XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Has anyone changed supercharger oil on the x351?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Has anyone changed supercharger oil on the x351?

Hi Gents,

The supercharger oil on our cars apparently are not lifetime. I know we have the options of either changing the oil regularly to keep the supercharger healthy or replace the whole supercharger should it die.

I perfer the former one. I have read here that some owners changed theirs on their x350, but I have never come across a post on x351. Does anyone know where the drain hole is? Please shed some lights so I could try it on a x351?

Old 03-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I don't know much about XJs, but I'm guessing the X350 is the 4.2 and the X351 is the 5.0?
Anyway, I do know from the XK and XF threads that changing out the supercharger oil on the 4.2 is a relatively straightforward job as the drain and fill hole is at the front of the SC and on top and not all that difficult to get at, but the 5.0 is a whole other kettle of fish as the drain hole is at the back end on the underside of the SC and the SC must be completely removed before the oil can be changed.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes the supercharger has to be removed to fill. It a lot of work because of all the junk that is bolted to the back of the supercharger.

The following users liked this post:
Nedoerr (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Anyone know if this would be performed during the supercharger isolator spring service. Do they need to change the oil for that repair? If not, I assume it would be a good idea to add this on while the supercharger is out. Thoughts?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Anyone know if this would be performed during the supercharger isolator spring service. Do they need to change the oil for that repair? If not, I assume it would be a good idea to add this on while the supercharger is out. Thoughts?
On the 5.0 the SC has to come off to remove or replace the snout where the coupler sits, so you might as well get the SC oil changed at the same time as it involves very little extra labour or parts.
JLR claim that the oil in the Eaton TVS SC is "for life" (it actually says so in the AJ133 Technical Training doc), but this claim is in the same league as the claim that the ZF gearbox fluid is "for life". For the life of the 3/4/5 maybe 6 year warranty maybe, but that's about it!

Nedoerr (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 AM

Thanks OzXFR and Cwalkey! So that is basically an mission impossible for me, best leave it to the mechanics

Why they have such design on the new engine? The old 4.2sc seems a lot more DIY-able.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr

Nedoerr, can you please enlighten me on this, what is “supercharger isolatir spring service”?

Last edited by EmmanuelTam; 03-24-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 AM

If you have to change the spring drive use the solid one from E bay. I replaced the drive and oil when I changed the timing chain tensioners on my X J .If you have not replaced the timing parts you should think about doing it, It not about if they will fail its when they will fail The tensioners are not suited to 5.0 motor. After examining the tensioners you can see how they fail. So i made a new set of tensioners for the 5.0 using the pawl and ratchet design.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by cwalkey
If you have to change the spring drive use the solid one from E bay. I replaced the drive and oil when I changed the timing chain tensioners on my X J .If you have not replaced the timing parts you should think about doing it, It not about if they will fail its when they will fail The tensioners are not suited to 5.0 motor. After examining the tensioners you can see how they fail. So i made a new set of tensioners for the 5.0 using the pawl and ratchet design.
It is a certain vin range, approx 2011-2012+, of 5.0 engines that are affected both Jaguar and Range Rover. The vin range for the Rover issue is published but not for the Jaguar as far as I know.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

My XJ was built in September of 2012 as a 2013, I have had the guides /tensioners replaced and created this thread for that https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-done-214277/, Also the supercharger isolator update was performed on my XJ with the replacement of the nose piece, that, I am quite sure, is not a lubricated part and did not necesitate the removal of the supercharger to perform.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam

Nedoerr, can you please enlighten me on this, what is “supercharger isolatir spring service”?
The supercharger isolator spring is in the supercharger and is there to prevent the supercharger from making excessive noise when under low load. The spring attaches to a pulley in the supercharger to do this. However there is a TSB reporting that for 2010-2014 supercharged models, the spring can wear prematurely into the pulley, destroying it.

To repair this, they have made a kit that replaces the nose of the supercharger. Most people I’ve heard do it, remove the supercharger to do this, however you may be able to do it by tilting it upwards. Someone with more DIY experience would have to confirm this. Most people also change out the y-shaped coolant tube while they have the supercharger out.

My independent repair shop said that although the pulley should eventually wear to the point of breaking, he has never seen this happen. Usually people bring it in when they hear excessive supercharger noise.

This is not to be confused with the timing chain tensioners. That is a separate Issue covering 2010 models to some 2013 models.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:31 PM

The supercharger isolator coupling goes between the front nose assembly and the supercharger body.It joins the front shaft with 3 dowels to the supercharger shaft 3 dowels there are s 6 hols in the isolator 3 are round and 3 are slotted. 1 of the slotted holes has a spring end that one of the dowels rest against .Over time the coupling gets damaged to the point when you turn the pulley with the belt off you can hear a clunking noise As far as the tensioners go i just replaced the NEW and updated kit that was replaced once before on a land rover this will be the third kit for this vehicle Al so i know 2014 land rover replaced under warranty 40 thousand k so it is not isolated to 2011 2012 years All 5.0 motors.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by cwalkey
The supercharger isolator coupling goes between the front nose assembly and the supercharger body.It joins the front shaft with 3 dowels to the supercharger shaft 3 dowels there are s 6 hols in the isolator 3 are round and 3 are slotted. 1 of the slotted holes has a spring end that one of the dowels rest against .Over time the coupling gets damaged to the point when you turn the pulley with the belt off you can hear a clunking noise As far as the tensioners go i just replaced the NEW and updated kit that was replaced once before on a land rover this will be the third kit for this vehicle Al so i know 2014 land rover replaced under warranty 40 thousand k so it is not isolated to 2011 2012 years All 5.0 motors.
The TSB covers 2010-2014, suggesting the parts were still bad until 2015. Are you saying you had a post-2015 kit failure? Though I understood wear is still possible, it was supposed to be much slower because of the newly-added metal lining on the pulley. Do you know if you had this newer part? Thanks.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 AM

All the timing parts that was replaced on the Land rovers was of the updated parts new tensioners new tensioner blade with hardened steel insert. The tensioner piston failed collapsed in, so there was no positive stop the distance was 5/8 in between the tensioner and blade witch cased the chain to slip and bend the valves . If you examine the tensioner piston you will know it operates and you will understand that they are prone to failure.On my XK the piston lost its mechanical stop the spring kept the piston out. On startup, the piston spring would compress causing the piston to go in and out until the oil pressure keep the piston extended, once the mechanical round cerclip lock fails the piston spring is not strong enough to stop the chain from losing its tension. I replaced my tensioners with my design.

The following 2 users liked this post by cwalkey:
Datsports (03-25-2019), dmchao (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Are you saying that the tensioner piston can fail in the updated tensioner kit?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Yes hear is the photo of the new and improved updated tensioner .You can see the first stage of the piston is stuck in. Lasted 75k then failed.

jackra_1 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

That is certainly cause for concern!

Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 AM

Wow, I did not expect my supercharger oil change question would extend to need of an isolator spring change and to a tensioner piston failure.

Mine is a 2013 MY14 XJL 5.0sc, with odometer showing 60000km, but I have an impression that the car had actually done more than 60000km, perhaps already 150000km. Do you guys think I should have my supercharger taken out and replace both oil and isolator spring?

Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 AM

The best way of checking the coupling is to remove the supercharger belt and rotate the pulley back and forth it should rotate in the slotted holes and put a load on the spring.If there is a problem you will hear excessive noise.Expect to hear some noise when the dowels rotate in the slots. There are two greased bearing in the front section some times they have to be replaced , or you can bye a new front section with coupling .Look on Aibaba they sell the front assembly.The coupling from Ebay About the oil its up to you, I do not believe in OILED FOR LIFE. Nor do believe in one change every 24 K.The next problem will be the transmission oil 150000 K is to a lot.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Normally, if it's not broken, don't fix it. However this is a known TSB that will eventually require replacement. I'm sure someone will chime in discounting this statement, but I don't think it's common to need to do the supercharger isolator twice. So if you haven't had it done and are removing the supercharger anyway. I personally would do it. The labor for the isolator job is 14 hours according to the TSB, mostly for removing the supercharger. The repair kit can be found from jaguar for ~$650 last I saw (at reno parts or carlsbad parts). I don't know about sourcing from 3rd party retailers on this part yet. I will be looking into this soon as well. See the attached TSB for part numbers and more info.

I can hear my isolator starting to fail. It makes the sound of a small marble bouncing around while in idle (have to listen with the hood open, cant hear it when I'm in the car). When I use a mechanic stethoscope and touch it to the supercharger, it is clear that is where the sound is coming from.

Attached Files

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed supercharger oil on the x351?