XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Replacement - Comments

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Alternator Replacement - Comments

Well time to face the music. I need to replace the alternator on my 2000 xk8. It appears there is a slight oil leak from the valve cover gasket so will also be doing that while I am in there. My plan is to follow the workshop manual and remove air box, belt, radiator fans and pull it by the book. I know that many of you have done this repair and any advice will be appreciated. I the one question I have it seems some have not removed the radiator fans and I was wondering if I could avoid that step.

I have the correct Denso replacement alternator and the time to do it. Would love to hear from you who have done it.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I had to refurbish the alternator in my wife's 2006 XK8 last July. The best way to do that was to remove the radiator fan assembly as well as to drain the engine oil so I could remove the oil filter (which opened up considerable working space for the wrenches required to remove and reinstall the alternator. I replaced the original factory serpentine belt at the same time. No idea if your 4.0 engine will require the same approach, but good luck with the job. I was able to get my factory Denso alternator completely refurbished locally with the appropriate Denso parts for about $125. A much better deal than buying a new alternator....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
Dr. D (03-18-2024), fmertz (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

The process just took a little finagling on my NA '97. No need to remove the fans or drain the oil.

The one hitch is the mounting bracket holding on to the alternator because of a bushing that slips. Once you get the bolts out the alternator might not come free from the bracket. Search the forums for details on that. With the details in mind I pried it out with brute force and a little hammering.

I found that the alternator had one orientation where it fit just right past all of the hoses to pull it up and out of the engine bay. It's as if the engineers laid things out specifically to give the alternator room to get by. It took me a few rotations to find that orientation.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

I have replaced mine twice... and was able to do it without removing the radiator fans either time. You should have no problem getting it out... once it is all loose and the wires are disconnected you can wiggle it out fairly easy on our 4.0L engines.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Yes, you can replace the alternator without removing the fan shroud, but if your car has a suppression module:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1276992

then it also has to be removed, and it's a bit of a fiddle. JTIS 2000 shows it fitted, but it may have been dropped or moved in later cars?

Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

My 2000 XKR doesn't have that but as it is an R model it does have an intercooler water pump and I had to remove that and bracketry. You don't need to pull the fans. That bushing will fight you but a little brute force and ignorance will get it done. The oil recommendation is solid too, drain it and you have a bit more working room.

The link on TheJagWrangler is a good guide. Gus did a nice job and it is helpful.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

I did mine years ago and it was no big deal. I think I may have removed the oil filter for access or maybe I just did an oil change while I was under the car.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear that it can be easy. Quick question do you remember if you pulled the radiator fans?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I don't recall doing it on either my XJR or X100 XKR. It's not awful to pull them if you feel you need to.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I remember learning a few things my 1st time. Glad I captured them in a thread, here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ght=Alternator

Do check the alternator before you leave the store. Rereading my notes reminded me of the time they put the wrong alternator in the right box!

I noticed earlier threads mentioned you don't need to pull the fan. Regardless of whether you need to or not, its just 2 screws and 2 electric connectors. IMO you'll be amazed at how easy it is. Itll help in the end. You do know how to put the hood in service position right?
John

Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

If you have monster-sized hands like me, go ahead and remove the radiator fan assembly for this job. It really opens up a ton of working space for your hands and your tools. And change your serpentine belt while you are in there....

Old 05-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

The worst part of an alternator removal is the tiny head bolt holding it to the bracket. If there is any corrosion at all, the bolt head can strip and then you are screwed. I had to cut off mine with a cutoff wheel.

When I turned in the Cut up alternator at the junk yard as a core, they gave me a WTF? before giving me $6 for it.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help please.

Most of the guides to remove the alternator were for Xk8 rather than XKR. I had assumed removing oil filter meant it could come out below, but I think it just gives better access to the electrical connectors and bolts. So if it has to come out the top is it easier to remove the intercooler and leave the fans, or remove fans and leave the intercooler.

I also partially damaged the connector, trying to grip and pull, is it easy to replace the harness or if I reused the existing connector any tips to try and seal and protect.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:17 AM
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

If my memory is correct, There can be issues with the rubber pillar mount for the air box being rusty and twisting off. So soak it with penetrataing oil and use a wrench on top and underneath.

Jack

Last edited by JACKP; 03-18-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by XKRRSydney
Help please.

Most of the guides to remove the alternator were for Xk8 rather than XKR. I had assumed removing oil filter meant it could come out below, but I think it just gives better access to the electrical connectors and bolts. So if it has to come out the top is it easier to remove the intercooler and leave the fans, or remove fans and leave the intercooler.

I also partially damaged the connector, trying to grip and pull, is it easy to replace the harness or if I reused the existing connector any tips to try and seal and protect.
so I got my alternator stripped internally with new Denso parts. Assume it was bench tested by the shop. Got everything back together and can’t believe that the battery not charging light is still on. So

canthe oval plug go in either way round ?

I also read that you may need to do a reset of the battery ?

if not then what’s the best way to check whether it’s the alternator or the wiring.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:01 AM
Received 351 Likes on 229 Posts

so I got my alternator stripped internally with new Denso parts. Assume it was bench tested by the shop. Got everything back together and can’t believe that the battery not charging light is still on. So

canthe oval plug go in either way round ?

I also read that you may need to do a reset of the battery ?

if not then what’s the best way to check whether it’s the alternator or the wiring.
I'm sure that the connector will not go on the wrong way unless you really force it on.

I assume that you have tested the battery terminals with a voltmeter and have seen that the battery is not charging? You could take the alternator back to the shop and ask them to test it again. They will have a permanent rig set up and it will take them a few minutes to test.

If you can't take it back and you have a vice you can set up your own test rig and spin the alternator using a drill or similar. You can also check the rectifier with a multimeter before the spin test. There is plenty of information on the internet about how to perform these tests.

Richard

Old 03-24-2024, 05:35 AM
Received 53 Likes on 16 Posts

please check the altenator circuit (wiring) there is a small cable on the altenator too which goes near the exhaust on the right side.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by RichardS
I'm sure that the connector will not go on the wrong way unless you really force it on.

I assume that you have tested the battery terminals with a voltmeter and have seen that the battery is not charging? You could take the alternator back to the shop and ask them to test it again. They will have a permanent rig set up and it will take them a few minutes to test.

If you can't take it back and you have a vice you can set up your own test rig and spin the alternator using a drill or similar. You can also check the rectifier with a multimeter before the spin test. There is plenty of information on the internet about how to perform these tests.

Richard
Hi Richard

i haven’t tested the voltage across the battery, with and without engine running yet, but how would I know whether it’s the alternator itself or something wrong with the wiring or connections. I can’t believe the alternator is faulty after being refurbished.

the plug slid in easy and clicked so assumed it was correct, but wanted to check whether it could be pushed in incorrectly.

it’s my first thing to check in the morning.

I can’t face getting the alternator out again.

in terms of my XKR, there was only the earth strap and then the main plug connected to the alternator. I don’t remember disconnecting anything else.

Last edited by XKRRSydney; 03-24-2024 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-24-2024, 07:06 AM
Received 351 Likes on 229 Posts

Hi Richard

i haven’t tested the voltage across the battery, with and without engine running yet, but how would I know whether it’s the alternator itself or something wrong with the wiring or connections. I can’t believe the alternator is faulty after being refurbished.

the plug slid in easy and clicked so assumed it was correct, but wanted to check whether it could be pushed in incorrectly.

it’s my first thing to check in the morning.

I can’t face getting the alternator out again.

in terms of my XKR, there was only the earth strap and then the main plug connected to the alternator. I don’t remember disconnecting anything else.
I've not replaced the alternator in our X150 but surely there will be a heavy duty cable bolted to a stud on the alternator which carries the +ve charging current? It often goes to the starter motor live feed. The battery should be disconnected before fiddling around with it.

Richard

Quick Reply: Alternator Replacement - Comments