Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-24/)
-   -   STR vs. Camaro SS (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-24/str-vs-camaro-ss-94812/)

QuartzSTypeR 05-04-2013 09:57 PM

STR vs. Camaro SS

Back at the track! A couple of vids for you all, my STR vs. a new Camaro SS and a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged.

Sorry, I didn't think I would have to point the GoPro further back to see that Camaro ;).

Best run of the night was a 13.7 @101.4 with a 2.0 60' with a DA just shy of 7000 ft (this would convert to a mid-upper 12 second pass @~107-108 mph at sea level).

petthesweaty 05-05-2013 11:48 AM

very cool. did the camaro miss the green light or miss a shift? that was wmbarrassing.

QuartzSTypeR 05-05-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by petthesweaty (Post 731382)
very cool. did the camaro miss the green light or miss a shift? that was wmbarrassing.

They definitely did not launch well. Maybe it was their first time at the track?

RDMinor 05-07-2013 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR (Post 731177)
Back at the track! A couple of vids for you all, my STR vs. a new Camaro SS and a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged.

Best run of the night was a 13.7 @101.4 with a 2.0 60' with a DA just shy of 7000 ft (this would convert to a mid-upper 12 second pass @~107-108 mph at sea level).

I would think that supercharging, which pressurizes to absolute pressure, would not be effected very much by altitude. Yes the air is certainly denser at the lower altitudes but the supercharger pressurizes to the same manifold pressure regardless of altitude. I know that when they first equipped fighters and high altitude bombers with superchargers it was to regain the performance they lost when going to the higher altitudes that the planes were now capable of and not to increase their low level performance.

What am I missing. By the way, the GTP dust-off was pretty impressive as I think he just flat got beat while the Camaro jockey was asleep at the wheel from the get go.

QuartzSTypeR 05-08-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by RDMinor (Post 732831)
I would think that supercharging, which pressurizes to absolute pressure, would not be effected very much by altitude. Yes the air is certainly denser at the lower altitudes but the supercharger pressurizes to the same manifold pressure regardless of altitude. I know that when they first equipped fighters and high altitude bombers with superchargers it was to regain the performance they lost when going to the higher altitudes that the planes were now capable of and not to increase their low level performance.

What am I missing. By the way, the GTP dust-off was pretty impressive as I think he just flat got beat while the Camaro jockey was asleep at the wheel from the get go.

At this altitude, the engine compression is still going to be quite a bit lower. I may be getting the same boost levels, but I am definitely not making the same power at 6000 ft. that I would be a 0 ft.

Anders Hansen 05-09-2013 10:20 PM

The boost might be the same, BUT what you are compressing contains less oxygen = less power, you would be well faster at sea level.