F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 base active exhaust swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 base active exhaust swap Questions

I have a 2014 F-Type base model without active exhaust. No valves, nothing (I checked). I feel like I知 missing out on half the fun of owning this car. I知 looking at sourcing a used active exhaust and swapping it out. I can get an exhaust for less than $600. I wouldn稚 bother with vacuume lines or solenoid, pump etc. just the exhaust to save cost/complexity. I assume the valves will be open all the time this way. Can anyone tell me if this will work? Pros/cons? Highway drone?

Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

SUBSCRIBED... because I am just curious. Or, a wannabee troublemaker...my neighborhood is TOO quiet. HehHeh.

From the HOW TO & GUIDES sticky, a description (and pictures) of the exhaust components.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wgv3e86yc...haust.pdf?dl=0

Old 12-11-2018, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

The active exhaust makes the exhaust quieter when valves are closed, not louder when valves are open. People have a misconception that it's some kind of exhaust noise booster.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by andytrantham
I have a 2014 F-Type base model without active exhaust. No valves, nothing (I checked). I feel like I知 missing out on half the fun of owning this car. I知 looking at sourcing a used active exhaust and swapping it out. I can get an exhaust for less than $600. I wouldn稚 bother with vacuume lines or solenoid, pump etc. just the exhaust to save cost/complexity. I assume the valves will be open all the time this way. Can anyone tell me if this will work? Pros/cons? Highway drone?
If you want a bit more drama, you can select from one of the mufflers that VelocityAP offers. More sound without it getting raspy.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the exhaust advice. I have a 2014 base model and it just seems really quiet. I have a convertible and ride with top down 99% of the time. Just doesn稚 seem nearly as loud or with the over run of all the other F-types around here that I hear. I get no crackle pop ever really. Even when driving aggressively. Car just went in for service and it runs perfectly otherwise. I bought it used a few months ago.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I run with fuse F43 pulled, so my active exhaust valves are open 100% of the time. It does drone at highway speeds. No issue if the top is down, but for extended top-up highway cruises, the fuse goes back in.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM

I understand how the active exhaust works. I understand that the button is really more of a "quiet" button vs "loud" button. I've read through all the posts and jaguar documentation. on a stock base 2014 without active exhaust there are no J pipes with valves going into the muffler. I know in later years the valves and J-pipe were standard even if the active exhaust button/option wasn't there. I have to wonder it that affects the exhaust notes on those earlier base model vehicles? would switching to an active muffler with the J-pipes give me the sound it seems like most stock F-types have?

when I watch youtube videos with stock active exhaust my car sounds nothing like that. It's not particularly loud or throaty on start-up. The only way I can get any nice overrun is put it in manual run the revs up and take foot off the accelerator. I might get 1 or 2 crackles if I try really hard. usually when I do it I get nothing. and only in second gear. Either there's something wrong, a previous owner neutered it somehow or I just have a really quiet muffler/exhaust/car for some reason. I guess that's why I posted the original question. I guess I really need to do a side by side comparison or take it back to the dealer and have them check it out first before swapping anything out.

Last edited by andytrantham; 12-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Various versions of the K309 TSB, which recalibrates the O2 sensor system, have been reported to seriously reduce exhaust sounds.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM

hmmm, wow thanks! OK now something like that would make a lot of sense. Just researched it really quickly. so if I understand it correctly a software update made the car lose some nice exhaust sounds. updating to the latest software corrects the issue is that correct? So it's possible I have the "old" update and just need the latest software to regain exhaust note. Calling dealer now to check on this.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Not everyone has gotten their sound back from the latest update, but I think some have. I have K309b, I think, and never had an issue.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
The active exhaust makes the exhaust quieter when valves are closed, not louder when valves are open. People have a misconception that it's some kind of exhaust noise booster.
Isn't it more of a toggle? If you're in dymanic [sic] then the switch turns the loud off, but if you're not, the switch opens the valves?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM

I think the intricacies of how it works has been fully explained in many posts here. Basically, for cars with the user selectable active exhaust button the user can manually close valves. For those without the user selectable button and active exhaust (still with valves) the valves automatically open and close depending on various engine parameters to regulate sound/back pressure etc. This means all F-types with active exhaust are some variation of "loud" and for those with the button they can manually close the valves and quiet things down. This is a very elementary explanation.

My question was related to a 2014 base model without active exhaust (NO VALVES) at all. The exhaust goes straight into the muffler with 2 pipes vs. cars with active exhaust that have 2 pipes plus a J pipe with valves entering the muffler. I don't think there were many optioned this way (I could be wrong) since the active exhaust became standard on all models starting in 2015 or 2016 (I can't remember).

What hasn't been discussed here that I can find is the difference in sound between a base model without active exhaust at all (no valves) and one with it.

My car is very quiet in comparison to other vehicles. I think the software update mentioned above may be the culprit. I purchased it used so it's possible the older update was done which caused many owners to lose exhaust sounds and I just need to update to the latest.

Last edited by andytrantham; 12-11-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Just found out from dealer the software was done November 2015. That was less than a month after the service action K309 came out. Dealer said no open service items on the vehicle. How can I tell what ECM software the car is running? Dealer isn't being super helpful.

apparently the K309B came out in mid 2016... does anyone know if it affects base model vehicles?

Last edited by andytrantham; 12-11-2018 at 04:04 PM.