Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   US Western (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/)
-   -   Transmission flush in Long Beach CA? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/transmission-flush-long-beach-ca-140037/)

Polyesterpig 04-01-2015 01:23 PM

Transmission flush in Long Beach CA?

I have a 2011 5.0 n/a engine with the ZF 6hp26 transmission with 60k miles and looking for a shop to do a fluid flush. Any suggestions. I know Jaguar says the fluid is lifetime, but I want to take this car to the afterlife too. Need somebody that knows these transmissions and uses Original ZF parts and fluid. Thanks for any suggestions. I would also be willing to travel to LA or OC. The Jag dealers quoted me $1300 & 1500! That is for replacing the pan and putting 7 liters of Zf fluid back in. This did not include flushing the torque converter.

jagpartsexclusive 04-08-2015 03:29 PM

It seems you have gone past the standard warranty period so. Any ZF Lifeguard 6hp spec fluid will do, aka M1375.4 spec. You can find Mobil 1 syn ATF, Febi, Redline D6 online for fraction of the price from the dealership. IF you are really cheap you do the Ford Mercon SP or Mercon V ATF route. Find the pan on online on Amazon of Ebay for less.

Al Jag repair in Torrance area is nearby but any reputable BMW repair shop, more common in the area, will do because they work on the ZF5 and ZF6 ATX. Only hard part is the refill based on temp.

Polyesterpig 04-10-2015 10:08 AM

Thanks, I went to ALs Jag and he suggested that I shouldn't worry about the fluid because it is lifetime. Great shop, and I will go back for other services. I have contacted multiple BMW dealers and independent BMW shops and non are willing to flush the trans fluid because it is a Jaguar....

Magic Hat 04-29-2015 02:48 AM

OK, so that's Al's Jag crossed off my potential list of shops. Any shop that talks about lifetime fluids does not understand fluids. Or, of course, is interested in lower lifetimes. Does >anyone< in LA have a good indy source? The rest of the country seems to manage but so far I'm 0 for 3 So Cal.

Magic Hat 05-01-2015 04:57 PM

Found one: Pasadena British Services is the only shop I've found that truly passes the audition:
1) No BS about lifetime fluids - top quote: "Yes, Bentley used to claim that.... and look how that bit them in the ass...." as we surveyed a row of sad looking Continentals
2) No nonsense about the fluid being super expensive (ZF lifeguard just ain't that hard to google guys)
3) Very matter of fact about the whole thing: It's not a big deal. It's strange to say but some of the shops I've visited almost seemed intimidated by the prospect of doing the work.
Any how now I've found my shop I thought I'd at least put up the results for future searchers.

larney 05-16-2015 08:50 PM

Would be interested in how the trans fluid changed worked out. Any updates for the rest of us?
Thanks.

Magic Hat 05-18-2015 07:33 PM

Not had the work done yet, will post back afterwards with what comments I have.

Tvahedi 05-22-2015 11:36 PM

I am having delivered next week a 2011 XKR with 57k miles from Texas. While the CPO goes another 2.5 years or 100k, I would like to do a similar flush of the transmission. Crazy, Hornburg quoted $2,000 to flush and change filter and $2500 to rebuild tranny of it blew (huh?)

How much were you quoted by the Pasadena shop? Did they tell you if they could do the work while you wait? A reliable source said an indy should charge about $650

2014 XJL
2011 XKR Poltrano Frau

Magic Hat 05-23-2015 12:57 AM

Mmmmmm XKR's make my eyes go into soft focus mode.....

Two large for a flush is mental... on the other hand 2.5 for a rebuild sounds cheap - the lowest cost I've found (for a place I would trust to do a decent job) is ~$3.5k.

Pasadena British quoted me in the low ballpark range of what your source came up with. They were at least $200 less than anyone else. If you're doing the job correctly it's not really a service you can perform in a while-u-wait time frame but they did say that a next day turn around is possible.

ts114 05-29-2015 11:17 PM

what's your opinion of drain and fill versus flush and fill? I've heard that if you let the mileage go too high that flushing can have a negative effect.

Magic Hat 05-29-2015 11:30 PM

I'm far from an expert but the places I went to recommended the drain and fill rather than the flush. What possible negatives have been mentioned with regard to a full flush?

HerbB 06-06-2015 03:37 AM

Best independent Jag shop in Orange County is Custom European Motor Cars
15721 Chemical Lane Huntington Beach, CA 92649. Phone is 714-894-5767. They will never sell you anything that's not needed and will work on the tricky jobs as well as normal maintenance. They even repaired the air con on my wife's 280ZX. Even though parts are no longer available, they managed to find them.

Wolfy 12-29-2015 05:12 PM

Torrance Transmission Service on Hawthorne Blvd says they can do mine for $550. They specialize in ZF tranny. All other indie shops quoted me $700-900.

Seriously, we need a new Jaguar dealership in the South Bay.

Polyesterpig 01-20-2016 10:27 PM

6 Speed oil change kit Jaguar

Here is the kit you need to do the drop and drain. You can buy more zf fluid if you want to do a flush. You will also need an accurate torque wrench that goes down to 10nm & a infrared thermometer. The XJs already have the larger #40 torx screws, so you don't need to upgrade from the #27 torx. You need to let the fluid drain out of the fill plug and cap it off at 40c (104f). If you drive the vehicle to the service, it will take a long time to cool down to 40c. Hours, so I understand why shops say to drop it off.

On the ctsc website he has some good info on how to do the services in the faq section