Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension-handling-46/)
-   -   Wheel refurb 20" Callisto's (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension-handling-46/wheel-refurb-20-callistos-115411/)

JimC64 04-08-2014 10:58 AM

Wheel refurb 20" Callisto's

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so probably like a few here with the bigger rims I have an issue with my 20" Callisto alloys

They're in good shape ( good not great, but still good ) as regards the finish, but....

After checking brakes ( all seem good ) front suspension and rear suspension all done, tyres all seem ok, I suspect that my wheels may be a little buckled.......nothing to really see but on a balancer or car on a lift with engine running there is a slight movement.

My guess is at around 70mph or maybe a little more somtimes that is amplified significantly, so today, I went to visit Wheelpro Scotland...

They're based in Easterhouse just off the M8 Jcntn 9 near Real Radio, and also have branches in the West of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

They're going to straighten or ( round out ) my wheels and do a FULL refurb on them, stripping them right back then applying the finish after being reworked, for a very good price!!

There's so many combinations they can offer it'll make you dizzy....lol

I'm going for a hyper silver on mine, with a nice metallic flake...

They also had this in for a customer as they also offer hydro dipping....wow

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1396972694

If you ever contact them, ask for Gary and mention my name or Jaguarforums for perhaps a little discount....

Booked in for Friday 18th

jaguny 04-09-2014 06:56 AM

That's sharp looking!

MarcB 04-15-2014 12:54 PM

Jim:

When they refinish the wheels are you going to have them painted or polished? Apparently they were offered in both finishes.

JimC64 04-15-2014 01:44 PM

Hey MarcB, Having them painted in Hyper Silver ( a mettalic with plenty of flake )

Currently they're in the flat look finish and I'm not overly keen.

Its more to try and get them straightened out, or should I say rounded as they have a few very slight buckles here n there I'm hoping to get fixed for a smoooother ride

MarcB 04-15-2014 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got it, I just had eight Callistos repaired, two were cracked but true (odd as they seem very structurally sound, but the metal is brittle) It appears the dealer I purchased the car from had the wheels painted as a "touch up" but the spare was in its original polished state but very curbed. I picked three up off of eBay which the previous owner had powdercoated matte gray. To each his own, but yuck!
I had them fully polished, face and barrel, and I have to say IMHO they look great.

JimC64 04-15-2014 07:15 PM

Thanks marcB...........I agree they look really nice andset the car off for sure.

Cambo 04-15-2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MarcB (Post 955434)
.....I have to say IMHO they look great.

Sorry to go off topic, but that is one low Super V8 Portfolio!

Do you drive it around at that ride height? Must be nightmare, especially in long wheelbase...

MarcB 04-17-2014 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351 (Post 955495)
Sorry to go off topic, but that is one low Super V8 Portfolio!

Do you drive it around at that ride height? Must be nightmare, especially in long wheelbase...

Yes it is but this particular picture is a bit of an optical illusion, as it is about 1.5 inches (38mm) lower than factory spec. No issues with clearance anywhere yet and I've put about 10k miles on it all over the West coast of the U.S. since it was done.

JimC64 04-19-2014 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so the wheels are done, pretty nice too.....

A shadow silver, with a little shine that doesn't seem to show too well in the pics...oh well!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1397932121

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1397932121

Had a few runs in her at speed at the steering wobble is definitely improved somewhat too.

sklimii 04-19-2014 01:46 PM

they turned out quite nice!!!

magmedia 04-19-2014 05:21 PM

Wonderful!

MarcB 04-19-2014 07:15 PM

Well done!

Black_Cat 06-14-2016 12:32 AM

Looking for one Calisto wheel for my 2006 XJ Portfolio, any help greatly appreciated

JimC64 06-14-2016 04:24 AM

Hi Black Cat, sorry, mine were sold as a set, long gone
Have you tried Ebay / Craigslist etc?

2006portfolio 12-01-2023 09:50 AM

Question: 20" Callisto Wheels

Hey Marc, my name is Martin. I am new to this forum. I have a 2006 Super V8 Portfolio with wheels just like yours. I see in this old post that you had them refurbished and am trying to learn more about that. I see lots of people having them power coated but I don't want to do that, as currently they are polished aluminum with some type of clear coating, and I cant' find someone to do the work.

Regards,
Martin H

Originally Posted by MarcB (Post 955434)
Got it, I just had eight Callistos repaired, two were cracked but true (odd as they seem very structurally sound, but the metal is brittle) It appears the dealer I purchased the car from had the wheels painted as a "touch up" but the spare was in its original polished state but very curbed. I picked three up off of eBay which the previous owner had powdercoated matte gray. To each his own, but yuck!
I had them fully polished, face and barrel, and I have to say IMHO they look great.

GGG 12-06-2023 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2006portfolio (Post 2699718)
Hey Marc, my name is Martin. I am new to this forum. I have a 2006 Super V8 Portfolio with wheels just like yours. I see in this old post that you had them refurbished and am trying to learn more about that. I see lots of people having them power coated but I don't want to do that, as currently they are polished aluminum with some type of clear coating, and I cant' find someone to do the work.

Regards,
Martin H

Welcome to the forums Martin,

MarcB was last on the forum in April 2018 so you are unlikely to receive a reply. However, posting your phone number and eMail address on a public forum is an absolute guarantee you will get plenty of replies from spammers everywhere. I've removed these details for your privacy.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham