be one. My hearing is shot. Traction on the other hand, is noticeably better.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a full set of Michelin PS put on tonight. I had BFG’s that came with the car. I’m in south Florida so can’t really speak to the cold weather aspect but noticed immediately leaving the tire shop the much quieter, smoother ride without even getting on the highway. Will test more tomorrow but very pleased with them so far.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I replaced my perfectly good (in terms of tread depth) PZeros with a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The Michelins are quieter, definitely smoother and yes, they have more grip but I have not had a chance to really test them properly. Wet performance? There are some people that actually drive their Jags in the rain?
My experience with Pirellis on Jaguars (and I assume that the experience would be the same on any car) is that when about half worn the tire becomes octagonal in shape, noisy (noisier) and generally unpleasant. I have always replaced them with Michelins for the same reason as I did so on my F-Type: because the Michelins are easier to balance, are smoother, quieter and remain round throughout their tread life. Seriously. But 20 inch Michelins for these cars are costly (and I just can't bring myself to shop at Costco...).

Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

When I replaced the Zero's at 18K with PS4S's, I still had Plenty of tread on the rear [Second set] and medium tread on the fronts. I suffered through 10K miles with the Zero's on my S and simply was not going to do so with the R. I noticed a definite improvement in traction at the rear immediately even though the Michelins hadn't been scuffed in.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 502 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
(and I just can't bring myself to shop at Costco...).

I understand that more than a few owners get their Jag tires/tyres at Costco!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2

I understand that more than a few owners get their Jag tires/tyres at Costco!
+1. I would certainly be more likely to trust Costco than either a dealer or a tire service franchisee. I do , however, trust my local performance tire shop.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I would certainly be more likely to trust Costco than either a dealer or a tire service franchisee. I do , however, trust my local performance tire shop.
The Michelins were ordered through my Jaguar dealer, delivered, mounted and Force-balanced at the same dealership. The price was the same as the quote I got from my usual tire shop, and the balancing was perfectly done (smooth as silk at highways speeds -which I will not specify in print), the wheels were unmarked in the process and the lug nuts torqued to the correct Jaguar specification. I have more confidence in my dealer than in the people who more frequently fit tires to suburban SUVs...

Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The Michelins were ordered through my Jaguar dealer, delivered, mounted and Force-balanced at the same dealership. The price was the same as the quote I got from my usual tire shop, and the balancing was perfectly done (smooth as silk at highways speeds -which I will not specify in print), the wheels were unmarked in the process and the lug nuts torqued to the correct Jaguar specification.
But, most importantly, were the wheel center badges correctly aligned?

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
But, most importantly, were the wheel center badges correctly aligned?
Last time I had the tires changed, they were all aligned properly at the shop. By the time I got home they were all wrong again. The proprietor was not sympathetic when I complained. This must be a manufacturer’s defect. Time for a new set of wheels.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-11-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Michelin PS4 are probably the best tires out there for any road legal car for regular and real driving.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, until I made a turn. I should have known that these cars were unreliable. I'll bet this never happens on a Mercedes.*

*The last bit is an attempt, a feeble attempt at humour.

Last edited by sov211; 12-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S