Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sounds clips here.

Jaguar Racing in Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Brute,

Yep, the ancient phrase from the track always stays the same:

If you want to make a million dollars in auto racing, start out with ten million.

What is viper? And did you have a plan in place for the ECM tuning...as in acquiring the capability, or having a tuner set it up for you?

Were they going to allow you to use the flowed heads, or is that an unrelated topic?

Thanks !

Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  16.5 KB

Wow.....STR.....Awesome post c/w info + pics....thumbs up from me buddy

Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
Hey Brute,

Yep, the ancient phrase from the track always stays the same:

If you want to make a million dollars in auto racing, start out with ten million.

What is viper? And did you have a plan in place for the ECM tuning...as in acquiring the capability, or having a tuner set it up for you?

Were they going to allow you to use the flowed heads, or is that an unrelated topic?

Thanks !
no as in Dodge Viper manual tranny.
Ide be lying if I said I even remembered half. I know I had the rules for awhile we were to build under and waiting for clarification on how far theyde let us go to be competitive. But yes my goal was rework heads, cams, eliminate vvts, ecu would be a stand alone Motec. yada yada yada

Old 04-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

http://www.noblemotorsport.co.uk and http://www.tdi-plc.com/ have piggyback ECUs which work on our cars.

I think Noblemotorsport is distributing these in the UK, they would charge about $1000 for the Dastek Unichip which inluded fitting and a tune on their dyno. I would have done this already if they werent that far away. Then you can easily control at least the ignition/fuel maps. Though you need to know what to do...

Andre.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 AM

Thank you Andre, I've just seen your note and will read their information next.

Your point about knowing what to do is the best one, that's why I think the tools to correctly alter mapping are my first consideration. No sense worrying about piston alternatives unless the ability to optimize ignition timing is already in the toolbox.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Default Virginia International Raceway, April 17-19

Round #2 of the Mighty Milk Trans Am Series will be held this coming Sunday, April 19.

Winner of the season's first race Greg Pickett will be piloting the #6 Mighty Milk Jaguar XKR when the green flag drops. Among the field of 20 cars, including Corvette, Camaro, Mazda, Mustang and Monte Carlo, will be a total of four fully race prepared Jaguar XKRs.

For additional Series information and a schedule of this weekend's festivities at VIR, please go to www.sccatrans-am.com

When I find out what Mighty Milk is, I'll let you know. I plan on buying lots of it.

Andrew Bernstein
British Auto Care

Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio

When I find out what Mighty Milk is, I'll let you know. I plan on buying lots of it.

Andrew Bernstein
British Auto Care
It's "Muscle Milk" and its a fitness/protien shake you can find almost anywhere (mostly GNC).

I'm enjoying the banter in this thread, but it has been my expereince that most race modifications for Race Series are way beyond what the average street car owner has the ability to reproduce. Almost nothing is "plug and play" even if a race shop (aka Apex or Rocket sports) uses "off the shelf" parts they wind up modifying the platform during installation to such an extent that it is put's it into the "race car only" category.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Quite right about my butchering the sponsor's name, I corrected it in other threads but missed this one.

Adaptable modifications and engineering was more what I was interested in, direct fit is unlikely. The MAFS setup is one example. However, when Rocketsports announced their entry into GT2 ALMS since my last post, they also claimed to be planning an aftermarket line of retail components.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

After an impressive 1-2 finish in Canada, it will be interesting to see how our Jags fare @ Mid-Ohio. Congrats to Graf on the last to first performance. Let's hope he fails inspection again to keep the race interesting! Wouldn't be as entertaining to watch him start in front and not get to pass anyone for position!!

JTO, can we count on you to take some pics and post 'em up here? Would like to see more close-ups behind the sheet metal of these kats.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
Hahaha nice JTO, I totally agree, but I am also somewhat guilty of what your talking about.. Although I have contacted Ferlito Motors about their S-Type R, but unfortunately I don't have the time to fly over there to check out their car and take pictures (even though I reallyyy want to)..

The problem with using the Trans Am cars as a reference, in my opinion, is that they are so heavily modified that I feel that most parts won't transfer to a production car. The chassis are mainly tube frame, and these are purpose built race cars with a solid-axle at the back.

The older XKR (pre 2003) Trans Am cars were powered my 650hp carbureted 5.1 liter ford engines.. They also had some astonishing 0-60 times, I think in the sub 3.1 second range.. Originally EFI engines were not allowed, but I think 7 or 8 years ago they opened that up. They have a different set of displacement limit regarding EFI and Carb motor I think. All TA cars have to run a type of street car template, like Cam/Bird, Mustang, Vette, XKR...etc, with set limitation on width of fender, width...etc. Spec rearwing are also required...

The new generation XKR TA is actually powered by a Jaguar engine.. The race engine itself is based on the same all-aluminum 4.2-liter AJ-V8 `stock block` that powers Jaguar`s XK sports cars, the S-TYPE sedan and the aluminum-intensive XJ sedan line-up. Engine work was carried out at Rocketsports' race shop in Lansing, Mich. where Rocketsports' engineers increased the V8's capacity from 4.2 to 4.5 liters and more than doubled the horsepower from the standard 294 bhp (SAE) to over 650 bhp (normally aspirated).

With its race-tuned AJ-V8 revving to 9,000 rpm, the carbon fiber and Kevlar-bodied racing XKR is a very beautiful, fast car. The car will sprint from standstill to 60 mph in a staggering 3.2 seconds, with quarter-mile acceleration in 10.8 seconds at 135 mph, and a top speed of 180 mph.

Thats Trans Am, but there is also the GT3 SERIES.. THIS IS THE CAR THAT WE NEED TO LOOK AT...

In the GT3 series it's Apex Motorsport with the new XKR GT3. In September 2006 Richard Lloyd’s Apex team signed the contract with Jaguar to build and run XKRs in the new FIA GT3 championship. This is not, however, a factory motorsport program and the Apex race activities are independent of Jaguar.

The XKR GT3 retains the same supercharged, 4.2 ltr quad-cam V8 engine as the road going car. The rules allow for alterations to some key components on the basis of durability, and Apex has made some modifications to increase power, now reckoned to be generating around 500bhp.

Cooling is achieved through the use of an air-to-water cooler mounted low down in the nose of the car to cool the water from the standard supercharger charge coolers, with an oil-to-air cooler mounted behind that for the dry-sump oil system. The main engine cooling duties are handled by an NRP aluminium radiator mounted in the standard factory position.

Engine intake air is drawn from vents mounted on the front corners of the car’s nose through a custom carbon fibre box holding the air filter before being fed through to the supercharger.

Power is transmitted to the rear wheels via a carbon propshaft to a 6-speed Hewland sequential transaxle in the rear. Since none of the road going XKRs come with a manual gearbox, this was something that needed to be changed anyway. This change also resulted in an enhancement to the car’s balance by altering the weight distribution slightly to the rear.

The suspension has also been altered by Apex. Using unequal-length double wishbones on all four corners and specially fabricated anti-roll bars, controlled by Koni two-way adjustable coil-over shock absorbers, the car is given a well balanced and reasonably easy handling style. Since professional drivers are disallowed by the GT3 rules this suits the majority of drivers likely to race the car.

Braking at the front is controlled by Alcon six-pot calipers wrapped around 375mm discs, and at the rear Alcon four-pot calipers with 330mm discs. Apex use an AP Racing floor-mounted, adjustable brake bias pedal assembly, with the bias control mounted on the central column below the electrical switches.

GT3 specifies the use of a control Michelin tire in the championship, though some leeway is given on width. Maximum diameter is fixed at 18 inches, since Michelin don’t manufacture 19 or 20 inch tire. 11 inch wide OZ cast magnesium rims are used front and rear. Since the races are all one hour in length, and the drivers are non-professionals, putting wider rims on the rear could be counter-productive. The narrower rims allow the tire to heat up faster at the start of the race.

The car uses the same lightweight aluminum chassis as the road car. All the interior is stripped from the car and a steel roll-cage is fitted to protect the driver. The wiring loom and all computers are removed and replaced with a custom loom (the wiring alone saves 25kilos of weight).

Although the reduced weight of the all aluminum chassis is not such an immediate advantage, given the additional weight penalties imposable by the FIA, its sophisticated bonded and riveted structure makes the car very responsive to suspension and set-up changes.

The main Achilles heel for the XKR GT3 could prove to be the use of the standard Jaguar supercharger: a Roots type blower, where air is forced into the engine using two helically formed counter-rotating rotors. Roots blowers are relatively inefficient, producing the most charge air heat for a given amount of boost pressure compared with a Lysholm twin-screw supercharger. Keeping the charge air cool at high revs, over a one hour race in hot weather, could prove to be problematic. During a warm testing day at Donnington Park, modifications were being made to the air ducting over the coolers and heat reflection away from the intake box for just this reason.
What purpose does it serve to invert the Coilover in the front?

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-1180266758d5f13.jpg   Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-cooling-large.jpg   Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-engine-large.jpg   Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-front-suspension-large.jpg   Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-rear-suspension-large.jpg  

Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-1180266696d5f13.jpg   Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-interior-large.jpg   Jaguar Racing in Trans Am-1180266790d5f13.jpg  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XKRS GT3 rear wing

Hi
I'm looking for one of these rear wings if anyone knows where the Apex racing parts ended up.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting, how much money goes into building and maintaining such a race car?