Low mileage and missed services :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low mileage and missed services :(

Hi all,

New member here, looking at buying a used XKR over the next few months if all goes to plan!

I've found an '07 XKR for sale with very low mileage (<40K) but its only had 6 services in its lifetime. From what I understand the 4.2 should be serviced every 10k or 12 months, whichever comes first. The garage is saying basically saying this is fine, normal, etc which stinks of BS to me. They are saying the car has been serviced on the following mileage..

35,981 (last year, so due another service now)

Anyway - would a lack of servicing be a concern to anyone? I could get it serviced before a potential purchase but it makes me a little nervous. Aside from the service history the car seems good.

As an aside - is mileage a problem with these? I've been ruling out anything with more than ~70k on the clock so is pushing my budget up a little. If they chew up miles without a problem then maybe I could widen my search.

Thanks for the help
Jeff

Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry but I fail to see your problem. I would be overjoyed to have that service record.
With that engine it's probably just getting nicely ran in.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

By 'servicing' I think you're referring to engine oil changes. The 12 month limit is conservative and would only really of concern in extreme circumstances.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Are they just oil changes? Finding an online copy of the service schedule isn't as easy as I hoped.

I was just a little concerned that the car is 10 years old and should have been serviced 9 times by now. It's only had 6. Obviously the mileage is much lower than normal for a car of that age but I've always had my cars serviced annually, regardless of mileage. Oil degrades, rubber perishes regardless of mileage.

Or am I just being overly cautious?

Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Service

I think you are being over cautious. BUT as this problem is in your mind I would look for low mileage perfect vehicle which has been serviced as per the book. At of course a bargain price.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffers_uk
.... The garage is saying basically saying this is fine, normal, etc .....
Originally Posted by jeffers_uk
Are they just oil changes? Finding an online copy of the service schedule isn't as easy as I hoped. .....
"Normal" is the manufacturer's recommendation and this is every 10K miles OR 12 Months - whichever comes sooner.

Here's the 2007MY Maintenance Schedule:

Low mileage and missed services :(-xk-2007-maintenance-schedule-1.jpg Low mileage and missed services :(-xk-2007-maintenance-schedule-2.jpg
(Click on the images to enlarge them)

Other than oil and filter changes, the two items I'd be concerned about are brake fluid and coolant changes at 2 and 4 year intervals respectively.

I'm never greatly impressed by stamps in a Service Book unless they are backed up with itemised invoices.

You are perhaps being over cautious when the vendor is being lackadaisical. An excellent opportunity to meet somewhere in the middle on price if the vehicle is otherwise impressive!

Low mileage isn't necessarily a virtue or a benefit with a ten year old Jaguar. Regularly used ones are often more reliable than weekend specials.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
jeffers_uk (08-30-2017), SteveSheldon (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

If the price is good, and she is in good shape (check pedals and general wear and tear back up the low milage stated) then I would personally say go for her, but possibly negotiate the price down by the cost of a full service, and get everything up to date as soon as you have her, paying special attention to any coolant and brake fluid changes as Graham mentioned above

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 08-29-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Keep us in touch with how this goes - would love to hear :-)

Old 08-30-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanks for all the comments, especially GGG for the copy of the service schedule.

Its seems my car has finally sold so I have a a few options when looking for the XKR. One of the main reasons I was looking at the car in question was because I could trade my current car in. Anyway - I'm sure I'll be back before long with a million questions.

Thanks all!

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (08-31-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Well that didnt take long.. I've just put a deposit down on an '06 XKR with slightly fewer miles and a full service history. For less money

Collecting it on the weekend, cant wait

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:59 AM

Congratulations - look forward to seeing any pics, what spec you have, and hearing hoiw you get on with it :-)

Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Well, I'm into my third day of XKR ownership and I'm loving it. Well, apart from the fuel consumption but thats to be expected. I'll put some pics up once its been washed and up to standard

Anyway, its a 2006 with 35k miles on it, with a *full* Jaguar service history. Theres a few options ticked (ivory leather, adaptive cruise, heated front screen, front parking aid, keyless entry) but one thing I'm not sure about is the garage door opener. Was it an option? Where would I find the buttons? I dont see anything on the underside of the rear view mirror. Not a major problem but a nice to have.

Theres a few small marks on the paint here and there so I think I'll get a smart-repair done, just so I know its A1. The other thing bothering me is the high-level rear brake light, it looks like the lens (the red bit) is pulled slightly away from the spoiler.

Is it likely just a case of taking the lens out and putting it back in or something more fiddley?

Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by jeffers_uk:
Busa (10-18-2017), SteveSheldon (09-13-2017)