F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Joyride in my car while servicing

Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Possible Joyride in my car while servicing

Does anyone know if the Valet mode on the F-Type can control top speed or just privacy from contacts and such? Also what would cause my Journeys to be turned off if I didn't do this on the App? Jaguar Landrover has had my car for a week for scheduled service, oil change and fix my wheel they scratched. Last night I decided to look at my app and the Journeys had been turned off, I thought that was unusual as I rarely look at the In control app. I turned it back on to find it recorded two journeys hours after I dropped it off last week. What reason would they have to drive my car twice, One for 15 minutes and one for 10 minutes.....no other journeys recorded. What caught my attention was the MPG on one journey was down to 10 MPG. We all know what would cause that right?

The driving of my car may be innocent but I doubt it. I pick up my car today or tomorrow, should I bring this to the attention of the service manager?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Your car might be special, but it isn't special at a Jaguar dealership. They have a full lot of these and service them regularly. So why would they do it?

Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd say yes, JOYRIDE!

Old 04-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Negative, they only have One SVR and it’s on the showroom floor

Originally Posted by SinF
Your car might be special, but it isn't special at a Jaguar dealership. They have a full lot of these and service them regularly. So why would they do it?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Keep in mind that puttering around the lot in low gears produces very poor fuel economy. They may have simply been moving the car around as needed.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Ask the Service Manager ? If there were software updates that might have restarted the Telematics Module which might turn off Journeys. As someone else pointed out, my dealership stores their service cars in a separate car park so it gets moved from where you drop it off at reception and I can see that might take ten minutes at 10mpg....

If you have dashcam footage of course thats a horse of a different colour...

Old 04-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jode
Does anyone know if the Valet mode on the F-Type can control top speed or just privacy from contacts and such? Also what would cause my Journeys to be turned off if I didn't do this on the App? Jaguar Landrover has had my car for a week for scheduled service, oil change and fix my wheel they scratched. Last night I decided to look at my app and the Journeys had been turned off, I thought that was unusual as I rarely look at the In control app. I turned it back on to find it recorded two journeys hours after I dropped it off last week. What reason would they have to drive my car twice, One for 15 minutes and one for 10 minutes.....no other journeys recorded. What caught my attention was the MPG on one journey was down to 10 MPG. We all know what would cause that right?

The driving of my car may be innocent but I doubt it. I pick up my car today or tomorrow, should I bring this to the attention of the service manager?
I'd bring it up. But also, just be firm and say no test drives when having your car serviced. The last time I let a tech drive my car at Jaguar of Austin, TX, they chewed up my brand new front lip. It costs $120, not the biggest deal in the world, but on principle, it's just wrong.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Sorry To Hear This

I can relate to the pissed off factor as a body shop once pulled this on a relative of mine. She brought her nearly brand new Audi Q7 in to have the doors replaced after someone carelessly backed into her. Upon getting the truck back she noticed it had several hundred more miles on the clock! It was her word against theirs as she didn't document the mileage. It is a good idea to always take a photo of the odometer and tell them that you DO NOT consent to any driving other than to pull it into the service bay.

Last edited by AJ16er; 04-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Valet mode locks the glovebox and rear hatch. It has no impact on any operating parameters.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jode
I pick up my car today or tomorrow, should I bring this to the attention of the service manager?
My thoughts.... mechanics are busy. Our car is so special to us, but they see dozens a day. This was absolutely a technical drive. My best guess.
I honestly wouldn't want my mechanic to service without a test.
Don't go in with a "gotcha" attitude. These people know there's apps and oversite and new data transparency they can't control....
Just ask what those drives were about, as you casually noted it on your app.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

The service tech sometimes needs to move the car around prior to or after service. My service tech tells me (asks me if ok too) when they are going to go for a significant drive to flush out an issue.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Reminds me that when I bought my car (with 1,000km on it as a demo) I was told it wasnt available until after a long weekend due to "pre delivery" requirements even though I paid for it before, then when I got it there were a few hundred more km on it and I couldnt pair my phone because all of the allowed spaces were already taken up by everyone who had been driving the car long enough to need to pair devices. To say I was pissed would be an almighty understatement, I was feral.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Reminds me that when I bought my car (with 1,000km on it as a demo) I was told it wasnt available until after a long weekend due to "pre delivery" requirements even though I paid for it before, then when I got it there were a few hundred more km on it and I couldnt pair my phone because all of the allowed spaces were already taken up by everyone who had been driving the car long enough to need to pair devices. To say I was pissed would be an almighty understatement, I was feral.
The feral quail. My life is complete. Around here all we have is Gambrel's Quail.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

They drove mine 15 miles at my last service. I see absolutely no reason to drive it that far.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
They drove mine 15 miles at my last service. I see absolutely no reason to drive it that far.
Of course there is. They've gotta each lunch too you know?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Perhaps they had a client interested in their new SVR and decided that your car would be used as "the Demo" for that client instead of putting miles on their inventory stock?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Perhaps they had a client interested in their new SVR and decided that your car would be used as "the Demo" for that client instead of putting miles on their inventory stock?
Certainly possible. I would ask the service manager what was going on.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 PM

Ok, I have my car back and I’m happy about that. I had to wait an extra day because they left my car door open for at least 24 hours and drained my battery. They said they didn’t know what caused it so I suggested it was probably the door left open per my app.
I asked about the service and why the car needed to be driven. My service tech said there was no reason to drive it. She asked for screen shots of the journeys and said she would look into it.

This evening the service Mgr called explaining sometimes they need to clear sensors or reset etc, and may need to drive it to accomplish that. He explained the reason for such low fuel economy is probably because it was running for a while before they drove it causing the MPG to be extremely low.

so there ya go, that’s what I was told.

I will review my DashCam footage tonight after work just to be sure.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 PM

Driving to clear codes is plausible but if your car went in for an oil change and to repair a scratched rim?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Driving to clear codes is plausible but if your car went in for an oil change and to repair a scratched rim?
it says 16,000 mile routine service , state inspection and the wheel which was taken off the car and transported. There is no time indicating when these services were done but it’s not likely (in my mind) they were complete within 3 hrs of dropping off the vehicle. That’s when the driving happened.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Joyride in my car while servicing