F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to Buy a Used 2016 Base F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trying to Buy a Used 2016 Base F-Type

I am trying to find an f type and every interaction with Jaguar dealerships makes me feel like I'm being scammed. I just spoke with one after leaving my number several times. They said the CPO warranty was only good for six years because it is "up to seven years" and not guaranteed. They also said I couldn't come test drive it because it broke down on the way to a car show this week and they are waiting for a part. I don't have a lot of experience with Jaguars but trying to test drive one and being told it's not even running is making me question this whole idea. I looked into another car that was also CPO and the Carfax showed the engine had been replaced, the alternator had been replaced and the battery had failed multiple times. The car only had like 9,000 miles. Thoughts? They also never seem like they want to negotiate on price even though these cars have been sitting on their lots for months.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Don't give up on Jaguar, the dealers (generally) are the worst part of the experience. If you find the right car at the right price you'll be blown away by how good it is - ask anyone on here! Good luck with your search ...

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM

I appreciate the optimism. I thought this car was perfect but I'm worried because they said the check engine light is on. It's also strange the they won't give the full seven year CPO warranty. Is there any way to get the service history of the car to see if it had a ton of repairs? The Carfax only shows one oil change and it wasn't at a jaguar dealership.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a CPO '16 S, and it also came with 6 years instead of 7. I found this to be common among dealers, to the point where I assumed 6 as a baseline with every car I found. You will most likely have the option to purchase the additional year at signing. In my search I very infrequently saw CPO cars with the "full" 7 years... and when they do, it will be advertised as such.

If you look carefully at the corporate website, the language is very carefully worded to say "up to" 7 years. Makes for a pretty unpleasant used buying experience.

Additionally, there is newly CPO from the Jag dealer, and CPO cars sold by third parties, whose extra warranty is transferrable (I believe).

I bought mine (semi) locally, but take a look at ebay. Jag dealers will post their CPO cars on there, and you may find a deal. Figure a few thousand for shipping though. In my case my market is higher priced than those elsewhere in the US, but the shipping made it essentially even. In hindsight the extra warranty I ended up buying would have made the non-local deals better, but your willingness to manage the extra effort of a non-local sale might change that equation.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info! Well it's nice to know that it's fairly common. I am just not enjoying looking for a used jaguar. They seem completely uninterested in giving any information about their vehicles. The salesman I talked to could have just explained that. It made me further question my plan when he said the f type broke down and wasn't ready for a test drive. I have had wonderful service at Ford dealerships and am seriously considering just getting a mustang GT haha

Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Aside from Porsche, most luxury sales people are not pleasing to deal with... I almost walked away from purchasing my Jaguar because of the sale person. However, I put his prejudice aside and bought what I wanted.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Did you buy used? The CPO I'm looking at had no service records at all which really concerns me. It seems CPO means nothing if you can sell one that has never been serviced.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Yeah my overall purchase experience was terrible. I almost didn’t go through with the sale because everyone I dealt with was just awful. I hate rewarding bad service, but I had a really tough time finding what I wanted...

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM

FYI my CPO had service records via car fax and the selling dealerships own sources but apparently none of them were recorded in corporate’s computer system as being the annual scheduled maintenance. I found this out only when I took it into my local dealer for the first time. This concerns me in case warranty issues come up, but I have all the paperwork that documents this... so hopefully I’m ok.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:34 PM

The one I'm looking at had no records from the dealership it came from. I don't understand how they can sell it as CPO if there was no service. No wonder jaguar is going bankrupt.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Aside from Porsche, most luxury sales people are not pleasing to deal with... I almost walked away from purchasing my Jaguar because of the sale person. However, I put his prejudice aside and bought what I wanted.
I think it comes down to individual dealers and their staff culture. I had two starkly different experiences with Porsche dealers. For dealer A I walked in no appointment to browse and was treated nicely by a knowledgeable and helpful salesman, accommodating and eager to show me the car. Dealer B; I had an appointment that was ignored, and they all but tried to steer me away. It was bizarre.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

+1 regarding a different experience with Porsche. Over the years I have visited Porsche dealers several times. Not once have I ever walked away feeling like they were even remotely interested in selling me a car. With my 3 local Jag dealers, 2 went out of their way to try to make a sale and one treated me like they had a Ferrari franchise. (In fact, the sales snob was a proud ex-Ferrari peddler).

Old 07-16-2019, 05:40 PM

You seem to be pretty active on here so I'll ask you. Do you know of an app or website that I can use to find the service history using the VIN? I have tried TOPIx but could only see "outstanding campaigns". Is this what I'm looking for?

Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Service history is generally available online for Jags in Europe, but not yet for us in the US. The closest thing we have is through CarFax. It’s worth a limited subscription to get a limited number of reports if you are shopping for cars.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 PM

I have the Carfax report from the dealer. It only shows one oil change. It's from a dealer in the south and they have record of detailing it and washing it on Carfax but that's it. The strangest part is if it's a lease don't they usually require that you get it serviced at the correct intervals?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Brian, I don't know where you are located. My current F purchase was -- and remains for a new owner -- a CPO through 2/2022 or 100k miles. It is my 11th Jaguar, 2 others of which were quite successful CPO's, plus another was brand spanking new -- wrapped in a Red Ribbon on Christmas! I am selling my F and can tell you -- show you -- all the details of it's life and service history. See marketplace above. A glorious ride.
Feel free to contact me on the forum, or (707)688-1015
Doc

Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

The dealers are by far the worst, when I bought my CPO 16 S, I got the full 7 year warranty. Plus my dealer belongs to Autonation and those *******s do that no haggle BS, I love the car, but by far the biggest drawback was the buying experience, plus CPO doesn't mean **** with Jaguar, my car has had over $25,000 in warranty repairs done in the first 6 months or so, plus the car was hit and covered up, then lied about it, in a lawsuit with Autonation now over that. But I still love the car. but i'd drive a prius before I owned my car out of warranty. For anyone in South Florida! stay AWAY from Jag of Fort Lauderdale, previously Alpine Jaguar.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Aren't you worried about the resell value once your warranty runs out? The one I wanted only had two years of warranty left and zero service history. I called Jaguar USA and they were surprisingly helpful. The woman basically said people lease them, don't service them and then dealers CPO then anyway. I'm really bummed but will probably be avoiding Jaguar entirely.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Not sure why you wouldn't just get it serviced when the service is free for the first five years

Old 07-17-2019, 01:50 PM

Yeah I don't know but there is no history of service through jaguar so maybe they just didn't care about the car?

Quick Reply: Trying to Buy a Used 2016 Base F-Type