XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

E-type contempt?

Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts
Default E-type contempt?

Out of curiosity has anyone else gotten contempt or scoffing from E-type owners when our two cars meet on the road? I've had a sense of comradery with fellow XJS owners here, mutual waves etc, even a spirited 'race' down the highway against comparable mercedes coupes but everyone who drives an E-type seems to purposely ignore the XJS, even after they've ate my dust?

The following 2 users liked this post by VancouverXJ6:
89 Jacobra (05-24-2019), ronbros (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 AM
Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts

I think this post could go in all manner of directions. I think E type owners own their cars for very different reasons than us.

The following 3 users liked this post by Crackerbuzz:
89 Jacobra (05-24-2019), Grant Francis (05-23-2019), Mike1610 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackerbuzz
I think this post could go in all manner of directions. I think E type owners own their cars for very different reasons than us.

From my experience they own them for the distinct pleasure of viewing my tail lights.

The following 2 users liked this post by VancouverXJ6:
Crackerbuzz (05-23-2019), ronbros (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 AM
Received 10,284 Likes on 6,805 Posts

I agree, and without "shooting my only remaining foot", they are a different ownership for sure. NOT rude in MY opinion, just different.

Last time I "met" an E on the road here, I was in the Black S Type (now deceased), and got a wave of acknowledgement.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I don’t see them. I have been assuming they are all at home, in their living room, on their display turntable, rotating slowly, silently, reflecting the beautiful furniture in their perfectly polished paint.

But I could understand a bit of pride if I did cross one. I know I would be full of it. Unless its a 2+2.

Attached Thumbnails E-type contempt?-quote-i-thought-stuck-up-i-wasn-t-i-just-sure-myself-always-has-bet.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

The only cars (not people) I have actual contempt for are the current line of Jaguar SUV’s and sedans which all look like Toyota-Lexus creations to me, and I have a hard time recognizing . Jaguars post 2008 target base probably could not care less about what they are driving or what I am driving anyway ....Every other Jag gets a nod regardless of which car I am driving.

Edit: Im addition to the new Jaguars, I guess I am not too friendly with are people who have heavily “personalized” or modded their cars and I happen to be driving the same car. I feel almost embarrassed, like walking thru the neighbors house who painted it purple and pink and thinks it looks cute...Usually its not a thing when driving the E type or XJS, since there are fewer of them and most people keep them looking pretty stock (( althoughI have seen a onefacelift running around in some ridiculous “mods”)) , but, I have come across a few X types that look like absolute circus wagons with aftermarket wheels and two toned paint. I am not gonna greet you because you make me ashamed to be driving the same car you are driving right now brother lol.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 05-23-2019 at 07:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Lawrence (05-31-2019), LuvmyXJS' (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I tend to see a lot of E-Types at the various Jaguar shows and events that I attend. And because we're all club members we all get on fine.

Whilst I love my XJS, I'll freely admit that if someone offered to swap their Series 3 V12 E-Type for my car, I'd bite their hand off to say Yes!

And don't worry, I'll still wave hello to you XJS boys when we meet!

PAul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (05-23-2019), orangeblossom (05-23-2019), Spikepaga (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Speaking broadly I think on-the-road camaraderie has declined over the years. The 'cool old car' wave....and 'yours, too' return wave.... seems to be a rarer thing these days. And complimenting someone's car in a parking lot or gas station? Geee, you're likely to get just a slight nod of the head in return....and don't hold your breath for a return compliment. I put it down, simply, to the present day human condition.

But, still, there are enthusiastic and friendly car people out there, thankfully.

Not long ago I was on the highway driving a '64 Corvette. Lots of waves and thumbs-up from car people. The owner of a modern Corvette darn near caused a six-car crash just to pull alongside and wave. So, there's still hope !

Cheers
DD

The following 6 users liked this post by Doug:
89 Jacobra (05-24-2019), Grant Francis (05-23-2019), LuvmyXJS' (05-23-2019), orangeblossom (05-23-2019), ronbros (05-23-2019), Spikepaga (05-23-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
I tend to see a lot of E-Types at the various Jaguar shows and events that I attend. And because we're all club members we all get on fine.

Whilst I love my XJS, I'll freely admit that if someone offered to swap their Series 3 V12 E-Type for my car, I'd bite their hand off to say Yes!

And don't worry, I'll still wave hello to you XJS boys when we meet!

PAul
Most gracious of you, Monsieur!
But I will wager, presuming you want to actually use the said series 3, that after 6 months of driving you will be either;
  1. vastly disappointed by its dynamic behaviour, poor brakes, cabin heat, sluggish acceleration, noise and high speed instability, and/or
  2. looking for an XJS daily driver, and/or
  3. quietly negotiating to swap it back, and/or
  4. soldiering on, while living with the disappointment only the unhappily married can empathise with!
However, I will agree with you to the extent that if I were to be gifted an E Type, I would specify it would have to be a manual hard top series 3.

The following 5 users liked this post by Greg in France:
89 Jacobra (05-24-2019), Grant Francis (05-24-2019), orangeblossom (05-24-2019), ptjs1 (05-24-2019), ronbros (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
But I will wager, presuming you want to actually use the said series 3, that after 6 months of driving you will be either;
  1. vastly disappointed by its dynamic behaviour, poor brakes, cabin heat, sluggish acceleration, noise and high speed instability, and/or
  4. soldiering on, while living with the disappointment only the unhappily married can empathise with!
However, I will agree with you to the extent that if I were to be gifted an E Type, I would specify it would have to be a manual hard top series 3.
Greg, a S3 is made to be more of a GT. The floor pans where made deeper, lots of the cars are automatic and towards the end all had A/c . It is much different than riding in a S1

Greg in France (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

If I was offered the choice I’d rather swap my xjs for an xkr than an e type . No contest.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts

Personally I think the E type is a little over-rated and has been a little blown out of proportion. (Don't get me wrong, some of them can be damn nice)

I much prefer the D Type.

Now that I would own!

https://newatlas.com/jaguar-classic-...53286/#gallery

ronbros (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts
Thumbs up

I think the XJS had a heavy burden following the E-type. The E originated from a time when smog and safety considerations were pretty much non existent. On top of this Jaguar with it's limited funds decided to focus on the higher end GT market thereby making the XJS much less of a sports car and more of a comfortable-quiet-high speed GT. Most forget that Jaguar was already heading this direction with the series 3 E-type.

But as luck would have it ( or simply lack of funds on Jaguars part ) the XJS stuck around for a very long time. Because of it's long run the XJS has many versions to choose from now including some very sporty variants. In the last 8 years or so of owning a XJS, I am seeing a deeper appreciation by all Jaguar enthusiasts for the XJS. As much as I love the E-type I would be hard pressed to give up one of my XJS' for one not because I do not appreciate all the E has to offer but rather because I know what the E does not offer that my XJS does.

All that being said there is something very special about the E type. I got to ride in a series 3 convertible a few years back for a few hours and it just had a very special feeling to it. The biggest drawback to owning a E-type now is simply cost to get started. The XJS is still a great value compared to the E cost of ownership.

I have always felt that my biggest responsibility as a XJS owner is to keep getting the car exposed to all car enthusiasts including Jaguar faithful so they can see firsthand how much the XJS has to offer and what a wonderful presence the car has. I do not take it personally when some do not find the XJS to be their cup of tea. I do on the other hand find great satisfaction when someone discovers the XJS for the first time or rediscovers it all over again.

The following 4 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Grant Francis (05-24-2019), Greg in France (05-23-2019), Mac Allan (05-24-2019), Steve M (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Greg,

I suspect you're right on most, if not all, counts! But all of it would still be outweighed by the idea of owning what I still consider to be one of the most beautiful cars ever built. When I was a young boy, the Series 1 E-Type was described to me by my Dad as "that's the car that can go faster than the police!". A car that can go faster than the police?! When you're young, that is the sort of car that you aspire to!

I think the best things is that someone should loan me one for a year and then I'll let you all know if Greg was right!

Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (05-24-2019), Greg in France (05-24-2019), orangeblossom (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Obviously you would have to borrow 2, a coupe and a convertible, just so that you could make an informed decision.
Probably ought to have another 2 or 4 so that you can compare engines at the same time.
6 should cover all the angles.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
Greg in France (05-24-2019), orangeblossom (05-24-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:13 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

I too can appreciate the E type but if I owned one I would be crapping myself every time I took it out in case some numpty ran into it. I would however be really pissed off if something happened to my xjs but it would not be the end of the world as it isnt worth an eyewatering amount of money.

When i take the xjs out I only worry for the first 10 minutes because Im looking at the road ahead and looking at the guages in case I end up in a cloud of steam or smoke

The following 3 users liked this post by leo newbiggin:
Grant Francis (05-25-2019), orangeblossom (05-25-2019), Steve M (05-25-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 04:42 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I have one of each, I love them both. I have to admit the E has top place in my heart but when I want cruising comfort, nothing beats the XJS

Spikepaga (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

I certainly notice something going on with E-type owners that can be classified as contempt but contempt is everywhere in human relations so by extension it is also present in the car hobby. For E-type owners the contempt is because of the reasons listed below.

1. Generational. E-type owners tend to be older and from a different era.
2. Status. E-type owners tend to be wealthy and look down on the under valued XJS
3. Race history. E-type has some real race histoy, the XJS not so much.
4 Sports car VS GT. The XJS is a cushy GT and E-type is closer to a raw sports car.
5. E-type owners never miss an opportunity to remind you that Enzo Ferrari called it the most beautiful car ever designed.
6. General cultural love for all this 50's and 60's and not so much for the malaise of the late 70;s and the hollowness and excess of the 80's.

Last year when I went to limerock for a Jaguar club racing event, there were many E-types racing and those guys are serious.. No XJS'. This year there will be 1.

I'm very familiar with this contempt. I also have the privileged to own the other 70's / 80's GT that holds a high level of brand contempt in the form of the Porsche 928. So un-loved by the Porsche faithful that many have called it a "Not a real Porsche". Like the XJS... the 928 is a GT and not really a raw low weight sports car. In the late 70's regulations were ramping up...the GT craze was on and being seen on boulevard was more important than being seen at the track and car offerings reflected this.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-26-2019 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Doug (05-26-2019), Greg in France (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
I certainly notice something going on with E-type owners that can be classified at contempt but contempt is everywhere in human relations so by extension it is also present in the car hobby.

Ain't it the truth?

Some people go absolutely tribal. It's disheartening.

Over the years I've found the majority of Jag-people to be congenial; only a very few seem to hold actual contempt for other cars or other people. Or, at minimum, they keep their contempt quiet and private....unlike some car people who are openly contemptuous and, seemingly, wear their contempt like a badge of honor.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
3. Race history. E-type has some real race histoy, the XJS not so much.

I'm very familiar with this contempt. I also have the privileged to own the other 70's / 80's GT that holds a high level of brand contempt in the form of the Porsche 928. So un-loved by the Porsche faithful that many have called it a "Not a real Porsche". Like the XJS... the 928 is a GT and not really a raw low weight sports car. In the late 70's regulations were ramping up...the GT craze was on and being seen on boulevard was more important than being seen at the track and car offerings reflected this.
I do agree with what you write ICSA, except for the race bit. The E type was not a very successful track car, even in the 1960s. While they were raced a great deal in club-level events, they won nothing of note at a high level. By contrast the XJS won at a very high international level in the ETCC in the 1980s and in Ozland the Bathhurst. I realise lots of pretend racers "race" them now - which does not really count in my view - but in the UK at least there is an absolutely cutthroat XJS series run by the JEC, and very few if any E types on the track.

I also so agree about the 928, an absolutely brilliant car, in fact the only German car I have ever fancied buying.

Last edited by Greg in France; 05-26-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Search this Thread