Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   US Western (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/)
-   -   Moving from OR to Ventura CA, needs advise (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/moving-ventura-ca-needs-advise-177978/)

zidjan 03-09-2017 02:42 PM

Moving from OR to Ventura CA, needs advise

Hi folks, I will be moving to Ventura County, CA in July and will be buying a home there...I've been there a few times and generally would like to be in Thousand Oaks area, My new job will be in Ventura ...I want to be closer to Santa Monica as well, hence my initial thought would be in Thousand Oaks and neighboring town, my ideal travel time is between 30-45 mins ... so I wonder which area should I avoid and any other places I could consider...I prefer anywhere along hwy 101 thus far I am considering:

Thousand Oaks
Camarillo
Oxnard .... I heard mixed opinions about this, unsafe neighborhood?
Newbury Park

any ideas or thoughts?

tberg 03-10-2017 10:07 PM

zidjan,
From Thousand Oaks to Santa Monica can be done in 45 minutes between the hours of 3am and 4am, literally no other time. If you're talking about travel time to Ventura it can be done but there is always traffic through Camarillo and Oxnard. What is your budget and how big of a house? No, I'm not a broker, but have lived in Southern California for all 64 of my years, have worked on thousands of homes in the area, and know the terrain very well.
PM me if you have any specific questions, and I'll do my best to get you accurate answers.
Ted

150FHC 03-11-2017 12:47 AM

Wanting to be close to Santa Monica seems a troubling limitation and some dreadful commuting. Ventura is not a bad town but my first choice, had I sufficient budget, would be Ojai. I also love Montecito but again the commute would be hard. I lived there, in Oxnard, and in Goleta, years ago, but a lot has changed since then. I have been back for a visit a couple times and Ojai was still appealing.

zidjan 03-11-2017 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tberg (Post 1636511)
zidjan,
From Thousand Oaks to Santa Monica can be done in 45 minutes between the hours of 3am and 4am, literally no other time. If you're talking about travel time to Ventura it can be done but there is always traffic through Camarillo and Oxnard. What is your budget and how big of a house? No, I'm not a broker, but have lived in Southern California for all 64 of my years, have worked on thousands of homes in the area, and know the terrain very well.
PM me if you have any specific questions, and I'll do my best to get you accurate answers.
Ted

Pm ing you

zidjan 03-11-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 150FHC (Post 1636547)
Wanting to be close to Santa Monica seems a troubling limitation and some dreadful commuting. Ventura is not a bad town but my first choice, had I sufficient budget, would be Ojai. I also love Montecito but again the commute would be hard. I lived there, in Oxnard, and in Goleta, years ago, but a lot has changed since then. I have been back for a visit a couple times and Ojai was still appealing.

Thanks 150, yeah Ojai montecito goleta would be too far if I ever need to go to LA plus looks like some of this place would be too rich for my monetary capacity hahaha...I'll need to earn significantly more to afford these places

tahoemedic 03-18-2017 01:27 AM

Having grown up in Thousand Oaks I can tell you it used to be a great place. Now it's too crowded and home prices are ridiculous compared to areas 10 miles away. I strongly suggest Camarillo. Housing is more reasonable and highway 1 gets you to Santa Monica a lot faster than the 101/405

818 03-25-2017 11:58 AM

Hi ZidJan,

These gentlemen are correct, that drive via 405&101 is probably the worst daily commute imaginable. Have you considered Santa Clarita or Valley areas?

Yes, I'm a full time real estate agent out here. Are you working with someone already? Ether way, I'm here if you have any questions.
-Vic

zidjan 03-30-2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by tahoemedic (Post 1641153)
Having grown up in Thousand Oaks I can tell you it used to be a great place. Now it's too crowded and home prices are ridiculous compared to areas 10 miles away. I strongly suggest Camarillo. Housing is more reasonable and highway 1 gets you to Santa Monica a lot faster than the 101/405

As matter of fact. we are in the process of buying a small house 1150 sqft for $540k in Newbury Park, I love the area, close to the amenities and 101....I love Camarillo too, those are the two areas that I ended focusing in.... so HWY 1 is faster to Santa Monica huh? good to know...is it dependable on time or consistently faster?

Originally Posted by 818 (Post 1645698)
Hi ZidJan,

These gentlemen are correct, that drive via 405&101 is probably the worst daily commute imaginable. Have you considered Santa Clarita or Valley areas?

Yes, I'm a full time real estate agent out here. Are you working with someone already? Ether way, I'm here if you have any questions.
-Vic

My wife will be working in Ventura/Oxnard hence our options to stay relatively close, Thousand Oaks area seems to be perfectly located.

tberg 03-31-2017 10:44 AM

zidjan,
Congratulations on your purchasing a house in Newbury Park, nice area. Let me know when you get moved in, maybe we can get together.
Ted

818 04-01-2017 04:02 PM

congrats zidjan,

Best of luck with your escrow. Yes, Newbury Park is a great area.

+1 lets get together when you're out here.

roseklee 10-05-2021 03:08 PM

Moving into a new house is a big decision that can change your life because you start a new chapter. Last month I moved with my friends to Sunderland. We wanted to have our home near the university, so we could easily arrive at the right place, in the right time. We asked for help at Mortgage Broker Sunderland, because they are the best company in this domain. My father recommended me this website https://www.Sunderlandmoneyman.com. He found his house also with this company. The prices are suitable, and it doesn`t take too much time. They give you the exact thing you want. I recommend it with my pleasure.

Susie Q 10-11-2021 03:13 PM

Welcome Home...

Originally Posted by zidjan (Post 1635511)
Hi folks, I will be moving to Ventura County, CA in July and will be buying a home there...I've been there a few times and generally would like to be in Thousand Oaks area, My new job will be in Ventura ...I want to be closer to Santa Monica as well, hence my initial thought would be in Thousand Oaks and neighboring town, my ideal travel time is between 30-45 mins ... so I wonder which area should I avoid and any other places I could consider...I prefer anywhere along hwy 101 thus far I am considering:

Thousand Oaks
Camarillo
Oxnard .... I heard mixed opinions about this, unsafe neighborhood?
Newbury Park

any ideas or thoughts?

Welcome home!

I'm just seeing this older post. Hope you've been settling in well.

I left Ventura County for OR lol (PDX and Newport), then moved back last year to be closer to family. I lived in Ventura, Camarillo, and Ojai for 15 years (loved them all) and was a location scout for films, so I was traveling all over creation every day. Glad you avoided "the Valley" and "the Nard." There are nice areas, but more crime, congestion, noise, stress, and pollution.

Newbury Park is a great spot! Well located for commuting in either direction, quieter than other places, and room to breathe. Amazing hiking/biking trails in the SM Mts Park right off of Portrero, with a creek (in season), vast open space, and breathtaking ridge trails overlooking the ocean! The PCH/101 is prime for biking, surfing, more trails, and good recreational driving when it's not busy. I used to do the "Big Rock" at Pt Mugu to Malibu and back regularly. Spectacular! You have great access to so much beauty and recreation!

Being "above the (Camarillo) grade" is much better getting to/from S Monica, and still good for 'the 'Nard.' You can completely avoid the 101 in both directions if you wish. As noted in a previous post, to make it to SM in 45 mins you will need to leave home at 3AM and it'll still take an hour + on the 101/405.

PCH/US 1 is just as jammed as everywhere else from SMonica to Pt Dume during the AM and PM rush, and it's gorgeous, but a local road, so you will have surfers, shoppers, school busses, and sightseers... and so much beauty to be distracted by...so not much of a hardship unless you're pressed for time. It was my choice when the timing was right...and the ride home watching the sun set can't be beat, even during heavy rush. Another great place to pause and enjoy until the rush passes is The Main Getty Museum (off the 405).

On the way in (or home), you can cut over Portrero Rd to Westlake Blvd (a fabulous country rd in a nice car) and head to the coast on the 23. It's not as well cared for and prime territory for motorcycle racing/wrecks. Better maintained roads I had good luck with were Kanaan and Las Virgenes Rds, depending on traffic (Topanga is fun, but usually busy).

Hopefully COVID opened up more telecommuting for you so you can enjoy more time... enjoying where you live.

Jag repairs nearby...The new(er) dealership in TOaks has mixed reviews for repairs. You'll usually have better luck with an indie shop if you can find one you can trust. "Steve's" in Canoga Park; has good reviews, but I've not personally experienced their work.

There are others closer in LA/SMonica other folks here might have good experience with.

The shop listed in Ventura on Thomson seems to be closed.

Santa Barbara: I lived there a while. Bob Jarret is the only one I'd feel OK recommending. He primarily works on Rovers/Astons now, but previously did Jags exclusively and will make time for you. Did not have good experiences with the rest there (regardless of their fancy website Ayers-ertions). The dealership's attitude in SB was truly offensive, over priced, and they didn't have a tech that knew a Cat older than 5 years.

I've settled in Monterey/Carmel this time. I do miss my guy at the Jag Shop in Portland, but he was able to connect me with an old friend with a shop here that does great work at very fair prices, and there are other good resources a bit further north in SJose/SFO.

Congrats on your new home! Not as much in terms of old growth forests and waterfalls, but the warmer coastline is fabulous, and the Nor Cal forests and Sierras are magnificent!