Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   US Northwest (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/)
-   -   Anyone willing to scan my car? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/anyone-willing-scan-my-car-217863/)

Corndonkey 05-16-2019 11:20 AM

Anyone willing to scan my car?

Hi--

I just bought an '04 XJ8, and while I'm planning to buy an engine/car code scanner, my wife would kill me if I drop another $150-200 on a tool right now. My car is showing the ABS Fault and DSC Not Available messages (as well as an intermittent Air Suspension Issue message, but I think I know what i'm doing there), and I'm hoping to find someone in the North Seattle area who has a scanner that can read these codes for me so I know what needs to be fixed. I'm of course happy to drive to you to minimize any inconvenience.

Thanks!
Rick

CleverName 05-16-2019 01:48 PM

Sweet car!
First and foremost, Welcome! :icon_toast:

I hope you find someone nearby to help, and meet a fellow Jag owner to boot!

I know the parts stores like O'Reilys or Autozone will scan for free. Not sure how exact they can be when it comes to Jags, but I would think they use a unit that is JLR capable.

I'd write down the codes and then have them cleared, to see if they come back and are still valid. From there, the forum specific to your X350 will certainly have many good answers for you.

BOL
Vince

AJ16er 05-16-2019 03:14 PM

If you can't find somebody to scan your car is simply not telling your wife the price of the tool an option?

pdupler 05-16-2019 07:41 PM

Most any of the chain parts stores will scan for codes for free in hopes of selling you whatever part the code suggests is faulty. But they likely can only read the standard OBD codes associated with engine/emissions performance. Still, there's probably such a store within a few blocks of you so why not start there and see if they can read it. But just get the code and don't buy anything yet. Come back here and research what may be causing it before you start throwing money at it. If it were an X308, it sounds suspiciously like the famous cracked solder joints on the circuit board inside our ABS servo unit, easily fixed with a steady hand, a nickel's worth of solder, a quart of brake fluid and a couple hours r&r.

Corndonkey 05-17-2019 10:22 AM

Thanks all. I have gone to AutoZone, but they can't scan for ABS issues. The did pull codes because my CEL was on (the car was low on coolant when I bought it - might have a heater core weep:icon_hide:), but the only code it threw was P1111, which was something about "system ready/OK".

I think i'll go ahead and buy the code reader - seems like an invaluable tool!

Rick

CleverName 05-18-2019 01:43 PM

Sorry it came to that....
I have the mongoose from china, but have never gotten the software to run on my w7pro laptop.
I might go back and fight with it some day..... I R A 'puter tek :icon_dunce:

GGG 05-18-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Corndonkey (Post 2072072)
.... I have gone to AutoZone, but they can't scan for ABS issues. The did pull codes because my CEL was on (the car was low on coolant when I bought it - might have a heater core weep:icon_hide:), but the only code it threw was P1111, which was something about "system ready/OK". ....

You will ALWAYS see either P1000 or P1111 - they are status codes not faults.

P1000: OnBoard monitoring tests not completed since last memory clear
P1111: OnBoard montoring tests complete

Ideally, you want to see P1111 and nothing else.

Most code readers/scan tools will read Powertrain codes (Pxxxx) but it takes Jaguar SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics) or the equivalent to read Bxxxx (Body), Cxxxx (Chassis) and Uxxxx (Network) codes.

A compatible scan tool is essential for Jaguar troubleshooting.

Graham

big mike 09-17-2019 02:24 PM

She might not mind the price of the scanner if you tell her it will keep the water coming from above the passenger foot-well