Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European tyre ratings for grip, mpg & noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default European tyre ratings for grip, mpg & noise.

All tyres sold in the European Union now come with ratings for

1 -Wet grip. A measure of the tyre’s braking ability on wet roads. Wet grip is rated from A (highest rating) to F (lowest rating).

2 -Fuel efficiency. A measure of the tyre’s rolling resistance, which has an impact on your vehicle’s fuel efficiency. Rated from A (highest rating) to G (lowest rating).

3 -Noise. A measure of the external noise generated by the tyre, in decibels. The black sound waves indicate the noise class of the tyre, from 1 (quiet) to 3 (loud).

The label that now comes with all tyres looks like this

Many sites selling tyres now include the ratings, so it is easy to compare them

/ R Tyres Search Results

I had a look at my present tyre rating, as we do not like it for being noisy and poor wet grip and it does not do well. It is the Westlake SA-07 and whilst it is cheap it rates E for mpg, E for wet grip and is in the noisiest bracket at 74db. I would say the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx comes out top with C for mpg, A for wet grip and 68db which is the quietest tyre I can find. It is almost twice the price of the Westlake, but despite the Westlake's poor performance, price and rating have no connection. Some very expensive tyres do badly as well.

So this rating system is worth noting to help you choose your next set of tyres.

PS - note the UK spelling "tyres"

Attached Thumbnails European tyre ratings for grip, mpg & noise.-tire_label_tcm2077-115109.png  
Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

You're right Delta on the points mentioned, but, you also forgot to mention 2 other important factors when considering new tyres....

Temperature rating and Treadwear rating.

Certain Continentals have a Treadwear rating of 240 whilst The Barum Bravuris 2 I used on my A6 had a Treadwear rating of 360.

This meant that the Barums were likely to last around half as long again as the Conti's, but were slightly less grippy iirc.

I believe the Conti's were AA and the Barum's were A rated........Barum tyres are made in Czech Rep and owned by Conti.

Almost all other measurements were identical, perhaps the decibel rating was 72db and 73db respectively.

Its just 2 other factors to take into account....

I'm not keen on the Westlakes myself, but if looking you might consider the Barums?

For me on 19 255 35's it was around £1200 for Continentals / Bridgestones or around £600 for Barums.
After quite extensive testing on the Passat, Vectra and Audi A6 it was no brainer for me

Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know why the EU chose the ratings they have, wear rate would have been one I would want to see.

My wife who usually uses the car now reported that with the Westlakes the mpg dropped slightly, so the E rating is right. We had Yokohamas on before, but do not know which ones. I have had Barums before on our Volvo S80 and was very happy, I see the Bravaris is E for mpg which is poor, C for wet grip which is average and 72db which is just over average. They are £103 with fitting ontop.