Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   US Southwest (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-southwest-37/)
-   -   Was nice while it lasted (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-southwest-37/nice-while-lasted-83859/)

cadengineer 10-31-2012 08:28 PM

Was nice while it lasted

Picked up a nice XKR convertible a couple of months ago and thought it was the best car ever. :)

Last week a drunk driver rammed the side after failing to stop at a stop sign and now our poor Jag is a Total loss, Insurance company has made an offer however it is way lower than what it would take to buy the same car again, so I am looking for an assessment to counter. :(

Would anyone know a good contact in the Houston area to value a comparable car.?

Any links to a 2012/13 replacement would be nice also.

P.s. everyone walked away from the accident without a scratch, no airbag deployed and the wife (who was driving at the time) says the car took a big bang. She is certain had it been any other car then the story might have been different.

Norri 10-31-2012 08:46 PM

Good to hear that everyone was ok, sorry about the car.
You could try and contact forum member Brutal, he is a tech in your area who might be able to give you some advice / help.

GGG 11-01-2012 03:59 AM

Good news no one was injured.

Hope you can get out of this without also taking a financial hit.

Graham

joycesjag 11-01-2012 05:29 AM

As mentioned above, sorry to hear. Hopefully Brutal may be able to help you out.

Good luck to you and your wife

Brutal 11-01-2012 08:34 AM

Personally I would push for a replacement since their insured was at fault and drunk. A legal/court battle(I hate lawsuits but sometimes necessary) to recoup loss would be a better way to go. Their first offer is always gonna be low and is subject to interpretation of value both of the car and added suffering. Its great your wife is fine but they should make like an ad and return the situation for ya'll like it never happened. I would look online for replacement advertised values and go from there. The differance being the mental anguish your family has suffered as a result and the "potential" ramifications. I feel a replacement vaule would sufice to not proceed with further legal action. They know if you hire an attorney it will be more money theyll have to pay out just in reimbursed legal fees and since its a "drunk driving" case they dont stand on stable ground atall in todays veiw of these type of accidents. Theyre tryin to focus you on the "value" of the car, I would "refocus" them on the total picture.:)

cadengineer 12-15-2012 09:53 PM

Now Settled - Thanks

Insurance company lowballed, we countered with an independent appraiser and Insurance company accepted the full appraisal value that was very close -1000 to what we had paid 3 months earlier. Now we are looking at a New XKR but the coupe not the convertible. Instead of black were now looking at racing red..

Thanks all

PrimeX 12-17-2012 09:02 AM

Congrats, but really confused as to why the airbags didn't deploy. That's worrisome.

smoothy 12-20-2012 08:04 AM

You are lucky to be alive my friend. This is one of the most fatal accidents a person can be in according to fatality statistics.

Have an extra Merry Christmas and of course best of luck getting the car worked out.

cadengineer 12-23-2012 01:38 PM

picked up the new XKR yesterday, same as before but with the awesome sounding performance exhaust.....prrrrrrrr is now a roar!!!

Norri 12-23-2012 01:56 PM

Congratulations, now we need a pic!

Thermo 12-23-2012 06:05 PM

PrimeX, the reason why the airbags did not deploy is that the computer sensed the crash from the side, not a head on collision. Therefore, to prevent additional injury to the occupants, it will hold off deploying the air bags. I know is sounds counter intuitive, but the air bags on most cars are only meant to deploy on a head on collision. If you get hit in the side, they will not do anything.

cadengineer 01-19-2013 10:47 PM

2013 with New Inserts

4 Attachment(s)
installed these new red inserts to match the red stitching. Looks good.

Benjamin K. Sanchez 02-14-2013 10:45 PM

Thanks for the information Thermo. I was wondering about the non-deployment of the airbags as well!

JustNiz 04-01-2013 04:37 PM

Was your smashed car a new-shape XKR? (2006+)?

I understand Thermo's comment about not deploying the front airbag for a side impact, but I thought the 2006+ XK's all have side airbags (in the seat squabs). My 2008 XKR does anyway.