S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droopy Headlights - How To Fix Them To Factory Condition "HOW TO"

Old 01-31-2019, 07:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Droopy Headlights - How To Fix Them To Factory Condition "HOW TO"

Hi All,
I recently went through the pain of having to repair the Droopy Headlight problem on my X201.5 3.0L SE S Type - aka Black Bess. Initially I considered following Brutals method but discounted this because I'm a bit of a purist and baulked at taking a drill to the headlight lens and permanently losing the self levelling function. I also wanted to replace the existing Xenon bulbs as, in my opinion, the old ones were not performing as well as I would like. As many of you will already know, I hope, replacing the Dipped Beam Xenon headlight bulbs is a genuinely impossible task - theres no room between the rear of the lamp body and the front sub-frame to get the igniter and bulb out. Even if you could get it out you would never be able to get the new bulb back in because the power supply wire automatically pops off the igniter when it is removed and there is definitely no room to put it back without the rear of the lamp being fully accessible.

Sadly, to do this job properly the front bumper has to come off, as does the front splash guard and the forward sections of the wheel arch splash guards must also be freed from the sub-frame and the bumper. On balance the job is not complex and the only tools needed are a torx head driver for 6mm bolts, a 10mm socket, a 30cm socket wrench extension bar and a pair of snipe nose pliers. To these, unfortunately, I also had to add a hacksaw and a small angle grinder - you may need these too depending on how old the car is and the local weather conditions.

Having taken the pain, and been pleased with the final results, I decided to document the process as an aid for others who may be facing the same Droopy Headlight problem or who need to replace the bulb or make some other repair. I've also found that other models in the Jaguar range present similar challenges and the method I've described has been helpful to them. So, if you want to get your headlights back to factory condition down load a copy of the attached document.

Cheers,
Cubist

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by cubist:
aholbro1 (05-22-2019), kr98664 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Just a couple of things? Thanks for the repair but we have several in depth threads with pictures already. Maybe add yours to one of those threads?

First Brutal's repair does NOT get rid of the self leveling. That's what's so great about it. There is nothing changed except the drooping headlight!
Also there are several failure modes and Brutal's repair can't fix them all. With the age of all of the S Types the plastic in these headlights will be all junk at this point. Once the ball breaks off inside the socket inside the headlight then you usually need to open them up for repair.

I have changed the high beam bulbs several times without dropping the bumper. Tight but doable. Removing the bumper is very simple and not hard either. I have never had a HID bulb go out but after 10 years my factory bulbs were declining. I used Phillips replacement bulbs and had noticeably brighter HID's. Note the S Type ONLY has HID's on the low beams and your high beams are conventional bulbs.

Be sure an mention you want the metal adjusters from the guy in Poland on Ebay. Note that the Chinese ones still have a plastic ball and you don't want that!
Looks like they have a US dealer now.
But you want them to look like this;

Also one difference that is not very well known.
If you have an STR they have a black interior inside the headlight instead of chrome for all other models. So if looking for STR headlights you need a black one and they are hard to find!

If power is removed while the headlight is powered up you will lose the start up headlight sweep. This can be restored at the dealer and of course you can live without it too. Jaguar does NOT mention this anywhere I could find. I hit a deer in my old 2005 STR at night so the headlights were on and the body shop spent 3 days messing with it before they gave up and took it to the dealer. So it looks like you need the SDD to reset this.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
aholbro1 (05-22-2019), Brutal (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Yes... except the bumper can be HARD to get off here (*) as every fastener will be rusted up

Also, the headlamp powerwash is awkward (and will be fitted as it's legally mandated here).

In terms of easier long term I wish they'd just fitted halogens especially as there are brighter ones available.

(*) UK/Europe - maybe also Scandinavia

Old 02-01-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi there Clubairth1,

By way of reply to some of your comments: -
  1. Before starting my thread I did check the Sticky 'How to Guides' but did not find anything that addressed the Droopy Headlight problem other than Brutals approach. My apologies for not searching elsewhere on the site but I had thought that, given how common this problem is, a more comprehensive and factory level fix would appeal to some members and may therefore merit addition to the How to Guides. Have these fallen into disuse?
  2. My apologies also for my poor choice of words concerning Brutals fix. I should have said that his method defeats the self levelling function by using a bolt to push the reflector assembly back to more or less horizontal. However, if a heavy load is placed in the trunk/boot of the car the headlight beams will not be properly aligned to the road unless one adjusts the bolt to compensate.
  3. I agree that it is perfectly possible to replace the High Beam, Sidelight and Indicator bulbs without removing any of the body panels. However, my secondary need was to replace the Xenon (Main/Dipped) bulbs. This in my view, and in Jaguars, is definitely impossible to do without removing the headlight assembly from the car.
  4. I agree it should be simple to remove the bumper and indeed it is if the speed fasteners have not been thoroughly corroded, almost inescapable here in the UK, if they have then it can be a difficult a lengthy task if you are to avoid damage to the bumper and splash guards.
  5. I used the kit from CaLami for the very reason that it used metal fittings and included the Adjuster Gear Wheels. It is important to note that the kits for Halogen Only and Xenon headlight bodies are different - when ordering the kit CaLami asks that you clearly specify which kit you need.
  6. I am not sure when Jaguar introduced black reflector bezels here in the UK nor do I know whether such were standard on V8/R exports to the US. However, V8/Rs with chrome reflectors are not uncommon in the UK. That said, if it is necessary to open the headlight assembly for any reason it is a very simple matter to paint the reflector Black if one desires. Check out JagTV on youtube - they do the Self Levelling repair and paint the reflectors on a V8/R there.
  7. I'm assuming that by Headlight Sweep you mean when the Self Levelling system adjusts the height of the beams at start of the car (with Lights on Auto) or upon switching the Headlights on. I had no problems like this but would guess that it had to do with the Dynamic Levelling Sensors fitted to the Front and Rear Suspension which provide data to a number of systems including DSC, TCS and Headlight Levelling among others. In which case the SDD software would be essential.
Cheers,
Cubist

PS if there are other and better threads elsewhere in the forum I would be happy to withdraw my offering. However, I think it may be helpful to others if a link the preferred offering could be included in the Sticky - How To Guides

Old 02-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Originally Posted by cubist
Hi there Clubairth1,

By way of reply to some of your comments: -
  1. Before starting my thread I did check the Sticky 'How to Guides' but did not find anything that addressed the Droopy Headlight problem other than Brutals approach. My apologies for not searching elsewhere on the site but I had thought that, given how common this problem is, a more comprehensive and factory level fix would appeal to some members and may therefore merit addition to the How to Guides. Have these fallen into disuse?

PS if there are other and better threads elsewhere in the forum I would be happy to withdraw my offering. However, I think it may be helpful to others if a link the preferred offering could be included in the Sticky - How To Guides
They haven't but I'm not sure how many take the trouble to look in them.
If you have something that you feel should be included a PM to one of the mods will make sure someone checks it out.
I'v added your post now.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Fyi you dont have to fully take the front bumper off to get the headlights out

Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brutal
Fyi you dont have to fully take the front bumper off to get the headlights out
Hi Brutal,
Yeah, I did consider that approach but was worried about the possibility of damage to the bumper location pegs, and those horrible plastic brackets mounted on the inner seam as well as perhaps damage to the paint. When I found that the bulk of the speed fasteners were rusted through I decided to bite the bullet and replace them all, so committed to the full strip.

By the way, my apologies for any offence my earlier loose wording may have caused.
Cheers,
Cubist

Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts

My S Type R is at the panel beaters having both bumpers and sills resprayed so I thought I would finally fix the Xenon lights. Just stipped the lights of all the external gear only at this stage and in 2 minds whether to bake or get my wife's super hot hair dryer...
I may pay for one of the professionals to polish and spray the lenses.
One of the resistors is faulty and probably will change both HID bulbs. Can I go to a higher light output?

I have certainly noticed a few sellers of these kits with one claiming the steel ones are not as good as his one piece solid hard plastic ones..

Great write up Cubist. Very comprehensive instructions and very thorough detail compared to many of the others I have seen. I haven't checked yet but it should be in the how to guides.
Still confused about the 'sweep' mentioned..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 AM

Also my method does NOT defeat the self leveling. The only thing it does defeat is the jaguar manual horizontal adjustment. You now would adjust manual setting with the screw by screwing in more to raise or unscrewing to lower. As long as no other pieces other than the adjuster are not broken this is still a fast good fix that takes 2 minutes for me or 10 for others never doing before. Now that these pieces are avail to rebuild this will take care of purists and those that have more than the horizon adjuster broken. And since i have about 6 sets at home with more than adjusters broken...... i have just 1002 or 1014 things to add to my list of things to do

Last edited by Brutal; 05-21-2019 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

7 pages and no pictures?!?
Thanks for playing
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-have-109123/

While the Stickies contain a wealth of information, if you don't search the pertinent model forum for the issue you are concerned about, you are simply a sheep lost in the wilderness.
By way of example, a simple-search of this X200 forum of the word "Headlight" returns 20 pages @ 25 threads/page. Just a cursory view of the titles indicates a fair proportion of those are regarding the drooping issue.
If the Stickies contain EXACTLY what you are looking for, great...that is why I generally go there first. For instance..Brutal's excellent headlight fix is all you found there...but you'd have to wade ankle deep into page 2 of the 20 pages of results from "Headlight" to find it.
But if what is in the Stickies doesn't satisfy, search the forum, it's likely there.

Last edited by aholbro1; 05-21-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

hi
its worth mentioning, if you disconnect either headlight with the battery connected, the self leveling will stop working
and as above can only be reset with Jaguar IDS/SDD
so make sure the battery disconnected before removing headlights with hid self leveling
cheers
Joe

kr98664 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 PM
jya

Originally Posted by Joedotcom
hi
its worth mentioning, if you disconnect either headlight with the battery connected, the self leveling will stop working
and as above can only be reset with Jaguar IDS/SDD
so make sure the battery disconnected before removing headlights with hid self leveling
cheers
Joe
Great, thats exactly what I have done (disconnected lights first before disconnecting battery....). In fact I did that once before years ago as well when I first had them polished and they came up a treat but I had no idea I had to seal them with a clear coat and the plastic surface quickly faded again. I do think though the self levelling did continue to work.
No idea what IDS/SDD is but I assume I can only go to the dealers to get the self levelling fixed? Surely there has to be another way to reset the self levelling.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jya
great, thats exactly what i have done (disconnected lights first before disconnecting battery....). In fact i did that once before years ago as well when i first had them polished and they came up a treat but i had no idea i had to seal them with a clear coat and the plastic surface quickly faded again. I do think though the self levelling did continue to work.
No idea what ids/sdd is but i assume i can only go to the dealers to get the self levelling fixed? Surely there has to be another way to reset the self levelling.
to stop the fading of plastic headlights i a;lways apply 3m clear bra. The thinner film is for paint and the thicker for headlights. We used to use this all the time when the lights on jaguars were glass to protect from rocks.
Since then i have found that covering the plastic lens completel;y with the film keep the plastic from fading. So polish them out like new and apply the film

aholbro1 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:53 AM
jya

Metallic grey finish on HID

Rear of insert silver spray

Lens and insert removed

Break where Brutal recommends screw to go.

70 degree Fall day today (20 degrees Autumn day) with lots of direct sunlight. Placed the light assemblies in the sun for half hour and mastic became soft. Got a hard flat plastic off cut and light lenses pried out. Probably easier if baked or air gunned but did not want to go there.
I have not seen many photos of Xenon HID lights apart so thought I would upload some. Break was in regular place, the obvious spot where Brutal recommends drilling screw in.
At this early stage have not seen any other breaks.
Local Jaguar Wrecker www.prestige-spares.com.au supplied laser printed plastic HID set for $AUD30. Cheaper than fleabay. Claimed they were the first to produce these over 6 years ago with others copying. Suggested 2 piece metal ones can come apart; not sure how true this claim is but they have seconded what other seller has claimed.
As clubairth1 has mentioned HID inserts are not chrome as per non HID/Xenon; they are a metallic grey. Not sure why the difference but it probably has to do with the Xenon lamp?
Curiously the levelling motor had some of the wire insulation cracked which I will repair.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:03 AM
jya

Levelling motor with crack in wire insulation

Rear vie

Other side headlight with insert and lens removed.
w with still attached motor removed.

A few more pictures of HID/Xenon lights.
Thanks to Brutal for suggesting the specific 3M clear which I will try.

aholbro1 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by jya

Levelling motor with crack in wire insulation

Is that an OEM unit or an aftermarket replacement? I'm really surprised to see the wires damaged like that.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 605 Likes on 475 Posts

I experienced the same kind of insulation failure within the headlamp housing of a W210 (E420) Mercedes. The heat of the originating from the lamps just bakes the insulation hard; eventually it will just crumble and fall off from the natural vibrations from road travel.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:00 PM
jya

Originally Posted by kr98664
Is that an OEM unit or an aftermarket replacement? I'm really surprised to see the wires damaged like that.
Definitely original. As S Type Owner mentioned with his Merc it does look like heat damage. Have yet to check other side.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
jya

Word of warning.

Like many modern cars, the chrome finish by Hella on the plastic reflectors is not up to long term durability. In all fairness mine have had 17 years of UV exposure and the protruding design is such that the chrome does see the sun a lot compared to say a regular chromed plastic 'bowl' style reflector. But still disappointing to see..
So lots of experience/knowledge required here to attempt to clean this chrome. Generic UTube clips have the usual plethora of know-it-all's, suggesting everything from brake cleaner to SOS scourer pads. I would not recommend either in this case; unless someone has tried to the contrary.
One light must have had the dust cap open for a while with resulting in a fine dust covering visible on the chrome. I wiped the chrome surface with a wet microfibre cloth. Probably because of its age the chrome surface scratched easily and pretty much started to wipe off!
I then left it alone.The wiped off chrome marks are going to annoy the cr*p out of me but finding an expert to have these rechromed now defeats the exercise. Also the chrome piece sitting in the grey surrounds has chrome marks wiped off in the attempt and that piece is heat welded into the grey surrounds.
Probably best to try and avoid touching the chrome surfaces altogether.
Long term UV exposed chrome easily scratches and easily wipes off.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Most all of the Jaguar HID lights I have baked open have badly deteriorated wiring. I think from the intense heat as mentioned above.
You are braver than me! I used clear silicone to cover the bare spots because even a small touch and the wire/insulation just gave away.
I was not sure I could replace the wires without causing more damage.

I also had a lot of broken adjustment wheels but all the teeth on yours look OK. So I started using the hex drive to adjust the lights instead of the right angle nylon drive the factory installed.
You can reach it with a socket and then no more broken nylon teeth!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Droopy Headlights - How To Fix Them To Factory Condition "HOW TO"