Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   US Western (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/)
-   -   Black XK8 coupé ar Sears Point race track Saturday (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/black-xk8-coup%E9-ar-sears-point-race-track-saturday-202728/)

150FHC 06-04-2018 01:37 AM

Black XK8 coupé at Sears Point race track Saturday

Looked just like mine, which was also there. Anyone here? Mine is an '06. Not sure of the year of the one I saw. It drove by the Land Rover off-road course when I was waiting for my turn. Didn't see it again.

After driving a new Range Rover on the off-road course, I went over to the Jaguar Slalom course where I got to flog a new XF and a new F-Type coupé, two laps each, over a nice slalom course. Most fun I've had in many years. Drove very aggressively and managed to not hit any cones. Last time I drove through a slalom course was about 55 years ago. Wish I could have kept flogging the F-Tyoe for a lot more laps, so I could really get to know it.

Granville

tberg 06-09-2018 09:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I can't even imagine driving my X100 on the track, its handling is so loosey goosey. My X150, on the other hand, is very comfortable on the track and has been there many times. Next week I get my old cat,a 1972 De Tomaso Pantera back from a 4 year restoration/modifaction to make it more drivable. Although, I had promised myself, years ago, to retire it permanently from track use after spinning twice at Sonoma Raceway, I plan on taking it one last time just to safely test its newly installed 500+hp/550ft.lbs. torque engine's limits. I'm sure you had a lot of fun with the F-type, I took a couple of laps at Buttonwillow back in December, 2013 when they first came out, care of Jaguarforums arrangement with JLR. Lots of fun.

150FHC 08-30-2018 11:44 PM

I see that your X100 is a convertible while your X150 is a coupé, which has a lot to do with the difference in handling. I came back to this thread because of a current discussion on the X100 forum says a lot about the jiggly jello ride/handling of convertibles and much tighter handling of the coupés. I have to take their word as I have only driven my own coupé and have no complaint about the handling. I certainly dont consider it loosey goosey. I have not driven an X159. The only F-Type I've driven was a also coupe, in that autocross at Sears Point. It seemed plenty right.

Cheers,

Granville

Firecat17 09-20-2018 09:25 PM

That's an interesting comment you made regarding handling ability. The convertible was designed before the coupe as far as i can remember. What's different?

150FHC 09-20-2018 11:10 PM

I meant X150 of course, not X159.

Coupes are v much stiffer because of the rigidity the roof adds. Convertibles are generally heavier, too, because of added structure to try in vain to make up for the lack of a roof. I've complained that my coupe cannot be all open on the sides but realize that fixed quarter lights and presence of fat B pillars adds stiffness and better rollover protection.

Granville

Ophitoxaemia 02-14-2019 10:46 AM

I have autocrossed and street driven both a 1997 XK8 convertible and my current 2000 XK8 coupe, albeit both on street tires. The two cars drive very differently. The extra stiffness of the coupe is noticeable both on and off course. But it's still a big, jiggly car.