US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Front license plate in Texas required as of 9/1/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UK style plate on my sister's XJS

That's too bad, the XJS I bought for my sister came with a UK style plate on the front. I thought it would be a nice touch to keep it on there, but now I'm not sure.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Search the 'net. I believe there are US companies that make them for your plate number. Now there could be a legal issue...

Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I did some research on this about a year ago after being stopped several times for it and came to find out that the most they can do is give you a warning because when this particular law was written they forgot to list what the fine was for the offence. They may have corrected it since then but not at the time so all they could do was warn you but as mentioned it does give them a reason to stop you to check for other things.

UPDATE: We just bought the lil' lady a new XF whcih doesn't have the bracket mounted and evreyday i look at her XF and the look at mine and it looks sooooo much better without the dang plate strapped on so I decided to do some further, more recent, research on this and I found at that the "up to $200 fine" has been reinstated as an amendment to the original law. I however was unable to find anything on WHERE it states the plates are to be mounted. On the TXDPS site it states you must have two plates, one on the front and one on the rear of the vehicle but also mentions that placement is not specified so having it in the FRONT windshield SHOULD be acceptable however LE may not see it that way. In doing my research I found this little gadget that might be worth looking into:

Last edited by RodTee XF; 04-22-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Everest29
There's also an option for mounting the front plate without drilling into the front bumper. Some are even retractable.
So what is the option?

Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front License Plate

Originally Posted by Everest29
Interestingly, when I signed the papers for my XKR yesterday, they now have you sign a doc that states that they did tell you that the state of Texas requires a front license plate.

My girlfriend was pulled over last weekend on the way to Austin (in her new X3) for speeding and he also checked the warning for no front plate, but he didn't mention it. In the past, I've told them I'm waiting on a front bracket and kept the plate in the trunk, which has worked so far. I'll probably use that again if I get pulled over. Regardless, there's no way I'm drilling holes in my front bumper:

Agree. I, too, would rather not drill holes in the front bumper. I think the license plate would disrupt the look / clean lines of the car. Guess I will take my chances with law enforcement officials.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

My hubby and I were pulled over in the F150 for no plate. We too had been hit and the bracket was broken off there. My husband is retired law enforcement and thought the officer who chased us down over it was a jerk. The XK does not have a plate or anything mounted on the front and I will leave it that way until it becomes a problem. I have been looking at other cars and the front plate thing, and really there are still plenty without.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2012 XKR-S from a Plano dealership. It had a front license plate bracket already mounted on the front bumper. I took it off as soon as I got home. Lo and behold it had three holes drilled into the bumper. Really freaked me out. I went to the local auto parts store and purchased three small black plastic inserts and they worked perfectly. Just could not believe someone would drill holes in the bumper.

I have lived in Texas the betterpart of my life, mostly in the DFW area. I haven't had plates on the front of any cars I owned for years. Got stopped in Rockwall a few years ago by a state trooper. He said he stopped me because I didn't have a front plate on my car. Gave me a warning ticket.

So my plans are to remain the same. I am not planning to change my ways, no plates on the front, as they really just ruin the looks of these beautiful Jaguars.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Doncs
......So my plans are to remain the same. I am not planning to change my ways, no plates on the front, as they really just ruin the looks of these beautiful Jaguars.
I agree with you. Unfortunately we don't have the option in the UK or the rest of Europe. Plates are mandatory, so is their size and design.

At least the front bumper of the X150 was designed with a plate mounting area in mind unlike the earlier X100 and several other Jaguar models.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Front license plate in Texas required as of 9/1/13-xk_03.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this "NEW" law in Texas mean that out of State vehicles have to have a front plate I have been to Texas numerous times and not once have I noticed whether the cars there had front plates I do need to find this out being as I am out of town I live close to Oklahoma city and Oklahoma doesn't have front plate mind you I probably notice no rear plate on the majority of trucks I don't mean pickups and alot of cars seem to be missing rear tags, kind of makes me wonder why I bother buying a yearly tag: oh I know because the fine is out of the world.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

out of state vehicles fall under the laws of their state so Texas could not cite you for not having one.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Not on my F-Type. Ever. They can give me 10 tickets.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Aaaaannd it happened! I was pulled over this morning by Lancaster PD on the way to work, for not having a front plate. Interestingly, a couple weeks ago I realized I don't have a registration sticker in the window. Don't know if I got it and misplaced or didn't get it... However, the officer came up to the window, super polite, told me he was pulling me over for the missing plate, but he did not run my tags or my license when I gave it to him, he didn't write me a warning or a ticket for the missing sticker, didn't admonish me for not having the plate. He was very polite. I think he just wanted to look at the car.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Texas doesn’t require window stickers anymore. When you get your car inspected they electronic send same to the state and your plates are them renewed or issued.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Doncs
Texas doesn’t require window stickers anymore. When you get your car inspected they electronic send same to the state and your plates are them renewed or issued.
Unless something new happened in the last couple months, my understanding is the inspection sticker has been done away with, but not the registration sticker. I just renewed registration for two cars in December and received window stickers for each.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:36 PM

You are correct