Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-24/)
-   -   STR on a road course (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-24/str-road-course-106444/)

QuartzSTypeR 11-14-2013 07:36 PM

STR on a road course

Deviating from my typical 1/4 mile adventures this time around:

Michael Star 11-15-2013 10:30 AM

How did it handle out there? Also, how was the transmission? Did it downshift when you wanted it to?

QuartzSTypeR 11-15-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Star (Post 855858)
How did it handle out there? Also, how was the transmission? Did it downshift when you wanted it to?

I was able to keep up in the turns with most sports cars (370Z, S2000, FR-S, etc.) so I think I have the right tire setup and the car is actually quite capable for its mass. Its not nimble by any means, but for its heft it can definitely hold its own in the corners. I was using the J-gate for pretty much every turn, so the responses were predictable. At this point my sport mode has adapted to a very aggressive driving style, so I think it would downshift close to where I want. Driving on the street even leisurely in sport mode it wants to hold all the gears a lot longer.

Justink201 03-05-2014 10:05 AM

That's awesome. I can't wait to get my x type on the track, I just wish I had as much power as you do haha.

Justink201 03-05-2014 12:19 PM

I looked into this track and turns out it isn't too far, about 8 hours from where a friend of mine lives and I'm road tripping out there this summer. I was planning to do a few track days, at least one, with him while I'm out there too so I might check this track out, it looks fun, and lots of run off space. How did you like it?

QuartzSTypeR 03-05-2014 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201 (Post 924653)
I looked into this track and turns out it isn't too far, about 8 hours from where a friend of mine lives and I'm road tripping out there this summer. I was planning to do a few track days, at least one, with him while I'm out there too so I might check this track out, it looks fun, and lots of run off space. How did you like it?

Its a lot of fun. More technical with some elevation changes and not too long of straights, but its definitely one that will help you improve as learning the right line is key. You can eat up tires pretty quickly if you spend full days and sessions out there and I recommend bringing extra gas unless you want to pay $10/gallon for race gas since the closest station is about 20 miles away. Lots of space if you screw up and the owners are real laid back and keep the track in excellent condition. Reasonably priced, as well. I don't know anybody (locally) that goes out there just once.

Justink201 03-06-2014 04:06 PM

That's good to know. I haven't gotten track time, on a road course anyway, but I am really looking forward to it. If I do go out there I'll let ya know.