US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Front License Plate, Arghhh!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Play On His Sympathies

I told the cop, “I’ve always wanted a Jag XK because it looks more like art than a car, so after years of scrimping and saving, and finally being able to buy the car of my dreams … I just couldn’t bring myself to drill license plate holes in a perfectly good, virgin front bumper … it would be like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa!” He didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, so he just said, “Have a nice day.” and drove off! It helps if you can look really sad and pitiful when telling the story!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've left my front plates off for several years and it has been no problem. I would think it would take a pretty sharp policeman to check your front end for this very reason, but hey, maybe that's what they teach in Police Academy.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran without a front plate for 9 months and then got spanked with a $109. 00 ticket on top of a $200.00 ticket for speeding after passing a B-Train fuel truck I had been following for miles, in a passing lane of all places. Go figure! Guess he was really ticked off for some reason. Oh well. Got to enjoy the look of the cat without the white blob mounted on the grille.
I tried the " It just fell off and its in the boot" excuse but he was not amused.

This was my answer to the front plate issue.

Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate, Arghhh!-imag0688.jpg  

Last edited by growler05; 12-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Plate in Ohio

My experience in Ohio is they use the excuse of no front plate so they can pull me over to give me a seat belt ticket, happened a couple of times over the last few years. Anything to get more revenue for this lousy state!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven a car in Wisconsin without a legal front plate for a year and a half now. I was stopped once in a near north suburb of Milwaukee and given a warning. When I took it to Milwaukee PD to get it signed after I put my real plate back on (I have a euro plate) the police officer laughed and told me that they would never pull someone over like me in that type of car. Front plate violations are only used around here when looking for other issues and while you can be pulled over in Wisconsin for not having a front plate on an Illinois vehicle I don't think they can actually give you a citation for it so driving in other states should be fine (there was a case where someone tried to contest their arrest because they were initially pulled over for a front plate violation on an Illinois car but the court upheld the arrest).

I should also note that many county sheriffs have seen my front plate and not cared. Just the one bored cop on a Tuesday night thus far.

Illinois seems to be hit or miss. A family member with an XK8 has never been pulled over for not having a front plate while a couple of friends have been stopped several times in various cars including a 300C.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a police officer in Ohio. I run with a front plate because I can't be a hypocrite. Locally we don't ticket for it unless it is a companion charge, i.e. OVI. No front plate gives police the probable cause to stop your vehicle. If an officer is fishing for OVI they can stop you. If the vehicle/occupants look suspicious then they can stop you. It is a lawful reason to stop the vehicle the same as no license plate light, dark window tint and other equipment type violations.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM

I've had my XJ6 titled in Wi. since 2007 and have never had the front plate on it. The car came from Ar. which doesn't have the stupid front plate I rule. Although I only drive the car during warm weather months I haven't been pulled over. Seems to me I could make bracket that mounted on the bottom of the bumper so no holes in the front at least.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 AM

My XJ8 came from MI with no front plate. I don't have the heart to install the front plate. Currently I have it stuck in the front window on the passenger side. I will fabricate an aluminum bracket so I don't have to drill the bumper. I think plates should not be installed on such fine vehicles.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

California requires front plates. It's a fixit ticket that will still cost $10-$15 in admin fees and a required trip to re-inspection. Good way is to bend backwards upper and lower sections of the plate, leaving the characters still visible. Usually the cops will let you slide with that one. However, if you get a cop on a bad day you can undo the damage but still have to reinspect.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

On my last two cars I've not put front plates on, live in WI (over a period of 12 years). I've had one incident where a cop gave me a "fix it" ticket and when I showed them I'd put the plate on they ripped up the ticket. I promptly removed the plate.

I've got every intention of doing the same with my first ever Jaguar, however, the prior own had the plate mount bracket screwed into the bumper

For those that have had to fix the screw holes into the bumper, what have you used and how'd it go? Any tips?

Thanks!

Last edited by Byte Me; 05-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Be cool and if the (only) reason they pull you over for no front plate. Thank them for being observant. Mention to them how nice the car looks without the plate. (Hopefully you have a clean driving record and they should give you a pass). If not, stay out of that town or move away.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM

I never put the front plate on my XJ6 even though it does have holes. I live in Southern WI and never had an issue. The last time I got pulled over in the jaguar was for passing an old lady too quickly on a country road. I told the officer that I wasn't speeding and she was just going way too slow, and from where he was sitting it looked like I was going a lot faster than I was. Ha, I thought I was screwed as I was speeding. He said to just be careful as I had a much faster car then her-I guess he didn't see or care about the plate!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 PM

got my first ticket for no front plate, going to court next week, not sure what I'll do but will plead not guilty. NY state, young cop out of the academy, diligently with enthusiasm gave me the ticket b....d!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:38 PM

I took the fix-it ticket in Iowa, paid the $40, and never put the plate on.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 AM
Default Front plate ticket

In upstate NY for 2 yrs and I finally got a ticket for missing front plate, young cop fresh out of the academy, maybe I am wrong but they all look like kids to me now. Anyway, I pleaded non guilty and have postponed my court appearance but I will eventually have to appear... will keep you posted. In the meantime I am still driving without a front plate, I can't figure how to install one without making all kinds of holes in this beautiful bumper or sacrificing the grill. Any idea would be great.

Jaguar XKR 2003

Old 08-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How NOT to do it

In Indiana there is no front plate required, so when my Texas XJ8 had to have a new bumper cover installed, I asked the body shop Mgr to not re-install the front bracket & vanity plate. When I picked it up, front bracket & plate installed, Mgr told me the bumper cover came FROM JAGUAR with holes pre-drilled, so they put it back on. Unfortunately, the bleedin' idjits remounted the vanity plate with whopping big screws that dug 2 more holes in the bumper cover. If only they had called me FIRST. Darn, darn, darn!

Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate, Arghhh!-holy-bumper-cover.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Default F type WI

I live in WI and have owned an F-type for 2 years. They've left me alone but I live in the southeast part where you don't find the jerkwater hick cops that will pull you over to prove a point. I think most of the people that the bother are those who overrate their cars (Audi A4 owners I'm looking in your direction). I think they give me a pass for the most part.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I live in Iowa, an Illinois smokey pulled me over in my SSR for no front plate. Why should Illinois smokies care? I only got a warning, but now I temporarily put a plate on whenever I drive on an Illinois interstate. I don't want to do that with our brand new XF.

A few years ago, I did a ride-along with a county cop as part of a citizen academy. He said that they spend most of their time parked on the side of the road and running license plates through the computer. That is the reason that they want front and rear plates. Iowa has been trying to pass a law for a few years that would not require a front plate, but that has not made it all the way through yet. Evidently, those of us in favor of the bill don't have enough bribe money attached to our letters (really).

Last edited by Quicktruck; 09-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.