Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   US Western (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/)
-   -   Planning next years holiday. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/planning-next-years-holiday-133280/)

Hawken 12-19-2014 04:06 PM

Planning next years holiday.

Well I've convinced the cook that we need to do a Pebble beach/Goodwood revival trip next year and hoping to get some good tips for the US leg.
We've spent a little time in America in the past but always in the winter so this time we'd like to spend the 3 weeks after Pebble Beach further north, (Yosemite, Yellowstone, and some of the big trees.)
We'll probably leave for the UK from the west coast so a few days in the Boston area is a possibility as well.

So my questions are.

Any advice for attending Pebble Beach. (The concourse is on the Sunday only? are there any other associated events you would recommend?) Where to stay.

Any must see automotive stuff near our other destinations. (or on the way.)
I'm interested in anything with wheels that burns fuel.

We'll be renting a car so getting from place to place isn't a problem.

The only plan so far is arrive in San Francisco or LA on the 13th of August, Arrive in the UK on the 10th of September.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Ken

GGG 12-19-2014 05:10 PM

Ken,

That sounds like a superb trip.

I think you'll get more 'views' and advice on the Pebble Beach part by posting this in USA Western Region. Do you want me to move it for you?

Graham

Hawken 12-20-2014 05:54 PM

Thanks Graham, A good idea to move the post to the regional section

Ken

GGG 12-20-2014 06:05 PM

Ken,

I've moved it and left a redirect from the original location in Off Topic forum.

Graham

Hawken 12-22-2014 02:41 AM

Thanks Graham.

shift 12-27-2014 02:29 AM

Monterey Car Week is amazing. I'll write up more details tomorrow but there's just so many things to do that entire week. This was the 2014 events:Monterey Car Week, Monterey, California, your only source for complete events schedules and local information.

Hawken 12-27-2014 05:13 AM

Thanks for the link. Just what I was after.
The Concourse d'Lemons looks like a good get on the Saturday.
I wouldn't mind going to some of the auctions but that could end in disaster, not easy to drive a new car home from there. :)

shift 12-28-2014 06:57 PM

Monterey Car Week is not to be missed if you are a car enthusiast. The entire week there are events every day. Some random tips/thoughts:

- plan your lodging in advance. hotels book fast and last minute is very expensive. or you can try to stay in San Jose area and drive down to Monterey (about 1.5 hour). Lots more hotel options there but you have to deal with the traffic and driving.

- there are many free events and clubs that do informal meetups. you can just hang out on Ocean Ave in Carmel and see tons of great cars coming in/out.

- some of the exclusive auctions are still worth a visit even if you don't have tickets. I was going to stop by the Porsche PCA "Werks" event but decided to drive down the road to the Bonhams auction to just check it out from the outside (no tickets). WOW. The parking lot (free) had more Ferraris, Porsche, Lambos, McLarens, SLS, etc. than I've ever seen. I parked next to a McLaren P1 without even realizing it at first.

- If you like motorsports, you must visit Laguna Seca for the classic races. Vintage Ferraris, Jags, etc. racing around.

Hope that helps. I'll be back this year again. Hopefully can get a Jaguar Bay Area meetup to drive down to Monterey.

Hawken 12-29-2014 01:43 AM

Thanks, That helps heaps.

Once the holidays are over and we confirm time off I'll start to book accommodation.
We'll try and stay as close to Monterey as possible. I don't mind driving as we live in the country and are used to covering distance, but traffic is a different thing.