Glen Turret distillery meet Crieff Sunday 3rd June 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

big thanks to jim and his crew for a great day run proficiant , didnt know what to expect but all was gd from point of view .didnt meet everyone but who i did were all a gd crack ,will defo do it again cheers from me and tracey

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Jim, that has to be one of the best "Jaguar" days I have ever attended since I had a Mark 2 in the late 80s. And I'm not saying this just because I won the cash prize raffle !

Today had brilliant weather, a lovely venue and I had a nice lunch too. This was the first Scotch whisky distillery I have ever visited, and what made my day was that distilling was in progress during the visit. I have a very tenuous link to distilling in that my paternal grandfather was the Excise officer at the Booths Dry Gin distillery in Wandsworth, London for many years, and once took me there to see it one Sunday. He had to go round and dip the vats to see how much was in them, then take specific gravity and calculate the expected yield of gin and thus make sure no "fiddling" was being done. It's all done by computers these days, of course.

After we left Glen Turrent we followed your path as far as Lochearnhead, but then turned right and went up to the Dochart Falls, had some tea and viewed the falls, then drove on past Loch Tay up to Tummel Bridge, then drove up past Loch Rannoch all the way to Rannoch Station.This has to be the remotest station in Great Britain, and as an old railwayman of 40 years, I took a few photos. We were too late to take tea in the station cafe, and I did wonder how they made any money with only four trains a day !.

After that we drove back and past Loch Tummel to get to the A9 near Drumkeld, then dashed back to our But 'n Ben at Powmill for a late supper and a glass of wine (or two !)

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
JimC64 (06-03-2018), Norri (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

much appreciation to Jim and family for organising a great day. lots of mods to be getting on with, big thanks to Jim for bringing us all together. seg & ann

Old 06-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
We'll be setting off shortly from our But 'n Ben near Powmill. Car looks as good as one can expect after the dash up from Crewe yesterday. The rain in Scotland was biblical !!

Good job Fraser, keep telling them all about the rain!!
Congrats on the nice wee lift today
Jim

Originally Posted by Rob M600RJC
Thanks to Jim for the Sterling job in organising todays meet hope all had a great time .#itsgoodtobebad

Thanks Rob and appreciate your help as always mate, really makes a difference.
Jim

Old 06-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EdgyXFR
big thanks to jim and his crew for a great day run proficiant , didnt know what to expect but all was gd from point of view .didnt meet everyone but who i did were all a gd crack ,will defo do it again cheers from me and tracey

Thanks Edgy glad you guys enjoyed it as much as we did
Jim

Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Jim, that has to be one of the best "Jaguar" days I have ever attended since I had a Mark 2 in the late 80s. And I'm not saying this just because I won the cash prize raffle !

Today had brilliant weather, a lovely venue and I had a nice lunch too. This was the first Scotch whisky distillery I have ever visited, and what made my day was that distilling was in progress during the visit. I have a very tenuous link to distilling in that my paternal grandfather was the Excise officer at the Booths Dry Gin distillery in Wandsworth, London for many years, and once took me there to see it one Sunday. He had to go round and dip the vats to see how much was in them, then take specific gravity and calculate the expected yield of gin and thus make sure no "fiddling" was being done. It's all done by computers these days, of course.

After we left Glen Turrent we followed your path as far as Lochearnhead, but then turned right and went up to the Dochart Falls, had some tea and viewed the falls, then drove on past Loch Tay up to Tummel Bridge, then drove up past Loch Rannoch all the way to Rannoch Station.This has to be the remotest station in Great Britain, and as an old railwayman of 40 years, I took a few photos. We were too late to take tea in the station cafe, and I did wonder how they made any money with only four trains a day !.

After that we drove back and past Loch Tummel to get to the A9 near Drumkeld, then dashed back to our But 'n Ben at Powmill for a late supper and a glass of wine (or two !)

Thanks Fraser, take that as a real compliment, glad you enjoyed the day.
The cash prize won certainly helped to put a biiiiiiig smile on your face lol.
Just sorry I didn't get to spend too much time with you guys
Cheers
Jim

Originally Posted by Fidelthecat
much appreciation to Jim and family for organising a great day. lots of mods to be getting on with, big thanks to Jim for bringing us all together. seg & ann

Thanks Seg / Ann, always nice to see you old hands at the forum meet events, you're always a shoe in
How about joining us for lunch Sunday12th in Powys, long run but could be good and worth considering.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up more....
Jim

Old 06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well the day started off with a little apathy from me, probably just down to what's been going on over the past few weeks and the weather taking a turn for the worse. There was the usual raft of call offs, which happen for one reason or another ( real shame for those that couldn't make it )...

I think I hit bed at around 2am and got up at a little after 5am to see the weather was pretty poor and said sod this and went back to bed lol, got up at 6am had another look, said sod this and went back once more. I eventually got up around 6.30am and got moving, little point in doing anything to the cars, weather wasn't the best.

Tress got back from nightshift at 7am and followed 30 mins later by Billy, Peter, Michelle and Lewis, made sure everything was all good and set off around 8am, arrived Stirling services around 8.20am and already a few of the Jag boys there, more came in every few minutes or so.
We managed as best we could to welcome everyone and spend time where we could, handing out "welcome packs" to Jaguar forum members and slightly lighter versions to any plus one's....everyone got one.

Left Stirling services 9am on the dot ( missing Terri for the pics / videos today ) and headed for Crieff, we made good time and arrived at around 9.40am to find a few souls already there waiting and all got parked up.
Mrs C ( responsible for rounding everyone up ) had that ****** whistle AGAIN......I keep hiding it and she keeps finding it

We got busy handing out more "welcome packs" and Billy Peter set up the forum banner, sharpies provided and there for all to sign for posterity.

About this time, we gathered everyone at the Famous Grouse and I gave everyone a quick run down on the day, we'd be meeting back there around 11am for a quick brief on the forum sponsors, but in the meantime up to the café for bacon rolls and coffee to kick start the day....
The café staff were excellent and worked their way through around 90 odd people till everyone was satisfied

The weather, thankfully had started to clear up and was actually getting a little too hot for my liking, not overly sunny, but hot nonetheless. Coffee and bacon rolls consumed it was onwards n upwards...
We managed to round everyone up and changed the location for the chat to the terrace as it was so nice, a quick chat about the forum sponsors and the raffles etc and then we headed into lounge area of the café to sell the raffle tickets, we raised £917.00 from ticket sales

This was all put back into the kitty and broken into 3 prizes of
3rd place £200.00
2nd place £300.00
1st place £417.00

Every ticket sold had a chance of wining whatever prize they were sold for, in the vent they didn't win they were added to a master draw for a chance at winning the cash prizes as detailed above.

More to follow....

Jim

SteveSheldon (06-04-2018)
Veteran Member

Tickets all sold it was time to sort out the draws and prizes etc which we did and then arranged to meet at the famous Grouse ( more whistle blowing! ) and proceeded to advise off the draws / prizes etc and make the draw
Generally where possible we asked sponsors who were in attendance or ladies from the crows to come up and make the draw
Sng Barratt voucher, 2 x Mr Tint and 2 x Prestige Jaguar were all up first and received well, the tension building as always....

Then on to the Mackies voucher, GS Allen £100 cash, Cormac £200 cash, Goodmans £200 cash and FSE Group £250 cash draws ending with the kindly donated F type weekend draw, won by non other than Derek (Lurker)....I thought for sure it was mine again this year, but not to be.

Onwards n upwards to the cash prizes
3rd and 2nd place were drawn and by this time I was thinking to myself not a winner in sight, I'd probably spent around £80 on tickets ( mostly for the F type I might add ) and was more than a little gutted....

1st place was drawn and there was a shout / scream from the crowd and it was Mrs C, doing a wee jig n everything at winning £417.00 before Billy shouted...check the back!!
She checked the back as she had signed my name onto the tickets I had bought as against hers and guess what.....my initial were there lol

The jig stopped and there was some mumbling going on along with some unladylike name calling I might add

My gob was smacked, pleasantly I might add and it was me doing a jig lol.....

Time for some more pics, we gathered everyone at the forum banner and shot a few group pics of everyone.....

More to follow

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
jeely (06-04-2018), SteveSheldon (06-04-2018)
Veteran Member

We did a rough count and looked to be 47 cars there and around 80 people probably in the end

Any that were put off with weather reports etc really missed out as the day turned out to be extremely hot and dry for 90% ( if not overly sunny, a little cloudy ) and only rained again around 4.30pm as we gathered for the last chat at Stirling services.

Too many to mention and god forbid I would miss anyone but.....

Really nice to see Chris Clark all the way from Cambridge area, what a trip, and Jimbo making the effort too. Great to catch up with Chris again and put a face to Jimbo too.....
8bit and SimonXJ all the way from Aberdeen along with tupps44 and my old chariot that was looking great, really cool.

Benwillcox making the trip, Fraser Mitchell winning cash prizes £200 and Alecs immaculately turned out car as always ( see pic washing on site as we arrived )

Good to see both old weel kent faces and new ones alike ( quite a few new faces this year which is always good to see )

Bob T, Dadzadonkey, Diamond Bly and Sabby were there, Discovery Pete, EdgyXFR, Emz, ESWMR01,Fidelthe cat too....
Ian from Prestige Jaguar mad his usual appearance, always nice to see....

One half of Jeely ( Jim was there ) Jimdoc, John9285, Kenny 10b and Derek ( Lurker who won the F type ) along with Ian as always. Nichol*2010 was there the night before, I had a heads up from Scottishblue also in attendance who had caught up with JimboV8 and C16RKC.
Parahandy, Pegasus3710 with his new XJ X351 in White, Racediagnostics, Rapala ( winner of the SNG Barrrat voucher ) Riot and RobM600 RJC (Thanks for all your help Rob )

Ross Craig turned up with his nephew in tow who had a great day by all accounts, RT29781, Speedferret, and Scottishblue and already mentioned in his stunning XFRS.
I actually checked with Martin ( Scottishblue ) and showed him a picture I took of his car in Dundee on the motorway some 2 weeks before!!!!
I flashed him and gave him a wave as I passed and he vaguely remembered.....small world we live in.

Stephen Keaveney was there in this Daimler, Super350 after his epic NC500 dash, Tommac and Tracey Mitchell, Tress of course ( with that damn whistle ) Trooper2142, XJREcosse, XKRDavy and of course Zippo with his freshly painted car..

Apologies to anyone I may have missed, it's just a brief rundown. I may even have got to talk to some of you for a minute or two here n there ( joys of being the organiser )
Further apologies for the few pics I managed to take, our resident photographer and videographer Terri was unable to attend today.

With the F type safely returned to Pentland Jaguar ( Massive shout out and thanks to Pentland ) I arrived home with Tress, Billy, Michelle., Lewis etc shortly after.
I organised a family meal from our local Chinese and then shared my spoils with Mrs C ( would never have heard the end of it otherwise lol )

Was wondering how Jimbo and Chris especially were getting on, long way home, hopefully arrived home all A ok, Simon too after his epic trip on the NC500.

TV on and a coffee and then a few ZZzzz's became my friend as I feel asleep on the couch for a brief 40 winks, time for bed shortly.

Once again I must give a massive shout out to all our sponsors who helped make the day what it was. SNG Barratt are always there to support our event AND offer forum member discounts all on top of being one the existing "go to " suppliers
Internet Brands for their contribution too and Mackies Transmissions, the A1 ZF rated partner in Glasgow who is our "go to" company for anything transmission related
Pentland Jaguar again really stepped up this year, with the F type on the day AND the F type weekend as a raffle prize, have to say I've found them great to deal with on most things, we've bought a car from them and had cause for service work / parts etc too.
Mr Tint once more offered 2 x free window tints which were really appreciated.

The cash prizes from GS Allen, Goodmans, Cormac and FSE Foundry and of course not forgetting the great prizes offered again from Prestige Jaguar who always step up to the plate. I've used them for many years for servicing and know most of you local guys ( anyone within 100 miles or more ) do too, great to see Ian there again too, he's a real regular.

I personally had a fantastic day and all seemed to go fairly well I thought. This is about the 5th annual Crieff meet and may indeed be the last, thinking if I do anything next year it may be a slightly different format and a possible different location.

Roc Coop / Tupps44 / Scotishblue1985 / John9285 And Zippo along with myself already collectively thinking about joining the Sunday lunch meet in Powys on the 12th.

A special thanks again to my family for all their help on the day, Rob Coop, Lurker and Tracey Mitchell too, really appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
jeely (06-04-2018), SteveSheldon (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

We were leaving for the run portion of the event around 2pm and the sun was still shining, really hot.....

There were quite a few who had to leave a little earlier for other commitments, or because the route didn't suit their final destination, but there must have been around 18 cars or so

We left and took a right at the main road onto the A85 heading for St Fillans and Lochearnhead, beautiful twisty roads with some longish straights, the road nestled in the glen, hills rising either side and then the Loch, some stunning views and the weather held!

It was quite a slow wee run, just gently ambling along and eventually came to Lochearnhead, took a left onto the A84 heading for Strathyre and ultimately Callander.

We passed Loch Lubnaig on the right, down through Kilmahog and on towards Callander ( which was as usual packed full to the brim of tourists, so slow going through there.

Leaving Callander onwards to Doune and ultimately Stirling, back on to the M9 and the services, I reckon around a dozen cars turned up and just as that we had some gentle Scottish summer rain. A wee chat for an hour or so to say our farewells and then off our separate ways and home.

Good day all round

Jim

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
jeely (06-04-2018), Norri (06-04-2018), SteveSheldon (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Good to hear the rain held off for most of the day.

How anyone leading a convoy of Jaguars through Callander dares to complain about tourists escapes me!

Graham

JimC64 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:29 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

The scenery is jaw dropping, and has got Theresia talking about us visiting your way in the next few years for a week or two - and it sounds like you had a great day with the weather holding off for you :-) Really well done on organising this Jim and great to read up on it.. thankyou

JimC64 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:34 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

"...gentle Scottish summer rain". Heh. Horizontal stair rods, I would imagine. Glad a good day was had by all.

JimC64 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Good to hear the rain held off for most of the day.

How anyone leading a convoy of Jaguars through Callander dares to complain about tourists escapes me!

Graham

Blah blah blah......shortest route, on the way and all that.
Those that made the effort didn't complain lol
Jim

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
The scenery is jaw dropping, and has got Theresia talking about us visiting your way in the next few years for a week or two - and it sounds like you had a great day with the weather holding off for you :-) Really well done on organising this Jim and great to read up on it.. thankyou

Superb Steve...
If you need any pointers / ideas etc let me know, you MUST be sure to drop in for a coffee too
Jim

Originally Posted by christ
"...gentle Scottish summer rain". Heh. Horizontal stair rods, I would imagine. Glad a good day was had by all.

Lol it was ....honest
The Saturday afternoon? Not so much!
It was coming down at 100mph, hitting ground and bouncing back up around a foot or so...

Late Sunday afternoon?
It was that very gentle Scottish rain that drifts onto your head and it's actually quite warm, a nice way to cool down a little as it was too hot anyway

Jim

Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a few more of the day.....

The B team

If anyone has others, please feel to get them added

Thanks
Jim

Old 06-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks Jim, we had a great day out!

JimC64 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And a belated thanks to Jim et al from me. Great day. Missus hasn`t spent her winnings yet !!!

JimC64 (06-08-2018)