Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's for X308 XJ Sport/18' XJR Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's for X308 XJ Sport/18' XJR Wheels

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd post my review of the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons for my XJ Sport.

I bought the car with standard Michelin PSs and they were great for the warmer weather but as soon as things started to get cold, so did the driving experience...especially in the rain.

I looked these up on TireRack and they came highly recommended through buyer reviews.

I live in Nj where it can get cold and snow can exist but not all that often.

So far so good.

It's easy the tell that the A/Ss are much softer than the regular Pilot Sports, especially when it comes to cornering hard.

But they hold the road extremely well and so far wet performance in the cold is great.

Ride quality and road noise are definitely much better, obviously because of the increased softness.

I have yet to drive these in the snow. But these were tires that were said to have great traction for an all-season performance...which is like saying using a condom while having sex with a prostitute is much better than not using a condom while having sex with a prostitute...fact of the matter is you're still having sex with a prostitute...

Anyway...I've read reviews from people with BMWs with sports packages, and Mercedes-Benzes with AMG wheels and while of course these are tires that are not meant for you to go plowing through the deepest of snow, they suffice if you were to get "caught" in snow on your way home. And with me, who drives up north to go skiing quite a bit only seasonally, these seemed like the ideal choice.

Aside from the lack of a snow review, so far so good and I'll keep you guys updated on how they do throughout ownership and use.

here's the link on Tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t&autoModClar=

Last edited by chinny4290; 12-05-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I did a lot of research looking for thr best A/S tire available for my 05 XJR and the Michelin Pilot Sports consistantly came out on top. Unfortunately I just could not justify the cost. In general they run nearly twice as much as the next level of tires.
I'm a member of the "you get what you pay for" crowd" so I suspect you are going to be really pleased with these tires.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys. I thought I would update you on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses.

I'm sitting at home in the midst of this crazy Christmas Nor'Easter/Blizzard. So far about six inches have fallen and I drove a solid 30 miles around to test the tires out.

Here's a pic of waht it looked like outside:

All I can say is, that they SUFFICE. They are no means meant to go plowing through the deepest of snow. But they are great for a performance oriented all-season tire.

Never got stuck and when I did, i employed traditional methods to get me unstuck and I was able to without any outside help.

The rest is entirely up to you, and if you know how to handle a RWD car in the snow you will be perfectly fine.

So to sum it up, I recommend these tires so far on traction and performance, ride quality and road noise. They almost don't get any better than this.

Comments on treadwear etc will come later.

Hope this helps anyone.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to read the good reviews, so glad I just ordered a set for my 01 vandem plau. will let you know how I like them.