XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

I'm in the market for my first X150, and currently considering a few that are for sale across the internet (North America). I have my sights set on a 2010+ XKR, but would consider an XK for the right price. I'd like to know if any veteran members can help me narrow down my list, and I can compensate them for their time and assistance?

I've been doing my homework for the past month, and am aware of the typical issues with water pumps, battery tending, tpms issues, etc.

On paper, most of the listings I'm considering look pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if any of them are a good price or not, given the miles and history, or if there's something else that would scare away someone more familiar with these cars.

If anyone is willing, please PM me and I can send over my list. If the forum is accepting, I can post the list here. Just didn't want to come across in my first post as annoying or incapable of doing things myself.

For reference, I'm in the market because my 1987 Porsche 928 daily driver (and favorite car I've ever owned) was hit by a little old lady 2 blocks from home, and I'm pretty sure they're going to total it.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

TraxtarXKR post the links to those you are considering here - you will get some pros/cons for each

Old 04-25-2019, 12:25 PM

These are the current cars I'm considering to purchase. Some of them have an accident reported, but they are 4-5 years since, so any issues should be okay. As always, I would get a jaguar PPI and contact carfax history dealers for any word on repairs and service done to the vehicle (water pump replacement part number, etc)

Thanks very much for any provided assistance. Makes me feel like this will be a great community, similar to the Rennlist crowd for the 928.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 04-25-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Trax you should take into consideration the face lift change starting in the 2012 MY. They also added a back up camera which is almost a necessity . Just something to think about.

The following users liked this post:
GordoCatCar (05-04-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Great advice. I do like the facelift in 2012+ MY, but was unaware about the back up camera... I thought that was 2010+

If the 2010 & 2011 models I've selected are a great buy, I'll still consider them. Otherwise, they will be the first to go. Again, much appreciated.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
Great advice. I do like the facelift in 2012+ MY, but was unaware about the back up camera... I thought that was 2010+

If the 2010 & 2011 models I've selected are a great buy, I'll still consider them. Otherwise, they will be the first to go. Again, much appreciated.
I don't want to push you away but if it were me I would fix the 928. Unless there is extensive damage under the fender that looks fixable to me. If they wanted to total it I would buy it back at the total price and fix it.
As for the back up camera it was not offered in the 2010, 2011 MY . I do agree that there are a lot of deals in the 2010 and 2011 cars. Another thing is try to drive both the XK and the XKR . Good hunting

Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM

I appreciate the sentiment.

It looks like it's fixable... but it'll depend on what insurance values it at and how much repairs are estimated at (so far $13K and counting). The hit caused gaps to move across the cowl, hood, and passenger fender. The tie rod bolt sheared in half, the door doesn't align to the A-Pillar trim any more, the door card sticks to the sill plate and pulls out when you try and open it, and the passenger side control arm has some damage that I couldn't see, as the car made a pretty gnarly sounding 'clunk' noise when trying to re-position the vehicle out of the way after it was hit. The passenger wheel actually grabbed the fender lip and bent it outward due to the impact... hey, free fender flare on that side!

I bought it in 2010 with 70K miles, and today it has 140K. I've been restoring the car over that time, and just added my receipts together, and they totaled $32K not including the original purchase price. That's not even including my labor, which at $85/hr brings the total invested to around $50K. I'm ready for something new, and if I can get an insurance payout of $25K+ for the car I'll be comfortable with it, as that's what I'd expect to get by selling it. Honestly, I'm not sure if the car will ever be the same, anyways.

If the buyback price makes sense, I'd consider it and repair in my spare time (what's spare time, again??)... but it's not likely. There are some really rare and unique parts on the car that do make it pretty tempting.

Anyways... if anyone has comments about that list, or are are willing to provide paid assistance in narrowing down my list, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 04-25-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

My advice is to not limit your search, look everywhere for the right car. Here are some other ads...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Jaguar...%7C1000%7C2500

Last edited by sparky fuze; 04-25-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

You'd only consider an XK until you drive the XKR. After that, no XK will bisect the poupon.

If you need any assistance near me, I'll help ya out.

CurtJ (03-08-2023)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Thanks Cee Jay. I'm ready for a bump in HP from the 928 (~340HP after the work I've done), but want to keep the GT feel... so it's highly likely I'll be going with an XKR.

If you can take a look at the cars in my list and exclude any that seem overpriced or 'scary', it would really help. If there's a vehicle in Utah that I'd like a pair of eyes on before flying out to take a look, I'll reach out. Much appreciated!

Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Thanks Sparky. I'm considering cars anywhere in the country, as shown by those listings I put together. I've seen those eBay cars... one is a salvage title (can't insure for full value), and two are convertibles (coupe only). If you have comments on the cars in the list I've made, let me know!

Or, if you know of any other cars that fit that criteria:
  • 2010-2011 (maybe)
  • 2012+ ideal
  • Coupe
  • XKR
  • Sub $30K
  • No crazy interior leather or woodgrain colors
  • Dark Interior is ideal
  • No serious accidents
  • Clear title
  • Less than 60K miles
  • Maintenance history records available a HUGE plus

Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

For a daily driver, don't be afraid of one with some miles. I think it's much harder on a car to just sit for weeks at a time versus get driven daily.

XK Guy (10-19-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 PM

60K miles just puts it at about 10K per year for a 2012... I'm not afraid of miles (doubled miles on the 928 while it was mine) if the service history shows it was properly maintained.

Any comments on those cars I'm considering?

Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Is it important that your XKR have Adaptive Cruise Control? It's a rare option, but was standard equipment for one year only - 2010, the first year of the 5.0L engine. Some love it, others hate it. I love it because it keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

Although the 2010 doesn't have a factory backup camera, Costco sells a $125 wireless accessory unit that is super easy to install, fits in the ashtray and looks factory. I have one and am very pleased with it.

The 420HP 4.2L XKR is no slouch, but it's nowhere as quick as the 510-550HP 5.0L XKR. If you're not going to track your XKR, you might want to consider a pristine low mileage 4.2L XKR. The 4.2L engine is bulletproof, doesn't suffer from the 5.0L water pump problem, and sounds better.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Is it important that your XKR have Adaptive Cruise Control? It's a rare option, but was standard equipment for one year only - 2010, the first year of the 5.0L engine. Some love it, others hate it. I love it because it keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

Although the 2010 doesn't have a factory backup camera, Costco sells a $125 wireless accessory unit that is super easy to install, fits in the ashtray and looks factory. I have one and am very pleased with it.

The 420HP 4.2L XKR is no slouch, but it's nowhere as quick as the 510-550HP 5.0L XKR. If you're not going to track your XKR, you might want to consider a pristine low mileage 4.2L XKR. The 4.2L engine is bulletproof, doesn't suffer from the 5.0L water pump problem, and sounds better.

Good luck with your search!
Great comment about the adaptive cruise... Did not know that! It's a neat feature, but not a must have.

I'll absolutely look into the wireless accessory kit if the car I buy doesn't have a camera. Along those lines, I also want to have my phones Bluetooth audio for media routed through the speakers. Looking through some audio related threads shows there's a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the apple iPod port for cars that have it.

The water pump issue is exactly why I'm willing to consider the 4.2. I don't track my daily drivers, so I doubt I'd use the 5.0 supercharged engine to it's fullest potential... but it is nice to have, helps resale, and comes with the redesign body and minor interior updates.

Again, I'd REALLY appreciate if anyone is willing to look over those listings I posted and can provide guidance with narrowing the list down. Happy to pay someone for their time and advice. That's really my goal in creating this post.

Thanks to everyone for engaging my question and providing valuable input!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m not a veteran, or an expert, heck I just bought a X100 XKR, but I was for a time last year looking at pretty much what you were, 5.0 XKR coupe in good shape for a reasonable price. I did a weekly nationwide search on both autotrader, and auto tempest. I hate to say it in this crowd, but I still think these are going to depreciate a little more (not a ton, and still worth buying) before stabilizing and going up. I just realized, I didn’t want to budget quite that much at this particular time, I may change my mind in the future, depends if I feel I’m maxing out my current car. Anyway, I may take a few minutes and bring up your list and see if anything looks fishy.

One thing to note, that at least in WI, I was unable to get any repair info from the dealership, since I was not the owner when the work was done, it was a privacy issue. I even tried to get some hints if there was anything in particular I should be looking at closer, and he was biting, but was willing to do an inspiration if I wanted.

Best of luck, I think you are going about this the smart way.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 PM

I’m going to be super obvious with these, and some of it will be pure opinion.

First one on the list is a beauty, and priced well, not a screaming deal, but about what I would expect. If you want it much less expensive, you will need to go older, less features, or more miles, or get really lucky. It has a lot of the extras folks above were mentioning, and I really dig the interior color combo.

Second one also looks clean, I’m not personally a huge fan of a white car, especially with that dark an interior, but that is a personal preference thing. This is getting close to being in the almost too few miles category, but as long as it checks out well, it may have just enough. Otherwise looks good.

Third one seems very high priced, even with the low mileage, I would expect that closer to $30k, or maybe just below. And while I think the light interior goes with the white exterior better, you said that wasn’t what you were looking for. And this really is super low miles for an almost 10 year old car, too few for me.

Forth one is not supercharged, and the price reflects that, may be a little light on extra features, and shows a bit more where then one and two. I’d still call this priced about right, just not as nice a car.

Fifth one is miss listed, it is an XKR, and a little cheaper then the previous 2013 ones. It is in Miami, where these have a higher density then most of the rest of the country, so that and the higher mileage probably account for the price. Looks good, but I’d make sure that you had a mechanic check it out.

Sixth one is interesting, priced better then I would expect. Interior is maybe a good mix of a bit darker then a light color, but not full on dark on a white car. Or it could just be an ugly compromise. Mileage seems about right, but the dealer speal in the comments has me thinking something is up with this car. Oh, and I think those are aftermarket wheels, but someone else may be able to confirm.

Seventh one we have seen before, and one new member here walked away from it. From the listing it seems great, but there was some issues with it, including mismatched tires iirc. Check out postings from about a month ago.

Im going to post these now, and finish up in another one.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Finishing up what I started.

On to number eight. I like the look of this car, I like the color combo, I like how it photographed. With that and the low miles, almost too low again, I can see why it is priced where it is. But for me, and this year, I’d probably want it closer to $26k, but maybe I’m just cheap.

Number 9 is one of the models I really dig, And I think the whole only making 175 of these, does add to the value. But this car is not a pristine example of one, the front bumper and drivers seat show some pretty good use. That being said, it’s probably priced about right, maybe just a tad high, but not by much. That is if it is in mechanically great shape, and the only paint issues are on that front bumper, neither I’d count on. Oh, and a PA car may have seen harsher weather.

I’ve looked at number 10 before, it’s been up for sale for at least a few months now, once again a Miami area car, so like I said density. To be honest though, it seems like a decent car. But at that price it should be moving if it was totally clean, so I’d go over it with a fine comb, or have a mechanic do the same.

Ok, same goes for 11 and 12 as 10. If all is ok with them, then they are priced pretty good and should be moving, but they aren’t, so what gives.

Hope that helped a bit, and gives a least a little insight. It’s broad thinking, and possibly wrong, but it’s what I’m thinking right now.

good luck on the search.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by John Nevets
I’m going to be super obvious with these, and some of it will be pure opinion.

First one on the list is a beauty, and priced well, not a screaming deal, but about what I would expect. If you want it much less expensive, you will need to go older, less features, or more miles, or get really lucky. It has a lot of the extras folks above were mentioning, and I really dig the interior color combo.

Second one also looks clean, I’m not personally a huge fan of a white car, especially with that dark an interior, but that is a personal preference thing. This is getting close to being in the almost too few miles category, but as long as it checks out well, it may have just enough. Otherwise looks good.

Third one seems very high priced, even with the low mileage, I would expect that closer to $30k, or maybe just below. And while I think the light interior goes with the white exterior better, you said that wasn’t what you were looking for. And this really is super low miles for an almost 10 year old car, too few for me.

Forth one is not supercharged, and the price reflects that, may be a little light on extra features, and shows a bit more where then one and two. I’d still call this priced about right, just not as nice a car.

Fifth one is miss listed, it is an XKR, and a little cheaper then the previous 2013 ones. It is in Miami, where these have a higher density then most of the rest of the country, so that and the higher mileage probably account for the price. Looks good, but I’d make sure that you had a mechanic check it out.

Sixth one is interesting, priced better then I would expect. Interior is maybe a good mix of a bit darker then a light color, but not full on dark on a white car. Or it could just be an ugly compromise. Mileage seems about right, but the dealer speal in the comments has me thinking something is up with this car. Oh, and I think those are aftermarket wheels, but someone else may be able to confirm.

Seventh one we have seen before, and one new member here walked away from it. From the listing it seems great, but there was some issues with it, including mismatched tires iirc. Check out postings from about a month ago.

Im going to post these now, and finish up in another one.
Originally Posted by John Nevets
Finishing up what I started.

On to number eight. I like the look of this car, I like the color combo, I like how it photographed. With that and the low miles, almost too low again, I can see why it is priced where it is. But for me, and this year, I’d probably want it closer to $26k, but maybe I’m just cheap.

Number 9 is one of the models I really dig, And I think the whole only making 175 of these, does add to the value. But this car is not a pristine example of one, the front bumper and drivers seat show some pretty good use. That being said, it’s probably priced about right, maybe just a tad high, but not by much. That is if it is in mechanically great shape, and the only paint issues are on that front bumper, neither I’d count on. Oh, and a PA car may have seen harsher weather.

I’ve looked at number 10 before, it’s been up for sale for at least a few months now, once again a Miami area car, so like I said density. To be honest though, it seems like a decent car. But at that price it should be moving if it was totally clean, so I’d go over it with a fine comb, or have a mechanic do the same.

Ok, same goes for 11 and 12 as 10. If all is ok with them, then they are priced pretty good and should be moving, but they aren’t, so what gives.

Hope that helped a bit, and gives a least a little insight. It’s broad thinking, and possibly wrong, but it’s what I’m thinking right now.

good luck on the search.
John,

Simply amazing. Thanks SO MUCH for spending the time. I'll send you a PM to buy you some lunch.

You rock. Anyone else want to comment in depth like John, lunch on me as well.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 PM

With this one (4th one):

https://www.jaguargwinnett.com/certi...6a6fd540e6.htm

I liked it because it's at a jaguar dealership, vs the other ones that aren't. I also like the seats, but it seems like that's only an option on a touring edition. I haven't seen that seat stitching pattern on XKRs. Also, the steering wheel is really worn, and that would bother me immensly. I think I'll remove it from my list. Regardless, I'd much rather have ventilated seats and adjustable bolsters vs a unique seat stitch pattern.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 04-25-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150